• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Farming

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Time has come to start paying much closer attention to the "Farmers" and what they are saying.

Attachments

• The last tree.jpg
    The last tree.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 297
I'm no farmer, but I was a farm worker as a kid and teen and I can tell you I would pay to see some of these whiny soy boys out there who bitch about everything under the sun work just an hour in my shoes when I worked on farms. Hell, I'll be conservative and just give them a half hour. :D

Hell I don't know how the hell I did it back then and that was just summer labor.

Up at 6AM to get to the High School to catch the trucks at 6:30 so we didn't have to work in the heat of the day.
I tell my co-workers I was working at 13 and they look at me like I am retarded. Maybe that's unrelated, but still...

Ask a 12 or 13 yo to pack a lunch and report to work at 6am today.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and if you lived or worked on a farm......

Bill Gates owns 242,000 acres of primo farmland. So we know what's going down.

Exploit the current farmscape and preserve his land. Then when food supplies fail you have a private reserve for yourself and the rich who can afford it.

Always watch what the rich are doing. They are the ones setting things in motion.

So true. I done the same growing up was in a tobacco patch by the time I was 7 dropping sticks during cutting season. As we I grew up it only got harder. Was always working in hay or tobacco. Made me who I am today. I always say you think you got it rough go cut tobacco when its a 100 degrees fight the rattle snakes and the copperheads the next day under the piles. Then you get to go to the barn and climb to the sky only to fight more snakes and wasp at times. This time your just 20 foot in the air standing on 4x4 post. Always made for a lovely day. Kids these days wouldn't make it the half hour mentioned above. But you know who's fault it is? OURS!

Rant over just one thing that really bugs the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Exploit the current farmscape and preserve his land. Then when food supplies fail you have a private reserve for yourself and the rich who can afford it.

Always watch what the rich are doing. They are the ones setting things in motion.
Bill Gates was friends with Jeffery Epstein so I would take a leap to say that Bill Gates much like Bill Clinton loved children.

Reactions: Steel head
I'm no farmer, but I was a farm worker as a kid and teen and I can tell you I would pay to see some of these whiny soy boys out there who bitch about everything under the sun work just an hour in my shoes when I worked on farms. Hell, I'll be conservative and just give them a half hour. :D
I can only imagine all the complaining that would happen

I'll bring out a few things about Bill Gates and Ann Winblad .... You guys will have to Google and research on your own so as to not side track the OP.

When the then-couple journeyed to Brazil, Gates brought with him a 1,100-page textbook on molecular biology — and the duo studied it together, Time said.

Connect the dots - The largest owner of American farm land, mistress is Ann Winblad and long ago they were studying molecular biology....

Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control people. — Henry Kissinger​

Pfft, i dont know about ya'll, but my nephew gets worked like a rented mule when he comes over. If the youth you know are weak there is 2 options. Do nothing, or invest in the future.

Reactions: myronman3
I grew some tomatoes once. It was hard work. Had to hire a gal to pick them and slice them for me. Then she took me for half of everything I owned. The things men do for sliced tomatoes.

Nobody gives a shit about us. When the world shut done because of COVID we were still working sun up to sun down then some. Somebody had to feed the world.
Well, there are a few of us who give a shit about you... Actually I have a lot of respect for farmers. I watch a young couple across the road from me who are into their 5 season of farming. They are the two hardest working people I have ever seen... They are out walking the green houses and fields in the middle of the night after working the fields all day and bringing a trailer load to the farmers market on Saturday...

There are young farmers who have inherited the family farm after watching Dad and Grandpa work the land.... They can't even plant a crop due to changes in the "Government Regulations".... Difficult to understand.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I remember this John Cougar song.

Nobody gives a shit about us. When the world shut done because of COVID we were still working sun up to sun down then some. Somebody had to feed the world.
The time will come, and when it does, those who have become so complacent, and so out of touch with reality, will eat each other. Not knowing where their food comes from, or how to sow their own seed is becoming a lost art. The equipment, the know how, the acreages, the inputs, many don't have any sort of idea what goes into it.

I believe I heard Rush say this years ago, This Country was founded on two things, "God and Agriculture". I'm seeing both slowly erode.

Hell I don't know how the hell I did it back then and that was just summer labor.

