• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Carbon Fiber AR Handguard?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Not to sound like a broken record asking for part advice, but is there a go-to carbon fiber AR handguard that most folks swear by? Brigand arms definitely has the most minimalist, basket weave option, but I'm seeing offerings from Faxon, Lancer, etc. Purely aesthetics and personal preference or more to it?

Reactions: Earnhardt
I don't have any carbon handguards anymore but I have a lancer carbon stock and it's pretty awesome. Used to have an ebay carbon handguard and it was cool but i couldn't fit an adjustable gas block under it.

Have you looked at PRI?

Certainly a go to in carbon fiber handguards.

I have not, but I'm pulling them up right now. This is why I love soliciting knowledge here - I don't know what I don't know.

Have a Faxon 17" that I'm putting up for sale this weekend. No complaints, fits the hand perfect and looks slick. Just going to something shorter.
Another company is Smoke Composites.

Edit to add, that is why I'm selling the Faxon, is I went with the 10" Smoke as I have one of their buttstocks.

Reactions: bonesaw00001
Smoke Composites makes excellent quality and minimalist hand guards and butts

Reactions: bonesaw00001
I have the Smoke Composites buffer tube and grip but have a Coda Evolution carbon hand grip. I really like the overall design and the fact it's six sided instead of round like the smoke and it's very compact. Just has a good feel and is extremely well made and solid. The mounting system has a proprietary barrel nut and then a trunion which fits over it and locates the hand guard in free float format. Cool setup. It's a bit less expensive than some other options but not cheap.

I do have to admit I like the chopped carbon look of the Smoke stuff though. It just looks bad ass.

Smoke grip and buffer tube

I don't have a good photo of the Coda on the gun in its current state but I'll rectify that in the a.m.

Reactions: DustBun and MSTN
Lancer examples:

IMG_9034.jpeg
IMG_9036.jpeg
IMG_9059.jpeg
IMG_9060.jpg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

Since we doing photos.
20200925_015626.jpg

20200925_015420.jpg

300BLK just for subs.
I do have a photo in the AR15 picture thread of this rifle with the 17" handgaurd with the Sandman Ti. But this is the current setup. 10" Smoke Composites. I would get a Smoke Composites pistol grip if it had a beaver tail.

Edit-Actually have one with an aminal.
20191122_150003.jpg

That is the 17" Faxon handgaurd.

Have you looked at PRI?

Certainly a go to in carbon fiber handguards.

They're just as heavy, if not heavier, than most aluminum and for sure heavier than KAC URX4 aluminum.

The triangular tube is pretty slick though:

IMG_1063.JPG

Smoke Composites are great, light and strong. The cutouts provide plenty of grip. I like that you can get them in any length.

I think I need to do some more research or something. I had a CODA given to me, and it won't torque down to the barrel nut. So it just slides all around, so time to try something else!

Langford, what is the stock attachment on the rear of your Smoke stock?
The flat foot for bag riding
Brand..model?

Edit...XLR Smoke bag rider...

How does it ride the rear bag?
I’ve got (2) Smoke stocks on my Xanthos’

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Eunozs
There’s some weird shit going on in that photo(shop).

With as light as The aluminum handguards are out there I’d be hard pressed to buy anything composite.

Helped a buddy get a rifle down to 4 lbs using composite components and just a burris red dot. That's nearly impossible with aluminum without hacking it up. He has a smoke stock, can't remember who's handguard though, polymer reciever for weight and other various lightweight components.

My AR10 is ~9lbs with a 20” barrel, Scope, and Silencer. 2aArmament Xanthos receiver set. All aluminum, Ti, and Carbon on that build

Langford, what is the stock attachment on the rear of your Smoke stock?
The flat foot for bag riding
Brand..model?

Edit...XLR Smoke bag rider...

How does it ride the rear bag?
I’ve got (2) Smoke stocks on my Xanthos’

Yep, XLR bag rider, it works excellent.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Smoke stock was how it performed on a bag. This cured that 100%.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I think I need to do some more research or something. I had a CODA given to me, and it won't torque down to the barrel nut. So it just slides all around, so time to try something else!

You can get a new trunnion directly from CODA for like $58 or thereabouts. I like the CODA as it's six sided and has more options to mount accessories to your liking. As much as I like the Smoke's chopped carbon pattern, the CODA seems more realistically functional.

You can get a new trunnion directly from CODA for like $58 or thereabouts. I like the CODA as it's six sided and has more options to mount accessories to your liking. As much as I like the Smoke's chopped carbon pattern, the CODA seems more realistically functional.

I may have to look into that, a buddy gave it to me and after I installed and torqued the screws down I could spin it with 2 fingertips. I hadn't contacted them to see if i had messed up the installation somehow or what. But I ended up also being gifted a Geissele MK14 rail without a barrel nut. I need more weight on this one since its mainly going to be a competition gun. But if the CODA will actually tighten down, ill put it on my 223

I may have to look into that, a buddy gave it to me and after I installed and torqued the screws down I could spin it with 2 fingertips. I hadn't contacted them to see if i had messed up the installation somehow or what. But I ended up also being gifted a Geissele MK14 rail without a barrel nut. I need more weight on this one since its mainly going to be a competition gun. But if the CODA will actually tighten down, ill put it on my 223

There should be three main pieces (plus the various screws) for the CODA. Obviously the barrel itself plus the barrel nut and then the trunnion which fits over the barrel nut. I'm assuming you have all three pieces? The trunnion, which indexes the hand guard, won't work on another barrel nut. It's a very precise fitment too so if it's simply rotating on the barrel nut, something is definitely not right!

