• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Favorite cartridge for competition?

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I'm beginning to see some trends, but I though I'd like to see the numbers of how popular some cartridges are.

I'm getting away from .308 with a 175 SMK and moving to .260 and 130 gr. VLD

What's everyone else shooting?

Re: Favorite cartridge for competition?

6.5 Creedmoor shooting the 140 amax. .243 is a very close second.

20 Feb. 2012: I thought about making a poll but I figured there would be so many more than I could fit into it. I guess that'll fall into the "something else" category.

Thanks!

26 Feb. 2012: For those that selected "something else" and told us what the something else is, here are the numbers as of 1807 hrs today.

6.5 Creedmore.....................4 ct.
7 WSM.............................1 ct.
.243..............................2 ct.
6.5 x 47..........................1 ct.
7 Rem Mag.........................1 ct.
300 Win Mag.......................2 ct.
6 mm Competition Match............1 ct.
240 Weatherby.....................1 ct.
6 XC..............................3 ct.
300 Win. Short Mag................1 ct.

I'm in the process of piecing together a 6.5 Creed to shoot the 140 amax's. Should be done real soon, I cannot wait.

My favorite is the 7WSM, been shooting it with the 180gr berger hybrids at 2975fps and now trying out the 162amax at 3050fps. So far so good.... when I remember to dial dope on the rifle
wink.gif

My 7/300 is killer but I just built a 260 to do most of my shooting with and save the 7 for matches like Asc or high wind situations

Normally a 7mm08 and 162s.

High wind and loooong range 7mmRM or 7WSM with 168VLDs.

i shoot a 243 ai 8 twist 105 gr bullet and the 260 smokes me past 800 yrds on a windy day 260 barrel is on the way

6.5 CM with 140 Amax or 140 BTHP's

Though Mark Gordon's 7mm CM is tempting me after I cook the two 6.5mm blanks I still have waiting on the shelf.

Considering that a lot of matches are "lost brass" matches, and considering barrel life, a straight 260 running 130's or 140's is a hard combo to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skivy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot a 243 ai 8 twist 105 gr bullet and the 260 smokes me past 800 yrds on a windy day 260 barrel is on the way </div></div>

A 6mm 115 DTAC @ 3100 fps will shoot inside a 6.5mm 139 grn Scenar @ 2900 fps all day long, all the way to 1500 yds. The 6.5 trend is strong these days on the tactical comp circuit, but I think you will see more and more guys moving to the the heavy 6mm's over the next few years. I shoot a 6XC, it drives nails and will shoot inside any of the smaller cased 6.5's, with the only exception being the 6.5-284. Just my 2 cents...

just getting a .260 in heavy use, like it so far, surgeon action, jewell trigger, AI bottom metal and mags, march X 5-50 scope hart over the course wt. spiral fluted barrel, muzzle brake and berger 140 vld on 4831 sc at 2770 fps. now I've got to do my part. Took a 3rd last month and shot terrible. Good luck

The .260 is tough to beat if you load it long to take advantage of its greater powder capacity over the Creed and 6.5x47.

But the .308 has always been hard to beat inside of 600 yards.

And with the powder and bullets available now, the .308 is competitive at most distances at which most normal comps are shot (inside of 1000).

Run the numbers on a 155 Scenar at 2900, or on my load - a .580BC bullet at 2720 - and then tell me that there's a compelling reason to go to a 6.5 unless you consistently place in the top ten.

I've shot with Graham in Kingsville multiple times, he's not running a 155, and that BC is spot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes down to Indian vs. Arrow that's a dead issue IMO. I've seen guys who couldn't hit jack with a long barreled 7WSM and all the latest and greatest do-dads because they didn't know how to shoot or their rifle while guys running short 308's beat the pants off them because they actually shot a lot more.

