• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

Yes. There was a time when there was a mix between Colt C-More, Aimpoint, Comp M2, and Eotech. Around 2011, most were EoTech and the others were largely phased out. That varied from Division to Division.

Reactions: j-huskey
Yes. There was a time when there was a mix between Colt C-More, Aimpoint, Comp M2, and Eotech. Around 2011, most were EoTech and the others were largely phased out. That varied from Division to Division.
Awesome, Thanks Again!

I can only speak of the 40’s S&W that were issued at the time.

Roller issues, frame, stop pins. Those are what I recall stopped some of the guns.

Now they were well used before I got there, but the existing staff was unfortunately wary of them. So many 9mm guns that ran forever, the 40 just beat them up.

I have no first hand knowledge, but didn’t the Bureau pull the 10mm ones from the field over similar issues?
An interesting thought might be that while being the 'same system' the rollers might only have been hardened to 9mm standards? Because the 'same system' is also used in the HK91/R3. Size, strength, hardness all matter when you add more power. People don't believe how much energy is expended in .40 cal and 10mm.

Last edited:
An interesting thought might be that while being the 'same system' the rollers might only have been hardened to 9mm standards? Because the 'same system' is also used in the HK91/R3. Size, strength, hardness all matter when you add more power. People don't believe how much energy is expended in .40 cal and 10mm.
The true 10mm packs a lot of punch. The Duty (and Practice Loads) 10mm was under powered by what many people consider the 10mm performance benchmark. It did suppress great. The KAC suppressors that were issued to Snipers really tamed the MP5 10mm.

The true 10mm packs a lot of punch. The Duty (and Practice Loads) 10mm was under powered by what many people consider the 10mm performance benchmark. It did suppress great. The KAC suppressors that were issued to Snipers really tamed the MP5 10mm.
I've shot 'true' 10mm. It's a potent round.

So circling back to sniper rifles, any idea what contour Hart barrel was used on the M700 variant? Skunk, what contour would you think was on the rifle with the dedicated NV Scope?

So circling back to sniper rifles, any idea what contour Hart barrel was used on the M700 variant? Skunk, what contour would you think was on the rifle with the dedicated NV Scope?

Ahh, Hell. I was going to post pics of my FBI Remington model 81

It was the HRT rifles that had the Hart bbls. I've been told they were #7 contours, just like a M40A1 but have never personally handled one.

The rifle with the night scope was a field SWAT rifle and had the Douglas #6, just like the rifle I recently built up from take-off parts.

It was the HRT rifles that had the Hart bbls. I've been told they were #7 contours, just like a M40A1 but have never personally handled one.

The rifle with the night scope was a field SWAT rifle and had the Douglas #6, just like the rifle I recently built up from take-off parts.
Right on, did the HRT rifles ever have the A2(?) stock or were those field SWAT rifles?

Ahh, Hell. I was going to post pics of my FBI Remington model 81
Lol, feel Free, this thread has become a pretty good reference for FBI long guns in general. I still want to start a thread for HRT and SWAT handguns but haven’t got around to it.

Right on, did the HRT rifles ever have the A2(?) stock or were those field SWAT rifles?

Really couldn't answer that question confidently without asking one of the boys. However, HRT seems to have/try a greater range of things than the SWAT side of the house, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they had some A2's or later stocks.

I don’t know exact contour but they measured @ .900 at muzzle.

It has been years since I’ve held one. That’s what was in my notes.

Reactions: Skunk

Screenshot_20201221-072041_Chrome.jpg

Was a Douglas #7.
Or MTU Contour, same as the m40a1. Back then.

Reactions: Skunk
I like the old "motor bandit" era law enforcement weapons and have a nice .30 Remington model 81 and an equally nice 1907 Winchester .351 rifle. Both of these rifles were popular with law enforcement back in the day.

Even so, I've always wanted an actual FBI Remington model 81. Last year I won a Remington model 81 at an online auction and believe it is a former FBI rifle.

bbbsHkV.jpg

5bdskfG.jpg

0N7AFuY.jpg

l95TfO7.jpg

qEMpc9x.jpg

The biggest tip off is that the FBI ordered their rifles with the Lyman 41 rear peep sight. Because that sight covered the serial number when installed, the FBI had Remington move the manufacturer and serial number lettering on the receiver over to where it is stacked under the model information.

