• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics Extended through Lunchtime 2/18/20 ,- Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter reduced to only $249.99

Doug took great care of me on Thursday. Great upgrade for my old 4500NV.

Last edited:
Just received my Kestrel Sportsman . You must download the Kestrel link free app on your phone. Then open the app , find device, (Kestrel) sync your phone to the Kestrel and it should immediately prompt a firmware update. Make sure you have a new battery in the Kestrel, and your phone is fully charged . It takes up to 30 min. Then open the Kestrel link ballistics and it will again prompt you to the V1.37 firmware update . Mine took almost an hour total and 2 batteries.

Reactions: oneforall
Just received my Kestrel Sportsman . You must download the Kestrel link free app on your phone. Then open the app , find device, (Kestrel) sync your phone to the Kestrel and it should immediately prompt a firmware update. Make sure you have a new battery in the Kestrel, and your phone is fully charged . It takes up to 30 min. Then open the Kestrel link ballistics and it will again prompt you to the V1.37 firmware update . Mine took almost an hour total and 2 batteries.
I did all that and it never connects.

After firmware update make sure you close the app fully not just leave it. Then upon restarting the app it should find the kestrel with a new id .It might even show 2 different kestrel ids. Try both if it does . This is what mine did with the app on ios.

Reactions: oneforall
After firmware update make sure you close the app fully not just leave it. Then upon restarting the app it should find the kestrel with a new id .It might even show 2 different kestrel ids. Try both if it does . This is what mine did with the app on ios.
This is what mine did, after I first did a factory reset, and also updated the IOS app to the latest version. It's working great now.

Playing around with it for a couple days, it makes me wonder how I ever survived without a kestrel. :) The WeatherFlow+iPhone combo pales in comparison.

Thanks for the great deal @gr8fuldoug !

Reactions: Cbrjohnny1
Question if anyone can help. Mine is able to connect via bluetooth, however, nothing opens on the Kestrel link Ballistics app (iOS) prompting me to update firmware. I already did the factory reset. Any ideas? Thanks

Yes, thanks, I did the factory reset. On the Kestrel itself it shows the status as 'connected" as well as it showing up on the app.
Mine did that too. Kestrel told me to put my phone on airplane mode and it will automatically try and update the firmware. Do it through the app. It didnt work for me but may work for you.

Mine did that too. Kestrel told me to put my phone on airplane mode and it will automatically try and update the firmware. Do it through the app. It didnt work for me but may work for you.
OK, thank you. I will give it a try.

Reactions: Cbrjohnny1
I really appreciate the effort trying to help me. I was able to again get it to connect, this time in airplane mode, but it didn't make a difference- no prompt to update firmware. In the Kestrel Link ballistics app on my iPhone, I also looked for a way to update it manually by selecting that option, but can't find the option to do that.

I really appreciate the effort trying to help me. I was able to again get it to connect, this time in airplane mode, but it didn't make a difference- no prompt to update firmware. In the Kestrel Link ballistics app on my iPhone, I also looked for a way to update it manually by selecting that option, but can't find the option to do that.
Yeah there is no option on the app it just comes up blank. Kestrel said they are having a lot of issues with the sportsman. They are suppose to call me back when they get it figured out.

Yeah there is no option on the app it just comes up blank. Kestrel said they are having a lot of issues with the sportsman. They are suppose to call me back when they get it figured out.
OK, thanks again for the effort. This is my first Kestrel, kinda disappointing.

OK, thanks again for the effort. This is my first Kestrel, kinda disappointing.
Yeah I tried everything too. Mine will say connected but app screen is blank. No prompts to update firmware. This is annoying.

Mine won’t connect to my iPhone but will to my wife’s Android Galaxy. Trying to update through hers now.

On my iPhone it doesn’t show up in the system Bluetooth menu.
What did work was going into phone settings. Then into the kestrel settings and turning Bluetooth on.

It was immediately recognized. Connected and now updating.

OK, Kestrel got back to me today and told me to update it thru the Kestrel Link app that is NOT the Kestrel Link Ballistics app. This worked, it says version 1.36. I'm really impressed with their responsiveness especially on a weekend. Thank you!

OK, Kestrel got back to me today and told me to update it thru the Kestrel Link app that is NOT the Kestrel Link Ballistics app. This worked, it says version 1.36. I'm really impressed with their responsiveness especially on a weekend. Thank you!
Nice to hear! Glad they fixed you up

I was having issues updating mine with Kestrel Link Ballistics as well. Switched to Kestrel Link and it worked first try. It’s now ver. 1.36. Is that the current version or is there a 1.37?

Use lithium batteries in the Kestrel, they last way longer than regular AA....I did the update on mine and it took maybe 10 minutes.

