• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Hearing Safe” Cans for 6.5 CM bolt rifle?

All depends on what your objectives are.

If your objectives are to have the most sound suppression while saving some $, the Dilinger Enticer-Ti is a very attractive option.

If you have different objectives, then there may be better options.
What I’m saying is, you said “Just as good as”. If that’s the case, then why pay more for the “same thing”?

If one is better and justified a higher price, then they are not the same. There is a reason why one is higher priced, correct?

What I’m saying is, you said “Just as good as”. If that’s the case, then why pay more for the “same thing”?

If one is better and justified a higher price, then they are not the same. There is a reason why one is higher priced, correct?

The answer to that is it "depends".

For the OP's goals, I'm not convinced the Hydrogen or Nomad does anything that the Enticer-Ti doesn't. They certainly don't meter better at the shooters ear.

The answer to that is it "depends".

For the OP's goals, I'm not convinced the Hydrogen or Nomad does anything that the Enticer-Ti doesn't. They certainly don't meter better at the shooters ear.
True, and I’ve stated that multiple times, so we’re in agreement. But they do meter noticeably better at the muzzle. But as far as the shooter is concerned, they’ll never notice that…Just things down range.

Like how we went full-circle? 😏

Choosing a suppressor is like asking "what truck should I buy"? Should I buy a F150 standard cab or buy once cry once and buy a GMC Denali 3500? Might as well add an Area 419 Maverick to the list. btw, it's performs like crap esp for the money and is the 2nd loudest suppressor I've ever witnessed. #1 is GA Precision's Jager but she's the lightest in the industry.

Reactions: FuhQ
Choosing a suppressor is like asking "what truck should I buy"? Should I buy a F150 standard cab or buy once cry once and buy a GMC Denali 3500? Might as well add an Area 419 Maverick to the list. btw, it's performs like crap esp for the money and is the 2nd loudest suppressor I've ever witnessed. #1 is GA Precision's Jager but she's the lightest in the industry.

Suppressors are always a compromise.

There is no one "best" suppressor, but there are better suppressors than others for any given application.

Things people need to think about when purchasing a suppressor:

- Cartridge use
- Is the suppressor going to be used on gas guns, bolt guns, both?
- Mounting system criteria
- Weight
- Suppression
- Length
- Cost
- Backpressure
- Firing schedule
- etc.

Reactions: FuhQ
Suppressors are always a compromise.

There is no one "best" suppressor, but there are better suppressors than others for any given application.

Things people need to think about when purchasing a suppressor:

- Cartridge use
- Is the suppressor going to be used on gas guns, bolt guns, both?
- Mounting system criteria
- Weight
- Suppression
- Length
- Cost
- Backpressure
- Firing schedule
- etc.
Barrel length is another key issue

Reactions: kthomas
Magnus if you have the money to burn. If not, wait until you do and buy a Magnus.

IMG_1075.jpeg

This. I’d prioritize on longer barrel lengths over 9”+ cans like the Magnus, Ultra 9, 338SR, Hydrogen L, etc.
I still remember the days before the minimum barrel lengths for cans were known (Pepperidge Farms also remembers).

Thunderbeast Arms suppressors are top notch! I run my old 30-P1 on my .308 and two .300WM. One .300WM I was pushing about 210grn Berger VLD's at 2975fps chrono'd on a CED M2 from a 22" barrel. That can has endured a LOT of abuse and is going strong!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskydriver
Been talking to a guy at the gun shop. He was educating me on the Diligent (since I just heard about it from that shop a few days ago). Says he is selling alot of them. People going in and buying over Nomad-L for about $300-400 less. A year or two from now, we may not be able to buy suppressors (I'm not in the know, but could happen). Do I want to spend $600 + $200 on a new company without a reputation? I am NEVER a new adopter of anything. Let someone else be the Beta tester. With the initial cost and wait period, I would rather spend it on a company that has a proven track record. I'm sticking with my initial idea of getting a Nomad-L or LT.

Just some food for thought....if the Nomad-L (or another can) is about $400 more than the cheapest can you can get from Diligent and there is currently a 9 month wait to get the stamp, that is about $1.5 a day for 9 months. Skip the latte and get the can from an established company of your choosing. My logic.

Good luck with your decision.

