• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FALCON OPTICS, Website?

Halvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
Greenville, SC
So is FALCON defunct and out of business?? I feel sure some will give me grief for even asking, but their website has been down for several weeks now. "The web site is temporarily unavailable..." In this business letting your url slide is tantamount to a brick and mortar business not paying the rent or the telephone bill. Makes no sense to me. I was leaning toward purchasing the 4-14 as my entry level scope, now I am not so certain...

Edited to remove "R.I.P.?" from thread title.

Re: FALCON OPTICS, R.I.P.?

The falconoptics.com domain registration expire in less than 20 days:

domain: falconoptics.com
created: 13-Oct-2005
last-changed: 08-Sep-2008
registration-expiration: 13-Oct-2009

That is a sign in itself.
This might prove that, no matter how long the warranty is, if the scope is coming from a one-man-op, you can be screwed pretty hard.
Just hope mine doesn't melt (not that I expected much from it though) ...

Domain renewal is not something to judge a business on. My domains all autorenew and this happens on the expiration date itself. Original owner gets at least two months redemption period before it changes hands.

But not a good sign either way.

"Domain renewal is not something to judge a business on."

I cannot agree, especially in this day and age. I can think of nothing more important than a fully functioning website, checking and updating it daily, and responding to queries through it.

If SWFA never again sold another super sniper scope, he isn't going anywhere. I would imagine his profits on sales of Loopy's alone, equal profits on his his SS brand.

Maintaining a site has nothing to do when the domainname expires
wink.gif

The last renewal was 08-Sep-2008, that's an hint. Web server down by 1+ months, it's another one.
Probably coincidental, as we hope, but not good signs for sure.

"Authorized dealer for Falcon Optics and US Optics"

So when was the last time USO allowed their website to go dark?

Is it a British thing, not giving attention to ones website?

It is troubling and disturbing period. Hearing someone say "don't worry guys" in response, is well... not all that reassuring.

you guys are getting all upset over a website. They are obviously not out of business because their scopes keep coming out and are abundant in the market today. But yet you are questioning an authorized vendor of the companies optics. Trivial at best worrying about a website being down

Funny this got brought up because I actually had just sent an email to them about a week ago regarding their site situation.. Here is my email and their response.

My email Sept 11
-----------------------------------------------------------------
To whom it may concern:

I am an avid supporter of your products however your website has been down for months now. Please dont take this the wrong way but having a site that has been down for the extreme period that yours has been down, is a poor representation of your company. You have quality products which are well respected in the shooting community however the inability for users to access your page has resulted in substantial questions and doubt with the less knowledgeable or new shooters looking to purchase a Falcon product for the first time. I myself have been holding off on the purchase of your products for the mere fact that I am an Information Technology professional and find it quite aggravating the current situation of your page. Please do not take this the wrong way as I said I fully support your products and feel that you are the best bang for the buck for a quality optic. I just felt compelled to inform you that your current page has deterred allot of first time buyers and raised a number of questions.

Sincerely,
Me...

Their response Sept 15.
Thanks for your feedback.

The site should be back up and running soon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Best Regards

Nick Watts

Falcon Optics, Strawmoor Lane, Oaken, Staffordshire, WV8 2HY, United Kingdom.

(0)1902 847972

-----------------------

Personally I feel that their response was quite a disappointment and expected more from them. Also, there has been no change to the status of their page.

"Trivial at best worrying about a website being down"

For that long? I would say the same re: Badger, Seekins, heck even Bushnell for that matter.

lawtonriflebarrels to lawtonmachine involved no long term website downtime...

I hope I am wrong, probably am in fact. Just not something that inspires any confidence.

From what I understand, they produce an outstanding, rugged optic for a price that allows a lot of people to have a scope with features that would typically only be found in a scope almost $1,000.00 more. Furthermore they have been put to the test by people whose opinion I trust. They could have no website for all I care. It’s the scope that matters.

If you are going to buy your scope by judging the website, check this one out and buy with confidence, http://www.countersniperoptics.com

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Please not another countersniper post....Damn it Shankster, I had just cleansed myself from that last one!! Please dont tell Pete to post here to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think he was questioning the value of the websites content, but rather the fact that they cant seem to keep it online. </div></div>

I guess I should have included one of these:
grin.gif

I wasn't trying to be a dick. It's just that internet rumors of companies going out of business are very damaging with long term consequences for the business. Especially making those statements just because their website is down.

I was just trying to put it into perspective.

Cheers.

I don't know how many of you have ever owned your own small business, but sometimes even the really important things can get away from you. I have no knowledge of Falcon's situation or how many people work there, but it's possible they're just behind the 8-ball. I can understand being concerned if you're in position to order, but speculating out loud on the interwebs about the viability of a company is not good manners unless you have solid evidence.

Giving the benefit of the doubt has rescued my hind-end more than once, but I had to get nearly-old to learn that.
smile.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Actually USO's site has needed TLC many times in the past, and updating is few and far between. Looks good currently though.

Jesus, how did we do anything prior to the internet???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Actually USO's site has needed TLC many times in the past, and updating is few and far between. Looks good currently though.

Jesus, how did we do anything prior to the internet??? </div></div>

Mail Order and the HOME telephone.....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I cannot agree, especially in this day and age.<span style="color: #FF0000"> I can think of nothing more important </span>than a fully functioning website, checking and updating it daily, and responding to queries through it.
</div></div>

Maybe..............building scopes?????
wink.gif

There's also sound business logic when it comes to supply and demand.

