• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fair Wait Time for Payment

BAT_Boy

critter_bill
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2005
Williamston, SC
I've made a number of great deals in the Equipment Exchange in the last few years and have dealt with many first class people. Anywhere from small stuff to Surgeons and S&B optics. Most have paid promptly or shipped promptly and offered great communications throughout each transaction.

However, on occasion you encounter the rare "comms challenged turtle" (usually new to the Hide) who is slow to pay after the "I'll take it." My question to the regulars is: How long do you think is a reasonable wait time for receiving payment before moving on to the second in line? I usually pay within 2 to 3 days with Postal MOs sent via Priority Mail unless we agree otherwise. Do you think two weeks is fair?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Re: Fair Wait Time for Payment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've made a number of great deals in the Equipment Exchange in the last few years and have dealt with many first class people. Anywhere from small stuff to Surgeons and S&B optics. Most have paid promptly or shipped promptly and offered great communications throughout each transaction.

However, on occasion you encounter the rare "comms challenged turtle" (usually new to the Hide) who is slow to pay after the "I'll take it." My question to the regulars is: How long do you think is a reasonable wait time for receiving payment before moving on to the second in line? I usually pay within 2 to 3 days with Postal MOs sent via Priority Mail unless we agree otherwise. Do you think two weeks is fair?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. </div></div>

7 biz days unless they specifically say or ask for longer. Lets be honest if you want something you can get a MO out to anyone in the country in roughly 5 days.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've made a number of great deals in the Equipment Exchange in the last few years and have dealt with many first class people. Anywhere from small stuff to Surgeons and S&B optics. Most have paid promptly or shipped promptly and offered great communications throughout each transaction.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. </div></div>

7 biz days unless they specifically say or ask for longer. Lets be honest if you want something you can get a MO out to anyone in the country in roughly 5 days....... </div></div>

Out of resect to the seller, if its a money order, I always try to get it out the next day, or the following at least. 2-3 weeks and id be fumeing.

Payment should be in hand within 10 days.
That's giving the buyer 3 days to gather funds and a full week transit time.
That is as liberal as I would be with anyone.

I send the tracking number to the seller for the MO so he can follow it and also so he knows its on its way.

I would have relisted after 7 days, especially without a tracking number within two days.

I was clear as mud on my payment method: I purchase MO same day or next day latest and funds are in sellers hand within 2 to 3 days via Priority Mail. I also PM Delivery Confirmation number to seller for tracking purposes as well.

Thanks for the good input.

New here, but not elsewhere. I never wait more than 7 days unless they state that the payment is gonna b/c they are out of town or something along those lines. Usually ppl are just buying time w/ bs excuses while they wait for something to sell... or if they can find a better deal in the mean time.

I send payment out the next business day if not the same day. The only exception would be bank or Fed holidays. I think anyone should be able to get payment to a seller within 10 days at the very max.

usually, I'd say a week, but some of my stuff, both out going and incoming, has been delayed recently, and I know when I sent the out going, so it might be the post office.

I always try to put a mo in the mail on the next business day.I send a pm saying I mailed it.As far as I know,the po has never taken longer than 3 days to deliver.I would expect payment within a week. Lightman

IMO payment should be sent within 3-5 business max days from the "i will take it" if it is being sent via money order then it should be sent with a tracking number

I'm still waiting for Mr. Mustafa the Nigerian prince's check to arrive reimbursing me for helping him get his family's money out of the country.

So I would recommend you wait indefinitely.

I am by all accounts a newbie here and just purchased the most expensive stick I've ever purchased from a fellow hide member and paid within 5 days (Money order was in the mail the next day)of the I'll take it.

Any longer than 10 IMO is too long.

@ Shankster: But Mr. Mustafa is listed as GTG on the Good Guy list and batting 100% on eBay....

I have to agree with most above if I don't get payment within 7 days and that is with a couple of PM's between the two then I am moving on. I have only had one issue since buying things on this site and I have bought quite a bit so I guess I am still lucky. But, when I sale items there is a unwritten rule of correspondence as it let me know what is happening. I understand stuff happens but just let me know.

I am down with the 10 day thing also and the same goes with shipping. Even though I am usually same day or next day. But that is just me.

you all sure have a whole bunch more patience than I do. I've not sold anything here or bought anything, but I have B&S some very high-end camera gear, and with Amazon payments, Google checkout, I expect payment within one hour, or I move on to next in line. W/ USPS MO or personal check, I use Priority Mail to send w/ Delivery Confirmation, and it goes out same day with tracking, rarely on the next day. I expect the same treatment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO payment should be sent within 3-5 business max days from the "i will take it" if it is being sent via money order then it should be sent with a tracking number </div></div>

IMO, if you get a payment out within a couple or three days for small items, or two days at most for big-ticket items (unless other arrangements are made between B&S), it's all good in the neighborhood. I'm not going to get too wrapped around the axle about a $50 item. Hell, I just sent a holster to a guy off the Hide with no prepayment to try and see if it works - I told him if he likes it, just keep it and drop me a PMO in the mail, otherwise just send it back.