</div></div>

+1. Don't worry about your cartridge, unless you are doing something like benchrest or F-class. In the tactical world, the Indian not the Arrow rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .260 is tough to beat if you load it long to take advantage of its greater powder capacity over the Creed and 6.5x47.</div></div>
You can't be loading the 260 longer than magazine length so I am not sure what the "loading it long" is talking about. I do agree that the 260 is an outstanding choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the .308 has always been hard to beat inside of 600 yards.</div></div>
You have that backwards, it is rare for somebody shooting a .308 to finish in the top 10% of any of the larger matches. In truth it is an uphill battle for a .308 shooter to finish near the top because there are so many stages he will be giving up points.
Beyond 600 yards the .308 will give up points because flatter shooting higher BC bullets will have an advantage.
For speed drills lighter recoiling rounds will make it easier to do the stage.
The 260 has an advantage over the .308 in both of those areas, lower recoil and higher BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run the numbers on a 155 Scenar at 2900, or on my load - a .580BC bullet at 2720 - and then tell me that there's a compelling reason to go to a 6.5 unless you consistently place in the top ten. </div></div>
You forget that other factors are involved to be competitive in a match environment.
Recoil is one that comes to mind right off.
Accuracy at various yardages is another.
Ease of reloading to the necessary accuracy level -or- availibility of super accurate commercially loaded ammo.
Cost per round (component cost, barrel life, etc.) is super important when you shoot thousands of rounds a year but doesn't really matter if you only shoot a few hundred per year.

Break down the other factors and see where the .308 falls into the mix.

There is a reason the same guys consistently finish near the top.
Usable is not what they are looking for.
The absolute best tool to get the job done is what they look for.

If you want "usable" by all means go with a .308.
If you want the best tool for the job you better be looking at other calibers.

At the moment my cartridge of choice is the 260 shooting 130 Norma's at 2800 fps.
I do see advantages to a 6mm shooting high BC bullets and might try one in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot with Graham in Kingsville multiple times, he's not running a 155, and that BC is spot on. </div></div>

Whoops, misread that, thanks for the point out.

My favorite is 300 Win mag (why mess around?), with suppressed 260 as my second choice. My 300 is way more accurate than the 260, and they are almost equal in size and weight. I still don't have the load right, but hoping to change that soon. I am going to try the lapua 260 brass now that my RP brass is pooping out the primers.

I'll shoot either one most times, depending on which I have components to load for.

--Fargo007

300 win mag. No brake, no can, shoot it like a man. Works for me.

My vote was on something else, which is a 6CM. 6MM Competition Match. Joe Hendricks designed it to shoot XC. I've used it for everything from LR BR to Tac. Great barrel life and accuracy with a 115 DTAC at 3150 -3250 fps. Loading with H-1000, the parent case is .243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Run the numbers on a 155 Scenar at 2900, or on my load - a .580BC bullet at 2720 - and then tell me that there's a compelling reason to go to a 6.5 unless you consistently place in the top ten. </div></div>

I did. At something like $45 for 100 of them, I think I found the compelling reason ;-)

--Fargo007

It doesn't matter what I shoot .... I still dance with the squaws sometimes !!

243 with DTAC's for me however barrel life is an issue

I have got about everything from 375 chey tac to a 223 but my favorite would be my HTR chambered in 240 wby kicks a 115 dtac out at 3285. Building a 7-300 wby AI with a 31 inch barrel i think it will be the new fave on windy days with the berger 175xld

looks like the something else category is running a close second to .260... I'm guessing the something else category is likely some variant of a 6mm cartridge. I'm running a 6xc now.

I have been leaning the other way -- toward 7mm, with the 284 Winchester and 180gr Berger.

Better in the wind than 260 Remington, but still doesn't beat you up, especially with a suppressor or brake.

I'll admit I'm starting to eye the 6mm / 115 DTAC though...

It would also be important to define what sort of tactical competition is expected.
Some matches are 90% beyond 500 yards and/or UKD while others are mostly inside 500 yards with lots of speed drills and dot drills and run -n- gun stuff.
The two ends of the spectrum would probably want different equipment to do well.

In the area I live we have both types.

Longer range slow fire at tiny targets in Western Oklahoma fighting the wind and mirage while trying to hit targets that are less than 2 MOA in size and often funny shaped to make them even more difficult. The worst I remember was one target that was listed on the hand out as being 6" x 12". When I found the target in my scope it was positioned so that it was 12" tall x 6" wide and ended up being about 650 yards away. Less than 1 moa wide.

Tiger Valley near Waco has lots of movement with a higher round count and very little past 500 yards. They will usually have the last stage of the match on the known distance range and can go out past 1000 yards if TJ gets a wild hair so you still have to have a reasonable capability to get to 1100 reliably. Past 1000 can get real iffy for lots of .308 combinations, particularly if you like to shoot factory ammo and run a shorter barreled rifle.

