• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Experiences with CGS Hyperion?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    Found a good deal at a local dealer on the CGS Hyperion suppressor. I would be using it strictly on .308 bolt action rifles off a tripod or bench, so the size doesn't bother me. I had been leaning towards the Nomad-L, but now seriously considering the Hyperion. A couple of things do concern me though. One is how durable is the 3D printed titanium construction versus traditional methods? Anyone heard of any issues? I couldn't find any with the Googles. Also, it is designed to use Sig's 25 degree taper, although CGS says it will work on a 90 degree shoulder as well. Using it on a 90 degree shoulder sounds half-assed to me. So I'd either have to get my gunsmith to thread my barrels with the correct taper, or use one of their muzzle devices. Any thoughts?

I have the Hyperion K, the shoulder taper is a non issue on anything with a solid 90° shoulder. Don't waste your $$ on the thread adapter or gun smith. For reference I have a .800" shoulder and it's God's plenty.

Reactions: Arc Light
    I have a Hyperion, an older thunderbeast 7, and TB ultra 5. I have also compared it to a TB ultra 9. The Hyperion is an amazing can and definitely is quieter compared to the listed cans. 3D printed cans are the future in can technology. I still love my other cans but my Hyperion is a beast. The Hyperion K is on my short list of things to buy.
    DC44F6F3-6D63-4A5C-9E21-AD8313738F05.jpeg
    646D8151-F5AC-4B86-AABD-D680D2D8585D.jpeg

I have a Hyperion, an older thunderbeast 7, and TB ultra 5. I have also compared it to a TB ultra 9. The Hyperion is an amazing can and definitely is quieter compared to the listed cans. 3D printed cans are the future in can technology. I still love my other cans but my Hyperion is a beast. The Hyperion K is on my short list of things to buy.
    What application/platform do you see yourself using the Hyperion K on? I've got a Hyperion, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

After a lot of research I went with the Hyperion too over some of the other "precision rifle" cans. I think you'll be happy with it!

After a lot of research I went with the Hyperion too over some of the other "precision rifle" cans. I think you'll be happy with it!
    Yeah, would have seriously considered the Tbac Magnus, but price and availability swayed me towards the Hyperion.

Found a good deal at a local dealer on the CGS Hyperion suppressor. I would be using it strictly on .308 bolt action rifles off a tripod or bench, so the size doesn't bother me. I had been leaning towards the Nomad-L, but now seriously considering the Hyperion. A couple of things do concern me though. One is how durable is the 3D printed titanium construction versus traditional methods? Anyone heard of any issues? I couldn't find any with the Googles. Also, it is designed to use Sig's 25 degree taper, although CGS says it will work on a 90 degree shoulder as well. Using it on a 90 degree shoulder sounds half-assed to me. So I'd either have to get my gunsmith to thread my barrels with the correct taper, or use one of their muzzle devices. Any thoughts?

It's phenomenal.

Quietest suppressor I've personally ever heard.

They durability tested a Hyperion with 12,000 rounds of .260 and found an insignificant amount of leading edge degradation.

It should be stronger than welded.

Jay from pewscience has done numerous mag dumps with an 11.5 5.56 with the helios qd ti, up to 100 rounds in quick succession without any baffle erosion.

You're not going to have an issue.

You can definitely run it on 90⁰ but I'dsay that depends on how long the threaded portionof your muzzle is. I'd personally get the barrel tapered as it should prevent the can from backing off without needing to significantly torque it down. Quick hand tight and it shouldn't move.

I4jrVIp.jpg

8aAZWeH.jpg

RpzNjXK.jpg

So the 12k .260 was their previously welded copy. This can also didn't have the S-line coating. They have said their 3d printed is stronger and have used harsh hosts such as a 7.5" 308.

It's phenomenal.

Quietest suppressor I've personally ever heard.

They durability tested a Hyperion with 12,000 rounds of .260 and found an insignificant amount of leading edge degradation.

