• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Hearing Safe” Cans for 6.5 CM bolt rifle?

Scribe65c

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2023
USA
Hi all,

New to this site. I’m looking for my first suppressor for a 6.5 CM bolt gun. I’d like to get a list of the suppressors you folks have used successfully that “sound” like they’re hearing safe. I’m going for a 7.62 bore so I can move it around a little bit. No mag dumping or shooting drill type stuff for this unit.

I’m looking for something around 135 dB or less at the ear. I’ve checked Pew Science ratings, for what they’re worth, and have narrowed my field down to:

Nomad LT
Nomad Ti
Energetic Arms Lux
CGS Hyperion
Other?

Do any other cans fall into the “hearing safe” range? I’m putting that in quotes because I know that sound science isn’t really an established standard in the field.

I’m trying to optimize lowest price, hearing safe (very good to excellent sound suppression, and titanium. However, I’d go steel baffle for the money saved if hearing safe (Nomad 30 or Nomad L, for example).

Thanks for any info and I hope I haven’t repeated another thread.

Best

Scribe65c

Abel co Theorem-L with 6.5 end cap is hearing safe… for a shot or two. I’ll post db ratings soon.
6B1C5D08-4483-47DD-A61D-A47F12215B90.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scribe65c
Only hearing safe is subsonic ammo only and subsonic 6.5 is nothing I want. A good can will make it just sound like the crack of a supersonic 22lr

There is no suppressor that will be "hearing safe" without hearing protection for any real shooting duration using supersonic 6.5 Creedmoor.
I was hoping that the quotes would relieve any liability issues. I totally get where you’re coming from.

Do you wear Ear Pro with it or not?

Thanks!
Ear pro 99% of the time. If it were a hunting rifle would be OK on shot or two without based on the few shots I've taken on quiet range without earpro. This gun with a brake was borderline double up on rear pro loud.

I was hoping that the quotes would relieve any liability issues. I totally get where you’re coming from.

Magnus and .338 Ultra are your best bets if sound suppression is the ultimate goal above all else. Your list has great options, and the Abel Theorem in the long configuration would be great as well.

None of them I would shoot without hearing protection.

We don't quote what is "hearing safe" due to liability, but the Magnus is the quietest .30 cal can on the market as far I know. The 338 Ultra is a litel bit quieter.

Magnus compared to some other large OD .30 cal cans

dB data is printed up in the video description

These are great videos and it looks close enough to MIL-SPEC-1474 setup for me.

Haven’t “heard” of this company yet. Thanks!

High quality cans. I have their Biscuit, it's a very well made suppressor. Even my class 3 dealer was very impressed with the quality.

Haven't played with their titanium suppressors, but I would imagine they are equally as impressive in quality and function, and even better suppression.

I have the Energetic Arms Vox and it seems pretty quiet to me and others who have been with me. A few shots hunting wouldn't be a big deal IMO.

I am usually at a range so I always wear ear protection, because if you don't some SOB with a 50 will light it up two benches down.

Last edited:
I still wear ear pro at the range because there’s no reason not to, but my Nomad-L sounds great on my 6.5 and 6 cm. And it’s even quieter with the e-brake. Could probably improve it more with the 6.5 end cap but I just use the .30 end cap for everything.

Thanks Pat! What barrel lengths do you put it on and do you see much POI shift?

Last edited:
Hi all,

New to this site. I’m looking for my first suppressor for a 6.5 CM bolt gun. I’d like to get a list of the suppressors you folks have used successfully that “sound” like they’re hearing safe. I’m going for a 7.62 bore so I can move it around a little bit. No mag dumping or shooting drill type stuff for this unit.

I’m looking for something around 135 dB or less at the ear. I’ve checked Pew Science ratings, for what they’re worth, and have narrowed my field down to:

Nomad LT
Nomad Ti
Energetic Arms Lux
CGS Hyperion
Other?

Do any other cans fall into the “hearing safe” range? I’m putting that in quotes because I know that sound science isn’t really an established standard in the field.

I’m trying to optimize lowest price, hearing safe (very good to excellent sound suppression, and titanium. However, I’d go steel baffle for the money saved if hearing safe (Nomad 30 or Nomad L, for example).

Thanks for any info and I hope I haven’t repeated another thread.

Best

Scribe65c
Don't forget to add the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S and Hydrogen-L 6.5mm to your list.

I have found on some super rounds the cans make it ok to wear just ear plugs / foamies.

I've tried several cans with super and none should be shot without earpro.