Now, I expect the same consideration in return, too - sometimes work intrudes and I can't get to the post office for several days, so if you need your money this afternoon, you'd best let me know up front so I can decide if I want whatever you're selling bad enough to go that far out of my way.

The only thing that will really get me spun up is a bad check or serious misrepresentation of the condition of the item, and since I don't take checks except in VERY limited circumstances, it's not been a big problem. I would have no problem taking something back if someone was genuinely not happy with it (I believe a three-day inspection period is fair for a firearm, with the buyer paying shipping back if they choose to return it.), but I would expect the buyer to pay to ship the item back to me.

On the other end, I do my best to describe the condition of whatever I'm selling - but if you're one of those nutbags that will find a 1/8" scratch on the back of a holster that I didn't take three different macro shots of, and are going to scream and yell, please, just find someone else to harass.

I try to trust gun people to the maximum extent I can safely, and I've yet to be screwed (except by PayPal, who can tongue the underside of my balls after a long run on a hot day.).

When I buy something our sell something I always have good coms, that's important because you don't want some one to think your not reliable. As far as purchasing things here on the Hide I let them know when I am shipping payment and I use 3 day priority mail with a tracking number. This way the seller knows when they will receive payment. I have always had great transactions with other Hide members, both purchasing and selling.

If I purchase something, whether it be on here or eBay, I pay INSTANTLY if Paypal is an option and if it's not an option, I purchase the money order and send it the very next day. Why? Because I don't believe in saying <span style="font-style: italic">'I'll take it'</span> and then making the buyer wait days on end for his payment.

If you don't have money in the bank or on hand, don't say <span style="font-style: italic">'I'll take it'</span> and then ask the guy if he can wait X amount of days until you get paid. That is bullshit and something that should've been arranged <span style="font-style: italic">before</span> you told the seller you wanted the item(s) being sold.

As others have said, communication is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">VERY</span></span> important and especially when there's hundreds or thousands of dollars in merchandise being purchased or sold.

When I sold my NightForce, I took photos every step of the way. I took a photo of the condition before it was boxed up with all of the contents, a photo after I had boxed and wrapped it up that showed the buyers address, and a photo of the proper postage along with insurance receipts after I arrived at the post office and it was no longer in my possession.

By doing that, the buyer knows <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">exactly</span></span> what they will be receiving and the condition it should arrive in. I don't expect a seller to do the same with me, as in taking so many photos, but it would be very helpful in the event the package arrives with damage incurred.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Payment should be in hand within 10 days.
That's giving the buyer 3 days to gather funds and a full week transit time.
That is as liberal as I would be with anyone. </div></div>

what he said

HIDE members have always held themselves to a higher standard that starts with care in the item description. Payment must go out the first possible mailing day in valid/provable funds. The item must be carefully packed and waiting for the funds to arrive for quick trackable shipping. In my experience over the years there has been a race to get payment/goods to the other member first. I have had many items arrive before my promptly mailed payment made it to the seller which made me crazy until resolved. Keep it going. Regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HIDE members have always held themselves to a higher standard that starts with care in the item description. Payment must go out the first possible mailing day in valid/provable funds. The item must be carefully packed and waiting for the funds to arrive for quick trackable shipping. In my experience over the years there has been a race to get payment/goods to the other member first. I have had many items arrive before my promptly mailed payment made it to the seller which made me crazy until resolved. Keep it going. Regards </div></div>

This has been my experience also.

I always send it out the day I say I'll take it, usually priority mail. I did have a problem with the USPS. I sent payment for a rifle I purchased on gunbroker via priority mail and it took 13 days to get there. At day 7 when the seller still hadn't received payment I sent it again UPS overnight. I felt like it was my problem because I decided on the method to get the payment there. When it finally arrived, they sent me back the first MO and I redeemed it for cash myself at the post office.

I've only bought a few items on this forum, haven't sold anything. Granted, I'm not talking about a lot of stuff, but I never seen the transaction go more then 10 days from the day I say I'll take it, until the time the payment is sent/recieved and the item delivered to my house.

I'm not a patent person. I want it now, I figure the sooner I get the payment out, the sooner the item is delivered.