It should be stronger than welded.

Jay from pewscience has done numerous mag dumps with an 11.5 5.56 with the helios qd ti, up to 100 rounds in quick succession without any baffle erosion.

You're not going to have an issue.

You can definitely run it on 90⁰ but I'dsay that depends on how long the threaded portionof your muzzle is. I'd personally get the barrel tapered as it should prevent the can from backing off without needing to significantly torque it down. Quick hand tight and it shouldn't move.
    Even though I probably won't be able to take it home for 8+ months, I'm already debating whether to have my gunsmith thread my two barrels with the Sig 25 degree taper, or whether I should have him do a traditional 90 degree shoulder. Of course that would mean I have to use CGS's thread adapter. I need to ask him if he has done them before. I'm just worried about getting the taper perfectly concentric as well?

Even though I probably won't be able to take it home for 8+ months, I'm already debating whether to have my gunsmith thread my two barrels with the Sig 25 degree taper, or whether I should have him do a traditional 90 degree shoulder. Of course that would mean I have to use CGS's thread adapter. I need to ask him if he has done them before. I'm just worried about getting the taper perfectly concentric as well?

Do you trust the gunsmith?

The tapers concentricity(done correctly of course) is an added bonus as well imo. There are guys in my state and custom shops that I'd trust to have the work done.

I'd rather not use an adapter on the already long silencer. So I'd personally go tapered barrel.

Do you trust the gunsmith?

The tapers concentricity(done correctly of course) is an added bonus as well imo. There are guys in my state and custom shops that I'd trust to have the work done.

I'd rather not use an adapter on the already long silencer. So I'd personally go tapered barrel.
    I do trust him. He's done great work for me before, but I imagine doing Sig tapered barrels isn't a common request for him. I imagine for an experienced machinist it would be no big deal. But I'm not willing to gamble on my new $1100 suppressor. I'll talk to him and see what he says. I would rather not have to use the adapter if I can avoid it.

I do trust him. He's done great work for me before, but I imagine doing Sig tapered barrels isn't a common request for him. I imagine for an experienced machinist it would be no big deal. But I'm not willing to gamble on my new $1100 suppressor. I'll talk to him and see what he says. I would rather not have to use the adapter if I can avoid it.
    Totally agree. If your Smith isn't a lathe/machinist type guy: probably any proper lathe operator could successfully complete the task

And congrats on the can. So sick

What application/platform do you see yourself using the Hyperion K on? I've got a Hyperion, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    Probably my 300 WSM hunting rig and 16 in 6 ARC. I put my Hyperion on my 300 WSM and the groups opened up. The rifle shoots lights out with TB ultra 5.

Attachments

• 64CC29AB-B517-4FAD-B431-AB6C6B1A6D3E.jpeg
      64CC29AB-B517-4FAD-B431-AB6C6B1A6D3E.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 154
    • 5FDEAD6B-9864-438B-BDA5-D2E9FE9BCDCF.jpeg
      5FDEAD6B-9864-438B-BDA5-D2E9FE9BCDCF.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 141
    • B742E519-E79A-4867-AF49-58D606140353.jpeg
      B742E519-E79A-4867-AF49-58D606140353.jpeg
      978.8 KB · Views: 138
    Reactions: HotRod68Camaro
    Shopping for another can and came across this thread.

Main criteria is flow through so I don’t have to adjust the gas setting on an AR. I know HUX will work for that, but do any Hyperion K owners know if it performs the same?
    Thanks

Shopping for another can and came across this thread.

Main criteria is flow through so I don’t have to adjust the gas setting on an AR. I know HUX will work for that, but do any Hyperion K owners know if it performs the same?
    Thanks
    I don’t have one so I’ll let someone else give you the definitive answer, but in looking at it, it appears to be a low backpressure can with the vented endcap. It’s not marketed as a flow-through can, from what I’ve seen, so I would not expect it to be as low backpressure as the Hux, RC3, Ventum, etc.