That’s the answer. Learn it now or learn it later when your ears are ringing and you are saying “what?” a lot. Wears ears even with a can.
Bears repeating. After getting tinnitus four years ago, ironically not from shooting, I spent a miserable couple of years afterwards learning all I could about hearing damage. Bottom line is that firearms are damaging to your hearing no matter what you try and do to mitigate it. For me, the benefit of a suppressor is that I can use the thinner, lighter earmuffs. Without a suppressor I always double up on ear pro, no exception.

any of the cans on your list will allow you to swap down to in-hear hearing protection which will generally be much more comfortable for shooting, but as stated you should always use something because of the supersonic bullet crack.

My dead air primal is still enough with a .30cal endcap and e-brake to cut the noise to the point I can just use a set of surefire in-ears to deaden the supersonic report.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Wondering if anyone has feedback from first hand use on this? The price is attractive along with the sound suppression.

I sell a bunch of brands, but diligent is at/near the top of the heap for sound, they're very light(the Ti versions), and cheaper than their competition by a margin. Oddly stout for the weight as well(rated to 300RUM).

Wondering if anyone has feedback from first hand use on this? The price is attractive along with the sound suppression.
At the time of testing, the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L held the #2 spot on PEW Science, just barely getting beaten by the Dead Air Nomad-L/LT. Now it’s number 3, because the TBAC Magnus is the quietest .30 cal can on the market, and the Nomad-L/LT moved down into 2nd place.

I have all 3 of the top cans. Haven’t shot the Magnus yet, but I wouldn’t have bought one if I ever had any doubts. But after thousands of rounds through each, I can tell you that the Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L are ridiculously quiet, and worth every penny, and if you had the budget, the Magnus would be the way to go, for ultimate suppression.

All 3 are rated for .300 RUM/.300 Norma mags.

IMG_7492.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS and D_TROS
My tbac ultra 9 is incredibly quiet on my 6.5cm
The tbac magnus probably even quieter

Thunderbeast FTW.

I use a ultra 5 while hunting. obviously one shot and I dont wear/forget ear pro. def makes it 1000% better than a brake and forgetting ear pro in the moment.

for out right sound suppression, ive used both the magnus and 338 ultra and its not even really close when you have em side by side with other brands.

GL!

so all in all, balancing cost as a factor with top tier suppressors, it seems the Diligent Defense Enticer wins. Right?

I will start this out by saying that I'm not disagreeing with any previous post on this thread, but.... I have a TBAC Ultra 9 .30 cal suppressor that I use on a .308 gas piston gun and a 6.5 bolt gun. I usually shoot during the middle of the week, and often times I'm all alone up there. If I'm alone I generally don't wear ear pro. Super quiet in my book. Am I doing damage to my ears? Maybe, but I had a .22 or a .410 in my hand everyday as a kid. My uncle worked at Federal Cartridge and kept me supplied with all the ammo I could shoot. Hunted deer every year until maybe ten years ago. Spent four years in the Air Force working on F-4's and T-38's. Truck driver most of the rest of my life. Had motorcycles all my life, and until lately never a muffled one. Never even wore ear pro for pistol shooting outdoors for years; hell, nobody I knew did. Hillbillys? Yup. Never wore any ear pro for any of this stuff except in the service where we had to. I'm 64. I do have tinnitus; it started while I was in the service, but while being tested the audiologist told me I have no hearing loss. I can hear better than most. Goody for me, right?
My point? My Ultra 9 is definitely hearing safe.....FOR ME.
Don't try this at home.

so all in all, balancing cost as a factor with top tier suppressors, it seems the Diligent Defense Enticer wins. Right?

tough question obviously...

IMO new companies need time to prove their worth.

Ill just say this. my 10 yr old son got his first top 10 overall at a national level 2 day match this weekend using a Thunderbeast 30-P1 that is over 12 yrs old and 20,000 rounds. with factory 6.5cm ammo.
there are several budget suppressor companies not even in business anymore from 10 yrs ago.

B641E91C-EA55-403C-9A26-D6E64FDC0649.jpeg

this is 100% up to you and intended use. If just blasting and showing off, prob go the cheaper route. but if competing or hunting where every first shot counts...im going with the best. buy once cry once.

GL!
DT

At the time of testing, the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L held the #2 spot on PEW Science, just barely getting beaten by the Dead Air Nomad-L/LT. Now it’s number 3, because the TBAC Magnus is the quietest .30 cal can on the market, and the Nomad-L/LT moved down into 2nd place.