Up at 6AM to get to the High School to catch the trucks at 6:30 so we didn't have to work in the heat of the day.
I tell my co-workers I was working at 13 and they look at me like I am retarded. Maybe that's unrelated, but still...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Started crawling on my hands and knees at 10 yo, picking strawberries. Dad in one field, plowing/discing/planting/cultivating. Me in another, doing the same at 13, all the way up to 18. After that, time to serve my Country. F! Memories I'll never forget. Thanks for allowing me to reminisce. Mac(y)

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
So true. I done the same growing up was in a tobacco patch by the time I was 7 dropping sticks during cutting season. As we I grew up it only got harder. Was always working in hay or tobacco. Made me who I am today. I always day you think you got it rough go cut tobacco when its a 100 degrees fight the rattle snakes and the copperheads the next day under the piles. Then you get to go to the barn and climb to the sky only to fight more snakes and wasp at times. This time your just 20 foot in the air standing on 4x4 post. Always made for a lovely day. Kids these days wouldn't make it the half hour mentioned above. But you know who's fault it is? OURS!

Suckered backer over 10 an a half acres in Kentucky. That an' squashed the worms.. Small scale. An uncle in East Tennessee grew more. We'd always seem to visit kin there during cutting time. Like you, I was about 7 or so, I drove the tractor. The older guys done the work. Cut, stake, stack. Pull the wagon to the barn an watch 'em hang it in the barn to dry. They'd bring Grandma twist. She'd cut a piece an chew while in her rocking chair on the porch of her cinder block house Uncle Leonard built for her. Them days, that was high cotton.

Never stayed there long enough to see the end but back home we'd visit the burley mart . There would be hundreds of pallets with tied skeens. The buyers sampled and bought lots based on those samples. Dad could point out the best.

That's been a while ago.

Thank you.
MrSmith

Around these parts, the family farm is getting fewer and farther between.

As the older generations die off, the kids sell the farm land, either to larger farms or to developers.... just down the road from me 300 acres of what used to be farm land, is now car dealerships and yuppie communities.

You dont see 50 to 100 acre farms anymore, its all done by one farm, hired out, on 20k acres.

I too detasseled corn at 13 and 14, only we had to be on the bus at 5am.

Shred

Having dabbled in raising cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens, ducks, and goats I appreciate our farmers/ranchers that much more. It is difficult to appreciate the work that goes into food supply until you experience it yourself. Keep up the great work guys/gals.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Grew up with an agrarian heritage with cycles in and out of "city life" as family would "farm till the money runs out".
Hogs, cattle, hay, turkeys ( 50k of those dumb sumbiches ), no row crops or dairy beyond personal consumption. Lotta fencing, hay hauling, manure spreading, bush hogging, de-horning etc. Go to bed tired, but a good kind of tired. Always ate well. Miss it dearly.

So true. I done the same growing up was in a tobacco patch by the time I was 7 dropping sticks during cutting season. As we I grew up it only got harder. Was always working in hay or tobacco. Made me who I am today. I always day you think you got it rough go cut tobacco when its a 100 degrees fight the rattle snakes and the copperheads the next day under the piles. Then you get to go to the barn and climb to the sky only to fight more snakes and wasp at times. This time your just 20 foot in the air standing on 4x4 post. Always made for a lovely day. Kids these days wouldn't make it the half hour mentioned above. But you know who's fault it is? OURS!

Tobacco farming is the hardest there is. It begins in February with the seed bed prep and ends when its sold in December. Don't forget planting it by hand, watering it when its dry, hoeing every row once a week, pulling suckers and bugs, cutting, hanging it, taking it down, wrapping it, etc. Some of my fondest memories was wrapping tobacco with the old men swapping stories..

When I did it with my brothers, we kept a log of time and who did what to make the proceed divisions fair. We each averaged 400 hours a year for 5 acres. I have 4 brothers.

It was some good times. I learned a lot more than just work ethic during those years. Its something I think everyone should have to experience at least one year in their life. It makes you appreciate so much more.

Thankfully there’s a growing movement of farmers telling the huge seed corporations to pound sand and starting to grow crops using regenerative methods.

I'm just an old retired welder... Certainly not a Farmer... But, the way "things" are lookin' I figured I better at least grow some corn and spuds to get me through the winter, here on the homestead, if the supply chain breaks.

