• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Factory ammo through a Rem 700 AAC-SD question.

apf383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
I am a reloader, but for the time being, I am between residences and cannot set up my press, nor have I started loading for the rifle. I shoot a Rem 700 AAC-SD in .308 (1:10 twist) with some popular accuracy mods which include an aftermarket stock, trigger, and nice base, scope, and rings. Stock is not beded yet. I am looking for suggestions for factory ammo until I get back to reloading. I tried some Prvi Partizan 175 gr ( I think ) Match ammo and can only get 1.5-2.0 inch 5 shot groups. What other factory ammo should I be trying with the above combo? I realize that I may be part of the problem as these groups usually contain a flyer, but I need to pick us some ammo so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

ETA, here is a pic from last time out. Can do this all day, just can't see to get them tighter.

IMG_1628_zpsa3fb1319.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
When I purchased my .308, 24" 1-10 twist Savage, I tried some Federal Gold Match 168 and Hornady Match 168, both worked good at 100yds sub moa. No idea how they would do beyond that. They were used to get a rough zero for my scope after mounting. Like you I load my own.

Hornady superformance 175amax and 168amax works really well for me. Southwest ammo and Nosler custom are pretty good too. FGMM is a good one to fall back on also.

Thanks guys. I have purchased those projectiles for reloading, but never shot factory ammo with them.

The Prvi Partizan 175 gr stuff is not good for determining the full accuracy potential of a rifle. My go to commercial ammunition is the Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 or 175. It is very consistent, as far as commercial ammo is concerned, and it will give you a good understanding of accuracy your rifle can obtain. If you get those kind of groups with FGMM ammo it is either the stock not being bedded and has some wiggle room or it's you.

Thanks JSTARSZ. I just picked 2 boxes of Black Hills .308 Match Ammo, one box of 168gr. and the other 175gr. just to see what the rifle likes better. I've read mixed reviews of the BH, but we will see. No FGMM available. Not cheap either btw, 35.00/20 of the 168 and 38.00/20 of the 175's.

Last edited:
Shot Copper Creek .308, 175 with the same gun in 2014. Great results.

Attachments

• photo53137.jpg
    photo53137.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
since the post is already back up...the 700 aac's problem is the hogue stock. messes with harmonics sometimes. i put mine in a magpul hunter and its done very well at 100y. that 20 inch barrel at LR or ELR is another story

I have one and shot two others. All three have printed .75 moa or better with Hornady 155 amax match. Pulled one apart its 45.4 grains of varget 2.790"

Yeah ive been getting a consistent 1-1.5 moa out of mine

1-10 twist, 16.5" barrel, bedded greyboe stock

Black hills 168gr - 1 moa
Hornaday superformance 165 gr - 1.25 moa
Winchester match 168gr - 1.5 moa
Federal xm80 - 2moa

Will probably try some heavier 175gr rounds when i get the chance.