• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

face to face gun transfer from different states???

dagwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach,SC
I plan on buying a rifle from another member soon. We would perfer to to do FTF transfer, but I live in South Carolina and the other member lives in Georgia. I have spoken to 3 different FFL's and got 3 different answers. The current answer is for the Georgia member to bring the rifle to SC and do FTF with no FFL. I have read some regs about this, but have found no diffinite answers. HELP!!!!!!!
I have no problems with FFL to FFL, FTF is just easier. Any advice about legalities would be great.

Steve

Re: face to face gun transfer from different states???

DO NOT DO THAT! You can only do a FTF if you both live in the same state. At best you can meet at an FFL, have that FFL enter the rifle in his books and then transfer to you.

Have fun. Ship the rifle to an FFL and make it easier on all concerned.

Thanks, I don't understand why 3 FFL's who have to use the same rules and get 3 different answers,WTF!!!!

Steve
I would not do that. Whether you come to SC, or your seller go to GA, both of you are violating federal law for interstate selling firearms. The penalty is NOT light. The only option for that to happen is for you to have an FFL, or a Curio & Relic license to purchase directly from the seller. BTW, you would have to travel to SC. The alternative is to go through a third party FFL. It is much safer that way. For the seller, if it is a rifle, he can just send the rifle to YOUR FFL. He does not have to involve an FFL person. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of the info. This just proves to me that the FFL's I asked info from have no clue and must be violating the rules when they are dong their jobs.

FFL to FFL transfer is how its going to be.
Thanks for saving my butt and the sellers butt.
This is why I asked the question. This is why I'm a HIDE member. Ask a question and you get the right answers, thanks again.

Steve

It does not have to be FFL to FFL. The seller can send it directly to your FFL and not incur an FFL fee on his end.

Don't feel bad dude. I am aware of a recent situation where a guy went to no less a store than Cabelas for advice on shipping a rifle interstate & Cabelas advised him that he had no need to ship to an FFL, he could just send it direct to the buyer who was located on the other side of the country.....
eek.gif

Just because folks have an FFL (I do) doesn't mean they know the law as well as they should do. Sad but true.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Rijndael,
So do you mean if the seller comes to my state with the rifle and we go to an FFL in person, we can legally make the transaction?????

That is how I read it.

I see no difference if the seller ships the rifle to an FFL in YOUR state or delivers it to the same FFL in person.

The key, is the FFL you get the gun from MUST BE IN YOUR STATE.

You can always call your local ATF office and ask an agent directly. I have done it a couple of times and have found them to be surprisingly friendly and helpful. They've never even asked me my name. I always call from somewhere other than my home or cell, though - one can never be too careful....

sounds good, I have several to pick from just minutes from the house. As long as this transaction is legal for the seller and myself is what is my concern. No need to have charges filed for a stupid mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 328 RII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rijndael,
So do you mean if the seller comes to my state with the rifle and we go to an FFL in person, we can legally make the transaction????? </div></div>

That is correct, Still has to go into his log book and then transferred out, just like if it was shipped to him. And if Im not mistaken a long gun can also be transferred from an ffl in the sellers state.

thanks everyone for all of the good info. like i said before, this is why I'm glad to be a HIDE member. All of the help and information is fantastic. I hope I can help you guys when you need something.

thanks

Steve

Steve, don't forget that for a LONG GUN, as long as your state allows it, you may go to another state & purchase a long gun from an FFL in that state. I have folks from CO come to my FFL location in NM to pick up long guns that I have transferred in for them because I'm one of the cheapest transfer dealers in the 4 corners. Perfectly legal.

As would be a CO resident coming to my location with a NM buyer & we do the transfer thru my books.

What really sux is being an FFL & I can't go to a gun show in CO & sell my products. Can only transfer stuff in my own state, bummer when the state has more prairie dogs than people....
shocked.gif