Been talking to a guy at the gun shop. He was educating me on the Diligent (since I just heard about it from that shop a few days ago). Says he is selling alot of them. People going in and buying over Nomad-L for about $300-400 less. A year or two from now, we may not be able to buy suppressors (I'm not in the know, but could happen). Do I want to spend $600 + $200 on a new company without a reputation? I am NEVER a new adopter of anything. Let someone else be the Beta tester. With the initial cost and wait period, I would rather spend it on a company that has a proven track record. I'm sticking with my initial idea of getting a Nomad-L or LT.

Just some food for thought....if the Nomad-L (or another can) is about $400 more than the cheapest can you can get from Diligent and there is currently a 9 month wait to get the stamp, that is about $1.5 a day for 9 months. Skip the latte and get the can from an established company of your choosing. My logic.

Good luck with your decision.
You will not regret the Nomad-LT. It is a phenomenal can, I love mine. I bought it the day they dropped on December 4, 2020. Got it mid-2021, and put thousands of rounds through it since, on just about everything you can imagine, bolt & semi. It's performed flawlessly. But I would strongly recommend getting an Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA mount for it, instead of using the Dead Air direct-thread mount that comes with it. Just my $0.02 having used both.

You will not regret the Nomad-LT. It is a phenomenal can, I love mine. I bought it the day they dropped on December 4, 2020. Got it mid-2021, and put thousands of rounds through it since, on just about everything you can imagine, bolt & semi. It's performed flawlessly. But I would strongly recommend getting an Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA mount for it, instead of using the Dead Air direct-thread mount that comes with it. Just my $0.02 having used both.

What's wrong with the Xeno or other DA mounts? I already have a Xeno.

What's wrong with the Xeno or other DA mounts? I already have a Xeno.
Nothing is wrong with Xeno, but they don't come with Xeno from the factory. If you run Xeno, go Xeno. But if you run direct-thread, the OCL ZR0-DTA is the way to go on any HUB can.

Anyone want to take a crack at defining "hearing safe" before we start dropping recommendations of our favorite suppressors, or are we just going to do the same mental masturbatory exercise? This is a rhetorical question because we already know the answer.

If one wants to use the AHAAH standard (which assumes that one is tolerant of a 25db "temporary threshold shift") a single "unwarned" shot from an unsuppressed M16 every 24 hours is acceptable, as are 4 shots in the "warned" condition ("unwarned" and "warned" in this case literally refer to whether or not you are expecting the gunshot based upon the inner-ear response to anticipation of loud noise). Compared to this, literally any suppressor is going to be an improvement, and so small daily doses (typical of hunter or even a reasonably efficient scope zeroing effort) of suppressed small-arms fire will be "hearing safe" by this definition. Is this the right definition? Depends upon who you ask and the context of the inquiry.

Anyone want to take a crack at defining "hearing safe" before we start dropping recommendations of our favorite suppressors, or are we just going to do the same mental masturbatory exercise? This is a rhetorical question because we already know the answer.

If one wants to use the AHAAH standard (which assumes that one is tolerant of a 25db "temporary threshold shift") a single "unwarned" shot from an unsuppressed M16 every 24 hours is acceptable, as are 4 shots in the "warned" condition ("unwarned" and "warned" in this case literally refer to whether or not you are expecting the gunshot based upon the inner-ear response to anticipation of loud noise). Compared to this, literally any suppressor is going to be an improvement, and so small daily doses (typical of hunter or even a reasonably efficient scope zeroing effort) of suppressed small-arms fire will be "hearing safe" by this definition. Is this the right definition? Depends upon who you ask and the context of the inquiry.

The more you read into it, the harder it is to define.

Ahaah was designed around 500 aru per day, now they say 200 aru per day.

Other research shows that hearing damage can show up as difficulties differentiating between sounds (like speech over background noise) long before you get a permanent dB shift, but there's no way to quantify it (from the papers I've read) so there's no metric for it.

Interesting stuff.....

Reactions: E. Bryant
My Nomad-L is crazy quiet on a 20" 6.5C gas gun. The LT wasn't out when I bought it, but the LT is the way on a bolt gun.

My Nomad-L is crazy quiet on a 20" 6.5C gas gun. The LT wasn't out when I bought it, but the LT is the way on a bolt gun.
Why LT over L on bolt gun? Slower rate of fire, heat not that big of an issue with bolt guns? about 6 oz of savings there, but what do you give up in durability? As I see it, we may not be able to buy these things in the future, so might be worth getting a more tough unit?

I don't own one yet, but that is my logic. The Sandman is bullet proof, but that is also far older tech than the Nomad series.

Why LT over L on bolt gun? Slower rate of fire, heat not that big of an issue with bolt guns? about 6 oz of savings there, but what do you give up in durability? As I see it, we may not be able to buy these things in the future, so might be worth getting a more tough unit?