Got mine out of the box today and setup. My kestrel link ballistic app pushed 2 updates right away and it’s running 1.39 now. Thanks again for a great deal Doug.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
First thanks to @gr8fuldoug I picked one of these up last Thursday night during the flash sale. Ordered it Thursday after hours and have it in OK at Noon on Monday. That is amazing service!

As for updating mine it had 1.01 on it from the package. I tired the Kestrel Andoird Ballistic app it would pair and show connected on the Kestrel but never update. I did like some other people suggested downloaded the Kestrel Link app, the non ballistic version. It found it immediately and said it needed firmware and started the process. Update took about an hour. The Balistic version still trys to connenct but never shows the device like the non ballistic.

On a side note any of you all with these. IS there a clear protective piece over the screen? I noticed a couple weird circles and it looks like it may have a screen protector on it but didn't want to jack screen up if it doesn't trying to remove it.

1583780218328.png

@x_789 try and delete and reload the ballistic link app. And yes there is a plastic film cover on the screen

Reactions: x_789
@x_789 try and delete and reload the ballistic link app. And yes there is a plastic film cover on the screen
Thanks! I removed the screen cover. I also did an uninstall and reinstalled. It still did same thing sees the device but wont fully connect. I went into apps deleted the the app data and cache. Reopened app, it saw device and added it that time. Now its pushing another firmware update this time from Kestrel Ballistics app.

Thanks! I removed the screen cover. I also did an uninstall and reinstalled. It still did same thing sees the device but wont fully connect. I went into apps deleted the the app data and cache. Reopened app, it saw device and added it that time. Now its pushing another firmware update this time from Kestrel Ballistics app.
Yah 1.39 is the newest up date

Mine has a weird “bubble “ on the bottom of the screen too, but doesn’t act like a removable film.... I’m scared to get too crazy with it....

Mine has a weird “bubble “ on the bottom of the screen too, but doesn’t act like a removable film.... I’m scared to get too crazy with it....
I had to work with my finger nail to get a corner up is why I asked. It did come off and now screen is clear with no issues. Its pretty heavy plastic almost like a cheap phone screen protector vs the thin stretchy stuff that is more like plastic wrap.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I'm still unable to get past 1.36. That being said, the responses from Kestrel have been prompt and they seem to be working on it. I do wish I had known that it was going to be this much of an issue, I would never have bought this on sale, and would have just gotten the 5700 Elite. I'm gonna give it awhile longer (it'll be a month soon) and if they can't fix it, I'll likely donate it to someone who could use it and I'll go in a different direction.

I'm still unable to get past 1.36. That being said, the responses from Kestrel have been prompt and they seem to be working on it. I do wish I had known that it was going to be this much of an issue, I would never have bought this on sale, and would have just gotten the 5700 Elite. I'm gonna give it awhile longer (it'll be a month soon) and if they can't fix it, I'll likely donate it to someone who could use it and I'll go in a different direction.
I guess also I should talk to Doug and see if I could get some sort of partial credit and send it back. It literally hasn't left the inside of my house since arriving.

I had to work with my finger nail to get a corner up is why I asked. It did come off and now screen is clear with no issues. Its pretty heavy plastic almost like a cheap phone screen protector vs the thin stretchy stuff that is more like plastic wrap.
Got mine off! Sure was heavy-duty; on hindsight maybe I should’ve left it on for a couple years.?

I have had zero issues updating through the ballistics app on ios 13. Borrow an iphone , download the ballistics app, and do it.

Borrow? Maybe that was directed to someone else. I have a 3 month old iPhone.

I bet if you do a factory reset on the Kestrel, delete and reload your Kestrel apps on the phone, reboot the phone, try both Kestrel apps, etc. you can get it done. I believe in you.

Also, have you tried to just run it on 1.36 or whatever you’ve got, load some guns on the app and transfer them, etc,, and maybe the combo will notice the update availability as you go? Bet it will.

Of course call me, however, I have a quick question. Have you spoken with Gary at Kestrel? He's the point guy there. We have literally sold hundreds of these and we are working on getting a few hundred more as guys keep calling for the deal.

i got mine in today and got it updated to 1.39 but i only have 3 gun profiles. thought this was supposed to increase it to 10?

i got mine in today and got it updated to 1.39 but i only have 3 gun profiles. thought this was supposed to increase it to 10?
All you did was update the firmware. Upgrading to the Elite software is $190 plus $30 for the dongle. However, you can have as many gun profiles on your Kestrel Ballistic App on your phone and just shuffle whatever guns you brought to the range with you onto the Kestrel in aboutt 60 seconds.

Reactions: dave300
Mine still won't update past 1.36. I have been in contact with Kestrel thru the rep who is here on the snipershide account as well as one of the tech guys from Kestrel. They said they are working on it. That was weeks ago, I haven't heard anything since. I think I'm going to just contact Doug @gr8fuldoug and see if there's any way I can just send it back as it has never even been outside my house.