Harder recoiling rounds such as a 300 Win. Mag. will beat the crap out of your shoulder in a higher round count match. Additionally, a long action can present problems because the shooter has to raise his head off the stock to run the bolt, which is a bad deal. Even with the longer range unknown distance matches you want to be able to keep your head in the proper position and not have to move your face to the side for bolt clearance. For that reason I would advise sticking with a short action and rounds that can be magazine loaded. I have seen several people using short magnums with short actions but loading the round too long to feed in the magazine to get higher velocity, effectively giving them a single shot. Not a good idea.
Another thing that is REAL bad is loading to a length that crushes the bullet in the lands like some of the target crowd do. If for some reason you load a round and then have to eject the round you can end up with a loose bullet in the barrel and powder all inside your action. Seen that happen plenty of times at F Class matches.

I'm going to try out a 7.62x54R rifle in a competition next month, assuming I get her back from the smith in time to get some load testing done. I have a 300 WinMag, but some competitions don't allow magnums.

Jim

I just chrono'd my first rounds of 115s in 6xc and I easily got over 3000fps with any load over 39g RL17. Zero pressure signs on twice fired Win and Norma brass. I stopped at 3150 because I think the next node is @ 3200+ and most comps don't let you shoot that fast anyway. My MV was confirmed by plugging the info into shooter on my droid and I got hits at 500 and 850.

I'm really looking forward to getting comfortable behind this cartridge.

For most Tac style comps I shoot my 300 WSM. It is shooting the Southwest Ammo 190's at 2900 and I get between 7.8 and 8.2 Mils to 1000 depending on DA. I might have McCort Munitions try to get my 208 A-Max load dialed in around 2850 if that is possible then I think that would be a great load for bucking the wind at distance.
For short range comps 600 and in I shoot a 308 with 168 smk's. For me I think any gun you have confidence in you will shoot better. I know the 308 out to 600 if I do Range-E right will hit every time. And therefore I shoot it to its full potential.
Just my .02
Adam

I've been shooting .308 with Sierra 2275s for the past 15 years, and with a top feeder to boot! But I've finally seen the light and am now transitioning to 6.5 Creedmoor with DBM...

I've gone 260. When my 140 amaxes are gone, I'm going to gun 130 bergers.

.308 works fine for me. Mil type comps, its the way to go. I'm excited to see what we can do at the Bushnell Brawl. Last comp, our .308 18" OBR placed in top 3. The .260, 6.5 guys did not.

Have fun running a gunning, stalking and urban shooting with a 24" + barrel. lol

Standard M118LR, even A136 173gr shot well. The 168 Federal did ok, but doesn't hold to well after 600m.

I haven't rolled any loads yet, but will in the future.

Yeah I'm gonna sign up for your march comp. I might shoot my 16" Legion Firearms with MK 262. We did some train up last week and we were pushing M855 to 650 meters on 12" Larue targets with ease.

Would like to see what I can do with MK 262 and a 16".

Sounds good. You are most welcome anytime.

262 Is perfectly fine, but M855 (or any AP/penetrator core) can't be shot at the club's steel. We will be making flagrant use of it all.

--Fargo007

Been away for a few days. I kind of expected it; looking a the poll it looks like the 260 is the overall favorite by a good margin.

Currently the 6.5mm is popular. I predict the tides will turn, however, and the 7s will rule.

Me, I couldn't help but set up a 284.

It's all personal preference. .260, 6.5x47, 6.5 creed, .243, 6xc.... Are all competitive with the right driver. Obviously there are other calibers that are competitive but that is my short list.

If the barrel was in stock, I'd build a 6mmBR AR15.

I went with a Savage 20" .308 for a bolt gun since I would use for it comps and deer, might end up going with a .260 barrel since they are easy to swap. Hell, I might change my mind again...

FWIW, the last comp I was at, a .223 AR won. Ranges were 0-600ish yards IIRC. If you are accurate and feel good with your current setup, keep running it.

I built a straight 223, and it sends pointed bergers at 2900. I have to say, inside of 800, it matches my 260....outside of 800 it gets a bit more squirrely in the wind....but still better than my 308 with 155's. If more matches would allow a .223 minimum, I do believe I'd run it exclusively.

The upside is that I am dealing with virtually no recoil, reloading costs are minimal, have a long barrel life, and it stacks bullets really well. The downside is that impacts are tough to spot at long distance....but not anymore difficult than a 6mm, and if you are cutting paper (dot drills, paper kyl)it's nicer to have a big .30 cal hole vs .22 cal.

To say that I have been impressed with my fast twist 223 would be an understatement.