• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which scope for Winchester Model 70 .308?

cjdun1234

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Greetings, I have recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .308 Win, and I am trying to decide on which scope to purchase. I am deciding between the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm and the NXS 3.5-15x50 mm. I went with the Nightforce NXS due to the reputation of high quality and durability. All input is appreciated Thanks!

You'll probably get more traction in the 'Observation & Sighting Devices' sub-forum.

That being said; 10x is more than enough to take your .308 Win 70 Super Grade out to the limits of its capabilities.

Reactions: cjdun1234
I'm a big fan of the NXS 2.5-10 for a lightweight all around durable, usable optic.
Or if you want to go a little more traditional you could sport a Swaro Z3 1-9. Great glass, lightweight, under $1k.

I'm a big fan of the NXS 2.5-10 for a lightweight all around durable, usable optic.
Or if you want to go a little more traditional you could sport a Swaro Z3 1-9. Great glass, lightweight, under $1k.
Is it worth buying the 3.5-15x50, it is only $100 more on Euro Optic?

Is it worth buying the 3.5-15x50, it is only $100 more on Euro Optic?
In my opinion, that magnification is not a good one unless its FFP.
Unless you only plan on using the holds at max magnification, I'd find an alternative with a similar mag range in FFP such as the new T6Xi series, or stick with the SFP and compromise mag down to, say, 2.5-10. 😉

In my opinion, that magnification is not a good one unless its FFP.
Unless you only plan on using the holds at max magnification, I'd find an alternative with a similar mag range in FFP such as the new T6Xi series, or stick with the SFP and compromise mag down to, say, 2.5-10. 😉
Noted, I'm fairly sure about buying a Nightforce NXS for the reputation of durability and quality. I do like the smaller form factor of the 2.5-10

Last edited:
If you plan on hunting the gun 2.5 to 10 would be my choice. My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold vx5hd 2-10 nice and light,good glass,
CDs dial and fire dot are great for low light and longer shots

I love my 20" 6.5cm Win m70 with the 2.5-10x42 nightforce. I like it more then my other 24" 300wsm Win m70 with a NX8 2.5-20. They are both primarily hunting rifles and I'm contemplating changing the 300wsm to a NXS 2.5-10x42.

The 2.5-10x42 is definitely a good all around scope with a great reputation. I've shot mine on steel at 940yds or so and have never missed because I needed more magnification.