My day in a photo or three

Attachments

• IMG_4162.JPG
    IMG_4162.JPG
    646.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    605.6 KB · Views: 67
As much as nobody wants to admit it we are still an agrarian society. You can play with your bit coins and stocks but at the end of the day we all still need to eat. Without food it all stops. Nothing has changed. Even Bill Gates has figured it out. Surely everyone else could.

alternatively, it could be thought of like this: Dow, Bayer, Monsanto, Cargill and others are as large as they are because they have inserted themselves into the apex of human need worldwide. We don’t need a lot of things; we desperately need food in a constant supply. We are all welfare babies in that regard.

Last edited:
You are missing the overall point, but after your rant on farmers in another thread, fuck it. You do you.

A headline today says - "Wheat futures eye lowest finish in about a month as USDA raises global output forecast"....
At the moment wheat futures are at $278 / tonne..... Looking at some charts I can't find where wheat has ever sold for that much. Headlines have a spin on then that is misleading... Similar to some older headlines saying the price of gasoline was down to $4 / gallon....

Wheat is up 34% in cost for the year..... There is a lot of propaganda out there saying "Not to worry about inflation"... currently, inflation is being used against "We the People" like never before.

Pay attention

Reactions: eca7891
I'm not missing anything. Simply providing perspective to a specific comment that was made.
Guess what. Something goes wrong with the food supply chain you will starve too when all that walking meat around you gets stolen/poached

By the end of the 1930s there were almost no deer left in much of the Eastern United States. With the population density of the Dakotas, I think he is in one of the less worrisome places for that becoming an issue with an extended food shortage. Especially considering the candian wilderness, north of north Dakota.

I have never seen so many cattle in this part of country this time of year. The grass is already bad from extended drought, the irrigation store is not looking good for next year. I bet there wont be enough for us to get any of our shares next year. We haven't had measurable precipitation in months. People are putting up more hay than I have seen in a long time.

I literally live in an area where combines rule the roads in fall. All farm area around me. 2 of my best friends farm for a living. I think over 4k acres each now. I spend alot of time with them and still am amazed at the small payoff vs the debt, risk, work.

Great guys

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I’m a contractor, I started working with my old man when I was 16, by 19 I was out with my own truck and tools starting demo and set up for our next job. I had a few jobs where I offered friends of mine from high school $150-$200 per day plus ride to and from the site and lunch and not one of them took me up on it. I just wanted help Bringing out debris and loading it on the truck. Keep in mind these are 19 yr old kids with no job and they ask mom and dad for money on the weekend. It was pathetic, needless to say I don’t talk to a soul from HS now.

Once my dad sent me off to demo a large bathroom, cast iron tub, separate shower stall, wire mesh and a wet bed for the tile on the wall 5’ tall, wet bed on the floor… just a shitload of material to remove. My old man asked if I had guys coming to help the night before. I told him I did, so he wouldn’t worry about me. Got it all tore out and loaded on the truck, got home pretty late. Told him I finished up and he said Great! We will head over tomorrow. The next morning I was up at 5:30 to take the load off to the dump. Truck weighed 16,000lbs. Normally weighed just under 10,000lbs empty. Showed up on the job and the homeowner commented how impressed he was that I tore the whole bathroom out and loaded it alone, in only a day. Pops was impressed.

I don’t know why some people turn out the way they do, my brothers and I were raised in a very similar environment and I’m pretty sure I’m the only one that would work myself 20 hours a day if I needed to, to provide for my family… I guess that’s why they say some people are just built differently.

As much as nobody wants to admit it we are still an agrarian society. You can play with your bit coins and stocks but at the end of the day we all still need to eat. Without food it all stops. Nothing has changed. Even Bill Gates has figured it out. Surely everyone else could.

alternatively, it could be thought of like this: Dow, Bayer, Monsanto, Cargill and others are as large as they are because they have inserted themselves into the apex of human need worldwide. We don’t need a lot of things; we desperately need food in a constant supply. We are all welfare babies in that regard.
Those giant corporations(in any sector) have only gotten as big as they are because they have managed to buy themselves into a gov protected cartel. The less everyone focuses on the farthest away suppliers and focuses on finding as much of their food as close as possible the less susceptible we’ll be to any problems

Reactions: deersniper