• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Extractor swap?

species0113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
Glen Rock, Pa., USA
I'm sending my Rem SPS .308 bolt away to have a new knob installed. I have an older 700 Remmy in .220 swift and was wondering if I can swap extractors and use the .220 bolt in the .308 with out reheadspacing? I do not have go/no go gauges. Thanx, Berg

Re: Extractor swap?

Why do you want to swap extractors?

The bolts might swap but maybe not. You need headspace gages.

Unless you have an older Remington with a riveted extractor they are the same, and even if one is a riveted extractor they work the same for your two calibers.

There should be no need to swap them out, and you shouldn't remove the extractor unless you have a new one to put it in its place. They're not meant to be taken out and put back in. You take it out you throw it away and put in a new one.

Are you talking about the ejector?

Correct me if I'm wrong but different calibers use different size extractors. ( extractor being located in the end of the bolt used for extracting ) I want to use my .220 swift bolt in my .308 while my .308 bolt is being worked on. The extractor in the end of my .220 bolt has a larger lip then the extractor in my .308 bolt. Thus the question evolves. Is it ok to use my .308 extractor in my .220 bolt until my .308 bolt is finished? Both bolts being the non riveted type. I have heard somewhere that when ever a bolt is replaced it needs to be headspaced to the new barrel or vice versa. Apparently the tolerances are not very tight from bolt to bolt. Just trying to prevent a kaboom from excessive pressure do to wrong head spacing.

You are partially correct. Small calibers like .223 use a smaller extractor but that's because it's a smaller case.

Magnum cartridges use a larger extractor and are riveted to the bolt nose.

On older Remington’s all the extractors were riveted no matter what there size.

The .220 Swift and the .308 both have a .473 +- cartridge base and they use the same short action, same bolt, and have the same bolt nose/face. The extractors are the same. It could be that the claw on one or the other is a little bigger but that has nothing to do with it other then it has a bigger claw probably from a different supplier or a design change along the way.

It will work with either .220 Swift or .308. Your problem is going to be will the bolt head space and that has nothing to do with the extractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Species</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I should not use the .220 bolt unless I have the headspace checked? </div></div>

I wouldn't, if you are trying to avoid any issues that would be the thing to do.

Another thing to consider Remington’s are known for long headspace to begin with putting in a bolt from another rifle may just compound the issue.

ok, thanx. I guess I'll be shooting something else this weekend.
frown.gif