I have a few of the Faxons, one on my work gun that gets knocked around on the side of our MRAP & has been punched through a few windows. No damage over the last 4 years or so and the Mlok slots make mounting a 45° RMR super simple.

It's also the only way I've found to make running a can inside the forend a viable option as it doesn't heat up nearly as much as an aluminum forend.

Unfortunately, they've been out of stock for quite a while, so I don't know if Faxon is going to be changing them like they did with their aluminum forends, or straight discontinuing them.

Ive had the Faxon, Coda, and used the Lancer.
My favorite is the Coda. It has, imo, the strongest installation method. It has sharper lines than the Faxon and Lancer which appeals to me aesthetically, and is slightly cheaper too. I dont know why I ever sold mine, im actually buying another right now lol.

Cant speak for Smoke, never saw one. But they look cool, and if funds allow, i'll be picking up their Maxamundi/Brekke customs collaboration handgaurd and muzzle brake combos for my PCC. I hope an AR15 version comes out too tbh! Love the look.

I just purchased a Smoke as they had a 25% off sale and I received mine yesterday. Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised as it feels as solid as the Coda (which I also own). In terms of the mounting, we shall see. I'm waiting on a form 1 and don't have a barrel in my possession to test it out. I do think the Coda, overall, is probably a better mounting system and being octagonal, has more places to mount accessories if that's your thing.

I was afraid the Smoke, being round, wouldn't feel all that solid but it does. It honestly feels like it's whittled out of some high strength aluminum matrix. It almost has a ring to it and I could, most likely, stand on the Smoke and not damage it. Picatinny rail is solid as well and lines up with my V7 upper rail. And I have to say, I like the chopped carbon look the Smoke has better than a carbon weave. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Smoke was the perfect length for the latest build and fits around my suppressor (as does the Coda).

Anyone have anymore opinions on the smoke composites? I’m looking at one for my hunting rifle but I’m curious if it’s going to flex shooting off a tripod. I’d assume no, but figured I’d ask anyway

Anyone have anymore opinions on the smoke composites? I’m looking at one for my hunting rifle but I’m curious if it’s going to flex shooting off a tripod. I’d assume no, but figured I’d ask anyway

No issues so far...

ADCCF1C3-067D-49BD-A759-D589EBA361D8.jpeg

A little over 10lbs, using a hog saddle m-lok tripod adapter straight on the smoke rail.

No issues so far...

A little over 10lbs, using a hog saddle m-lok tripod adapter straight on the smoke rail.
awesome, thank you. My rifle is close to the same weight. That looks good with the proof barrel

If you are looking at CF for weight savings I might suggest taking a look at the Midwest Ind Ultralight. 15 inch is only 8.9 ounces including barrel nut and hardware.

02AD614A-A1B7-4EC6-991F-AEEA30FD272E.jpeg

The Lancer octagon is pretty nice. The barrel nut extension setup is a little unique. Time will tell. I don’t necessarily like the idea of having to heat red thread locker and go through that whole process when changing out barrels.

Has Lancer discontinued their large frame LCH7 16.25” handguards? Have looked for months for them and show either out of stock or discontinued, depending on supplier, including Lancer direct.

Have a Faxon 17" that I'm putting up for sale this weekend. No complaints, fits the hand perfect and looks slick. Just going to something shorter.
Another company is Smoke Composites.

Edit to add, that is why I'm selling the Faxon, is I went with the 10" Smoke as I have one of their buttstocks.
I’m assuming you sold the Handguard ? 😅

Lots of ways to do light weight. But you still have be able to use it for the environment that your putting it in. The one on left is very light weight. And use two different optics.
IMG_20230512_140230972_HDR~2.jpg

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I love the look & feel of the PRI Delta forearm on my Mock12 SPR, but it's not especially light by today's standards. But must importantly, it handles great, the carbon fiber does a great job of keeping the forearm manageable in extreme temperatures - such as hunting in the mountains or desert, or shooting long strings of fire in direct sunlight when it's 100° or more.
Y7tmHMo.jpeg

My Aero M5 has a Smoke Composites rail because my heavy barrel was bleeding too much heat into the Atlas R-One rail. I really liked the Atlas rail more than I expected, but it just wasn't a great fit for this build.

Atlas:
fbyvq1J.jpeg

I love the look & feel of the Smoke, and there is no more heat soak from the barrel to the handguard at all.
Smoke:
cl0dzI2.jpeg

Last edited:
Another vote for Smoke Composites for me…have a few builds with their stuff:

3.14# no tax stamp ultra light build in 5.56; brigand arms hand guard, but a long pull Smoke Composites buttstock:
i-6wpXRhD-4K.jpg

…and its fatty ‘twin’ at Almost 5# that does have a smoke hand guard, as well as their hand grip:

i-JgGg65f-X5.jpg

Another slightly lighter build at 4#, 9 oz with 2A arms furniture and receiver set, but another Smoke butt stock (short pull but closed on this one):

i-8HvBhZd.jpg

…and my AR-10 with a similar build…only bigger and fatter, LoL:

i-VW3DkvS.jpg

i-C6GDf3m.jpg

Reactions: Chevoke