I have all 3 of the top cans. Haven’t shot the Magnus yet, but I wouldn’t have bought one if I ever had any doubts. But after thousands of rounds through each, I can tell you that the Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L are ridiculously quiet, and worth every penny, and if you had the budget, the Magnus would be the way to go, for ultimate suppression.

All 3 are rated for .300 RUM/.300 Norma mags.

View attachment 8114047
According to the chart you posted, the Diligent is better than both the Nomad and Hydrogen cans for suppression at the muzzle and the ear.

If sound suppression was the main goal, dollar for dollar it's a better value then either the Nomad or the Hydrogen.

The Ti Enticer is $175 cheaper than the Hydrogen and almost $400 cheaper than the Nomad-L (or $200 cheaper than sale prices at say Capital Armory).

According to the chart you posted, the Diligent is better than both the Nomad and Hydrogen cans for suppression at the muzzle and the ear.

If sound suppression was the main goal, dollar for dollar it's a better value then either the Nomad or the Hydrogen.
It’s so close it wouldn’t even be noticeable to the shooter. And it also lacks at the muzzle report by a noticeable margin. I’m not saying it’s not a good can, just saying they all have pros and cons, and if you balance the numbers, it falls behind.

It can’t be by much…

I just updated my post with prices.

Enticer Ti is $175 cheaper than the Hydrogen-S and almost $400 cheaper than the Nomad-L.

At $675 the Dilinger Enticer-Ti is a hell of a deal with its performance.

I just updated my post with prices.

Enticer Ti is $175 cheaper than the Hydrogen-S and almost $400 cheaper than the Nomad-L.
Price is irrelevant to performance numbers, unless you have a very constrained budget. That said, I don’t think it’s hard to come up with an extra $175 or $200-400 simply by adjusting your monthly expenditures. And if you ARE that hard-up for cash, you probably shouldn’t be blowing it on NFA items. But it’s your money, not mine, so not my place to judge.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Price is irrelevant to performance numbers, unless you have a very constrained budget. That said, I don’t think it’s hard to come up with an extra $175 or $200-400 simply by adjusting your monthly expenditures.
Price is VERY relevant to us middle class folks. You must be high upper class.....

Reactions: Supersubes
Price is irrelevant to performance numbers, unless you have a very constrained budget.

Apparently it is to the OP, since he's been asking about it.

And I would prefer a suppressor to be quieter at the shooters ear then the muzzle. When I'm shooting my rifles, I'm not hanging out by the muzzle.

Out of those 3 suppressors (Enticer Ti, Hydogen, Nomad-L), the Enticer is the most intriguing option, IMO. Given the criteria given by the OP, I would pick the Enticer over the other two.

But yes, there's always trade-offs. And if sound suppression was the ultimate goal with price being no objective, then you would skip past all of these cans and get a Magnus or .338 Ultra.

Nope, far from it. But if you can wait a few weeks, or a month and get what you want, why not save up? Why settle for mediocrity?

If you can get the same or better performance and save $175-400, then why not?

I personally don't see the point in spending more money for equal to lesser performance.

Reactions: AznTactical
Out of those 3 suppressors (Enticer Ti, Hydogen, Nomad-L), the Enticer is the most intriguing option, IMO. Given the criteria given by the OP, I would pick the Enticer over the other two.
We all know you have a bias against DA and OCL. That’s truly why you would pick the Enticer. Just be honest about it. They’re so close in ear numbers it won’t matter which one he picks.

We all know you have a bias against DA and OCL. That’s truly why you would pick the Enticer. Just be honest about it. They’re so close in ear numbers it won’t matter which one he picks.

No bias against DA or OCL. Both make/design great cans, I've considered purchasing a can from both companies in the past, and may do so in the future. I also don't own any Dilinger cans.

I'm just going off of what the OP has posted for his criteria and interests, and using the information in the graph you posted to help the OP make his decision. Based off of his metrics, his interest in value, and the performance posted in that pewscience graph, the Dilinger Enticer-Ti makes more sense than the Hydrogen or the Nomad.

I personally don't see the point in spending more money for equal to lesser performance.
Then why buy an Ultra 9 over an Enticer-LTi?

Not hating on TBAC, I have 2 of their cans, I’m just making a point about the price difference.

Then why buy an Ultra 9 over an Enticer-LTi?

Not hating on TBAC, I have 2 of their cans, I’m just making a point about the price difference.

All depends on what your objectives are.

If your objectives are to have the most sound suppression while saving some $, the Dilinger Enticer-Ti is a very attractive option.

If you have different objectives, then there may be better options.