• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Fast French Onion Soup for Two.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
In keeping with Maggie's Drawers Bar and Grill's original spirit:

In a large cast iron covered pot combine:

2 Vidalia Onions, tennis ball size, sliced into long strands. Trim out hard woody root portion, it's bitter.
3Tbsp Olive Oil
1Tbsp Garlic Powder
1Tsp Lowry's Seasoned Salt
1/4Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Bottle inexpensive Semi-Dry Red Wine
1Tsp Gravy Master
3Tsp Minors Beef Base

Bring mixture to a boil, simmer 1/2hr until onions are clear and soft. Add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, turn off to cool.

Take 3 slices of Sargento's Baby Swiss cheese, roll tightly into a log, and grate finely.

Take 2 slices of plain white bread and stale them in the microwave on high, 1min per slice. Cut them into coarse croutons. Bring an iron skillet to high heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, medium brown the croutons.

Line a pair of large soup mugs with the croutons, ladle the mugs full of soup mixture leaving 1/2" at top, being careful to get lots of onions into the mug, sprinkle the Baby Swiss atop the soup, microwave for two minutes per cup.

Serve with the other half bottle of semi-dry red wine in glasses on the side.

Greg

Re: Fast French Onion Soup for Two.

Two things I hate, the French and Onions. Semi-Dry Red Wine sounds good though.

Anyone who dislikes French Onion Soup should be banned for a year and 3 days... it's an outrage to publicly announce your dislike of French Onion Soup.

You're probably from the West Coast or something

Nothing better after an outdoor activity, when the big snow flakes are falling....

Some fondue and lots of wine works too...
wink.gif

Thanks Greg for that little intermede

Greg, samples on Sunday?

Seriously, it sounds like something I need to try. I really enjoy french onion soup!

Lucky me!

I`m at work and found one frozen french onion soup in the freezer!

I will enjoy it while thinking of you guys
laugh.gif

I love good French Onion Soup! I'll be giving this recipe a try this weekend....Thanks for the tip!

I've never had French Onion soup! Not that I didn't want any or anything, just never had the opportunity. This sounds awesome though. I'm going to make it and try it.

My wife makes the best French Onion soup, I'm laying in bed and justbasked her to make it. I might get some this weekend!

You know, Onions is the one food I just never grew to like. I eat everything else, all vegetables. It is really a disadvantage because they are in everything. I man up when I have to but I avoid them if I can. Wrong to not like onions but OK to not liking the French. Had to laugh at that.

Looks likd a really good recipe, Greg. Will give it a try this weekend.
Thanks for sharing

Only two onions because I was just doing lunch for two. After Celia and I had ours there was still substantial leftovers, so I drove around the corner to our Daughter's house and gave her the rest. Sharing the joy.

Next time, I'll cook the onions down a little better first, they still had a very slight crunch.

The woody root/stump is the part that causes the bulk of the tears, and it has a bitter taste too, so I quarter the onions and chip it out/dispose of it ASAP.

This whole episode came out of watching Bobby Flay's <span style="font-style: italic">Main Ingredient</span> over the W/E. He gets right down to the basics. but the recipe is essentially mine.

The foliage here in Central NY is getting toward peak color. Celia and I took a "Peeper Patrol" Sunday, over to Ithaca (had a late breakfast at the Ithaca Bakery) and up to Cortland County. She's reading <span style="font-style: italic">The Mighty Queens of Freeville</span>, so we did a short detour to check out the village. Quaint. Great trip, got back home in time to catch all but the first 30 laps of the NASCAR Sprint Cup race. Wonderful day.

I can't abide raw onions, but I put them in just about everything I cook.

My mirepois (soup/stew base) typically consists of onion, celery, and carrot. I use restaurant beef and chicken base in my soups stews, and sauces. Anything with caramelized ingredients gets Gravy Master added.

There's always chicken/rice soup, beef stew, and spaghetti/meat (pork and sausage, sometimes meatballs too, but always LOTS of meat) sauce in the house. I safety can huge batches of the sauce and stew, the soup lives in the fridge (but seldom for long...).

Sorry, Sled, all gone...

Greg

Greg, excellent addition to this forum. Yeah, I've missed the title as well. I'm just as guilty for not putting things here, that should have been.

And for those who are adverse to onions, may I make a suggestion.

Try the "Kelsae" type white onion. If you don't actually 'like' those, I'm pretty sure you won't hate them. They are that good.

Kelsae Onion

Greg,

Thanks so much for the recipe. French Onion soup is definitely one of my favorites. A sure winner when we move back to the cold of the East coast this December.

Josh

At the risk of being a food snob...

You should sautee the onion in the olive oil. Then carry on with the recipe.

Yes, I should, but this works too, and is what makes it fast.

My slow soup starts by slow poaching the onions in the wine and some butter substitute on low-medium heat so they clarify, then adding some olive oil once the wine has evaporated, to sautee the onions.

For the fast soup, all the ingredients go in together at the beginning, so the onions become permeated with all the flavors.

I've been getting PM's about beef base. It's regular restaurant chef's beef soup and gravy base, comes in a fist sized round jar. Chicken too. There's other brands, like Tone's and McCormick's. I get mine in the spice section at the warehouse/rack stores, like BJ's, Sam's, Costco, etc. Bulk food stores or restaurant purveyors should also carry some.

You can substtute bouillon cubes, but they tend to have more salt. If I was going to use them, I'd get the larger soft buillon cubes and use one or two (to taste) for each two tsp of base.

Greg

I have one recipe secret that I'll share regarding spaghetti/tomato sauce/gravy.

Most authentic sauces come out a bit too acidic/sour for my taste. I add a tbsp or two of grape jelly to the large pot during the simmer, to meld with the wine and take the sharp acidity off the flavor. Start with a small addition and let it simmer, then add more if you think it's warranted. I use a 16qt stock pot, and typically end up canning 12qt per batch.

When I'm browning the meat (pork shoulder, mild Italian Pork Sausage, store-bought Italian Meat Balls) for the sauce, I'll sometimes also add some beef base. When cubing meat for sauces and stews, keep the cubes 1" or larger, to keep the meat from drying out. Sometimes I'll skip the browning completely, this leaves the meat more tender. IMHO, the only meat that really belongs in a tomato sauce is pork. Likewise, beef is a poor substitute for venison in chili.

Greg

Sounds really good, might give it a go this weekend! I may have to substitute some of those ingredients, never heard of some of them before.