Let's supposed for a minute that falcon is producing the maximum amount of scopes that their factory and QA department is capable of. Also, let's assume that due to crazy demand for anything gun-related, that all of those scopes are being sold. So, falcon is making as many scopes as possible, and they're selling all of them.

Why would they want or need to spend resources (time and money) improving their website (essentially advertising) if they're unable to meet the increased demand this would bring? All that would do is drive down customer satisfaction.

If they had warehouses full of scopes and in desperate need to offload them, then I would agree that getting their website up should be top priority. BUT, that doesn't appear to be the case. Why increase your advertising if you're already selling out your supply?

Why the excuses for bad business practices? What shortcut to facilitate pushing out product will come next? Cutting back on customer service? Doing away with quality control? Eliminate packing materials?

Not keeping the website up for this length of time is a bad business practice.

You can vote with your dollar if you don't approve of the way they run their company, but why bash them in a public forum?

John

Why? Do you think that if you go at the Falcon Optics address you'll find a small factory/lab making scopes?
smile.gif

Trip to China to find a manufacturer: 2000UKP
Setting up a garage/storage/office: 1000UKP
Buying domain and trivial web site: 1000UKP
Enjoying the cache flow while routing Chinese scopes around the world: Priceless
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why? Do you think that if you go at the Falcon Optics address you'll find a small factory/lab making scopes?
smile.gif

Trip to China to find a manufacturer: 2000UKP
Setting up a garage/storage/office: 1000UKP
Buying domain and trivial web site: 1000UKP
Enjoying the cache flow while routing Chinese scopes around the world: Priceless
grin.gif

</div></div>

You just described 90% of the scope "manufacturers" in the world (insert Phillipines, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, etc.)
grin.gif

John

Except some, whose name by the way, does not born in one day.
There's nothing wrong with that model, as long as buyers understand it, and understand the warranty risks associated with a one-man operation.
My reply was to the ones that naively asserted that the web site down might have been related to Falcon "focusing on production"
wink.gif

Hey for those owners of a 4-14x44 ffp ML16 mil/mil scope, I would be concerned and probably get rid of it...

...and I would PM me with how much you want for it.

Falcon Optics RIP?
I don't think so. Didn't they just release a new scope into production?

I have a Falcon Menace and am glad I do. It is a nice match for my budget Savage 223 AI. I have seen this scope compared in this forum to the Luepold MK4 more than once. You should not be able to do this with a scope at this price.

I have never attempted to find the Falcon website.
I have accessed a website or two that sells the Falcon Menace because that was what was available to me. I have recently heard back from one of them in a timely response to my question about the new knobs Falcon just came out with. Maybe they should have paid their internet bill instead?

Call me simple, but when it comes to shooting I don't give a whole lot of thought to tantamount relationships of business models. I just like to get out there and shoot. The Falcon Menace allows me to stay fairly occupied with other things like wind, yardage, loads, NPA, breathing, trigger pull, follow through, etc., and hopefully hitting what I'm aiming at.

If websites figure that much into your shooting I have seen at least one that you can actually do your shooting right on the website.

BTW, I do not in any way mean this post to bash any other scope. I appreciate options and the more the better.

Your mileage may vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodstock-16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Please not another countersniper post....Damn it Shankster, I had just cleansed myself from that last one!! Please dont tell Pete to post here to. </div></div>

LOL, someone ask about ninja lessons? ;-)

Seriously though, this is a Falcon Optics thread. Curious to see what happens with all this.

I would guess that RWS, being a reputable dealer here of their products would know if there was an issue. The Falcon website was never very good to begin with though, and the same info can be found at the RWS or the Wonders Optics sites so I wouldn't be too concerned. It's not like we were buying stuff direct from their site. Also, the email response, even if less than loquacious, indicates they are still there if nothing else.
-Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I feel that their response was quite a disappointment and expected more from them. Also, there has been no change to the status of their page. </div></div>

Were you expecting a free scope or something?

The optics seem to speak for themselves, do you really need the company to hype their own product for you to decide? If you then decided you wanted a Falcon why not call up RWS or SightWonders and help support their companys? Seems to make sense to me.. but what do I know, I don't even have a website..

Man I hope not, I am waiting on a 10x42 I got off on Gunbroker. I was also considering a 4-14 for my SSG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Species</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard from an unreliable source in the Pentagon that Falcon Optics was in the midst of an Obamanation take over.</div></div>

Aren we all?

I edited the first post to remove "R.I.P.?" from the thread title. I apologize to Falcon, RWS and all Falcon dealers, and anyone who this upset or ticked off. I don't want to start an erroneous "internet rumor", or negatively affect small business persons or products unfairly.

To be clear, I wasn't complaining about the websites content. I cannot SEE the websites content. In fact I have done and will continue to patronize small businesses that have never had a website. However, if they DO have one, it only makes good business sense to maintain it, keep it updated, reply to queries through it in a timely manner, and of course keep the hosting fees paid up to date. If it is in the process of being changes, updated or revamped, at least have a landing page with a short explanation.

If they are shipping product, replying to dealer orders and inquiries, answering the phone, maybe they just have let this slip through the cracks... and everything is fine.

Speaking as someone with a lot of business experience this is the kind of thing one should not neglect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Jesus, how did we do anything prior to the internet??? </div></div>

Sears Catalog...

lol, who cares about their website. they're for sale @ rwsnydergunsmithing.com

falcon even released a new model of Falcon FFP in 50 and 56mm objective with 5-25 magnification. i doubt they're going the way of the dinosaur...

also their scopes are available on gunbroker.com