I don't own one yet, but that is my logic. The Sandman is bullet proof, but that is also far older tech than the Nomad series.
Yes. With the slower rate of fire on the bolt gun, it is harder to get over the 800 degrees F can temp most manufactures recommend staying under on Ti cans. The weight savings on the Ti can are substantial. If you are running a semi-auto pig killin gun, then I would go with the L.

Its not that Ti isnt durable, it is, just not as durable as steel. The weight savings usually minimizes impact shifts as well, which is nice on precision guns.

It would be extraordinarily difficult to convince me of a thermal concern with a titanium can on a bolt gun. It's a much simpler matter of deciding if the increased cost is justified by the weight savings. Not a big deal on the bench, somewhat more important in the field, but if I'm worried about ounces of weight then I'm probably not buying a long-boi suppressor.

Reactions: jb0311
The more you read into it, the harder it is to define.

Ahaah was designed around 500 aru per day, now they say 200 aru per day.

Other research shows that hearing damage can show up as difficulties differentiating between sounds (like speech over background noise) long before you get a permanent dB shift, but there's no way to quantify it (from the papers I've read) so there's no metric for it.

Interesting stuff.....

Solid points throughout the post (y)

500 ARU is indeed likely too much for those exposed occupationally, but it's probably not a big deal for the average Fudd over a couple weekends per year.

My hearing is important enough to at least stuff in some foamees if there's any opportunity, but I'm also not feeling like a few shots through a typical bolt gun and modern suppressor would be my singular cause for concern with regards to future hearing damage.

Solid points throughout the post (y)

500 ARU is indeed likely too much for those exposed occupationally, but it's probably not a big deal for the average Fudd over a couple weekends per year.

My hearing is important enough to at least stuff in some foamees if there's any opportunity, but I'm also not feeling like a few shots through a typical bolt gun and modern suppressor would be my singular cause for concern with regards to future hearing damage.
Get your pulse yet?

Fat cans occlude vision on low mounted hunting optics. This keeps me from running my nomad L on my Tikka / sportsmatch / swfa rigs.

For my money it's easy-

tbac ultras on hunting / mixed use rifles

Hux/oss for gas guns

Maybe a Magnus for a bench pig

No reason not to wear ear pro at a range. Even a tbac ultra 5 is fine for killing a deer here and there.

Reactions: D_TROS
I have an Omega 300 on my 18" 6.5C. I hunt a ranch in the Bitterroot valley and the land and terrain are open land. I don't need hearing protection when I hunt there. If I am hunting up in the trees and brush, I will wear a set of electronic cans so I don't get all of the sound bouncing back at me and I am able to listen to what's going on around me.

I use the same omega on my 6.5G and even in the trees the amount of sound bouncing back is minimal so I don't use any hearing protection.

Get your pulse yet?

I went the DIY route, saved a few bucks, and got myself a setup that dumps hi-fidelity data into MATLAB for post-processing. It's just awaiting the intersection of better weather and some free time to get the testing program fully underway. The second half of that might be a couple months out as I look at professional and parenting obligations.

I went the DIY route, saved a few bucks, and got myself a setup that dumps hi-fidelity data into MATLAB for post-processing. It's just awaiting the intersection of better weather and some free time to get the testing program fully underway. The second half of that might be a couple months out as I look at professional and parenting obligations.

Sounds like a plan. Apparently, there's a version of ahaah that runs natively in Matlab, if you find it, let me know.

I've got the Hyperion K, the shorty. It is a little sharp on the hearing on my 20" 6.5cm but for the size and weight it performs well. The full size Hyperion should be right in line with what OCL and the DA Nomad LT/TI are doing. I hear a Nomad TI in person on a regular basis and it is always awesome how quiet it is on a 20" 308

I've got the Hyperion K, the shorty. It is a little sharp on the hearing on my 20" 6.5cm but for the size and weight it performs well. The full size Hyperion should be right in line with what OCL and the DA Nomad LT/TI are doing. I hear a Nomad TI in person on a regular basis and it is always awesome how quiet it is on a 20" 308
Ever shoot an EA Lux? I'm interested in how it would compare to a Nomad Ti.

Reactions: sboone
Ever shoot an EA Lux? I'm interested in how it would compare to a Nomad Ti.
Never heard of them, and just learned of Ecco machine yesterday. I wasn't gonna buy another suppressor but I'm getting the twitch that I'm about to be financially irresponsible.