• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Chicken soup for dummies....

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Makes approximately 3qt.

In a large covered saucepan (at least 4qt):

4 tbsp Olive Oil
One medium Yellow Onion, finely diced
Two medium Carrots, peeled and chopped no bigger than a Tums tablet
Two Stalks Pascal Celery, finely diced
a splash of prepared Chicken Broth/Stock from a quart carton

Sweat the veggies on low-med heat until the onions clarify, stirring them occasionally. This crafts the Mirepoix, which constitutes the basic core of most traditional stews and soups.

When preparing the onions, start by chopping off the bottom (root) end and splitting the onion down the middle. Note that the roots spring from a distinctly different, woody part of the onion. Remove any traces of this onion wood.

This root base is bitter and contains much of the substance that makes your eyes water. Dispose of it so the fumes are not released.

While the mirepoix is sweating down, open two large (9.75-12.5oz) tins of white chicken breast meat (I prefer Swanson's for the meat and broth), and coarsely chop the chicken chunks to a size that is convenient for soup. Don't skim or drain the meat. Reserve the meat and juices until the end.

When the onions are clarified, add the remaining contents of the opened quart of chicken broth, along with an entire second quart, raise the heat, and bring the broth to a boil.

While the Broth is heating to the boil, place one cup of instant rice in a clean used butter tub with lid. Place the tub on a potholder.

When the broth is boiling, ladle out a cup or so of the boiling broth and add it to the rice in the tub, being sure to completely immerse the rice. Cover with the lid and wrap/cover with a towel to conserve heat.

Turn the Broth down to a mild simmer and leave it simmering for about an hour, or at least until the carrots are done to your preference. Turn the Broth off, add the chicken and rice, and allow to cool covered. Taste, and add chicken bouillon cube(s) if/as taste demands.

Plate and serve with crackers.

Just the thing for a nourishing lunch after some work outside in the brisk cold air. I make sure there is always a tub of my very simple homemade soup on hand. Our Granddaughter Elena pops by most afternoons on the way home from school, and nukes a bowl for herself on the way in.

I'd teach her how to make it, but then we might lose her forever...

Re: Chicken soup for dummies....

Or you could just buy a bag of this....

cocksoup.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. Saw it in the moti pic thread.

Have you ever put cilantro in your chicken soup? I love the smell and gives it a really good taste.

Greg, excellent contribution. Considering it's location (in general) I kept waiting for a punchline. And yet, it definitely deserves to be in the "Bar and Grill".

As stated above, we also enjoy the cilantro flavors. Those would fit more in a 'pho' though. The only thing I'd suggest adding to the chicken soup, is freshly cracked black pepper. Lots of it.

Back when..., one of the main purposes of the MDB&G was to exchange recipes. I'm just reviving an old custom here...

Thank you! I haven't had a cold since 2008; I caught one a couple days ago and its kicking my ass. To the grocery store...