Here is the left side of the receiver on my "civilian" model 81...

xJGLbkP.jpg

And here is the left side of an FBI model 81

9QbAbD5.jpg

And this is the left side of my new Model 81

D0xC6sF.jpg

It has the manufacturer and serial number "stacked" under the model information, which I understand is unique to the model 81's made for the FBI. It also has the Lyman 41 sight, is chambered in .30 Remington and has the "notches" cut in the barrel shroud, where Remington brazed the barrel shroud to the barrel shroud head at the FBI's request.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=867

I like the old "motor bandit" era law enforcement weapons and have a nice .30 Remington model 81 and an equally nice 1907 Winchester .351 rifle. Both of these rifles were popular with law enforcement back in the day.

Even so, I've always wanted an actual FBI Remington model 81. Last year I won a Remington model 81 at an online auction and believe it is a former FBI rifle.

bbbsHkV.jpg

5bdskfG.jpg

0N7AFuY.jpg

l95TfO7.jpg

qEMpc9x.jpg

The biggest tip off is that the FBI ordered their rifles with the Lyman 41 rear peep sight. Because that sight covered the serial number when installed, the FBI had Remington move the manufacturer and serial number lettering on the receiver over to where it is stacked under the model information.

xJGLbkP.jpg

9QbAbD5.jpg

D0xC6sF.jpg

It has the manufacturer and serial number "stacked" under the model information, which I understand is unique to the model 81's made for the FBI. It also has the Lyman 41 sight, is chambered in .30 Remington and has the "notches" cut in the barrel shroud, where Remington brazed the barrel shroud to the barrel shroud head at the FBI's request.

Those long mag FBI guns are cool....

bbbsHkV.jpg

5bdskfG.jpg

0N7AFuY.jpg

l95TfO7.jpg

qEMpc9x.jpg

xJGLbkP.jpg

9QbAbD5.jpg

D0xC6sF.jpg

very cool

Skunk, that action just happened to be clip slotted, none of the duty guns were correct?

Yes, the 6.5Creed I showed used to be built as a M40A1. When the barrel was finally done for, I rebuilt it as a 6.5 "for my wife" and dropped it in the FBI A3 stock. So, that's why you see the clip-slot.

However, for the purposes of this thread it is important to differentiate which FBI rifles we're talking about when clip-slots are mentioned. A FBI SWAT Remington 700 would NOT exhibit a clip-slot, as far as I know. But, a FBI HRT Remington from the same period presumably would be clip-slotted to allow for fitment of the Unertl mount and scope. Additionally, I have personally seen a box of torn down 40X receivers in the Tactical Section gunsmiths' cage, all of which were clip-slotted...

To reiterate, as for FBI sniper rifles, there are differences between SWAT rifles and HRT rifles.

The 40x repeaters were factory clip slotted, were they used as sniper rifles also? I would be curious about the HRT 700 receivers, were they fully clip slotted, (40x cuts and thumb cut on receiver ring) or were they just lug slotted for the mount?
The stock you put the creed in, did HRT ever use them or was that SWAT? Thanks Again!

Last edited:
The 40x repeaters were factory clip slotted, were they used as sniper rifles also? I would be curious about the HRT 700 receivers, were they fully clip slotted, (40x cuts and thumb cut on receiver ring) or were they just lug slotted for the mount?
The stock you put the creed in, did HRT ever use them or was that SWAT? Thanks Again!

Your questions are exceeding the extent of my knowledge on the subject, but I'm assuming the 40X's were sniper rifles. No FBI Rifle Team....

As for the HRT 700's, my assumption there would be that the receivers were cut right down the street at Wpns Trng Bn where RTE/PWS was/is. So, I would expect the clip-slotting to be identical to that done on M40A1's of the time.

That box of receivers I saw was probably the size of a shoe box or a little bigger. I specifically remember taking note of the fact the receivers were clip-slotted. The one I picked up was a 40X. There were probably 700's mixed in...

Not exactly sure what stocks HRT ever used. The stock I have came from the FBI Boston SWAT team.

Your questions are exceeding the extent of my knowledge on the subject, but I'm assuming the 40X's were sniper rifles. No FBI Rifle Team....

As for the HRT 700's, my assumption there would be that the receivers were cut right down the street at Wpns Trng Bn where RTE/PWS was/is. So, I would expect the clip-slotting to be identical to that done on M40A1's of the time.

That box of receivers I saw was probably the size of a shoe box or a little bigger. I specifically remember taking note of the fact the receivers were clip-slotted. The one I picked up was a 40X. There were probably 700's mixed in...

Not exactly sure what stocks HRT ever used. The stock I have came from the FBI Boston SWAT team.
Right on, who knows maybe they tried a batch of 40x tacticals or were going to build a rifle based on the 40x and never did. I spoke to a buddy that remembers 40x receivers being transferred from the FBI to RTE /PWS. I’d also think that with how much Corps influence there was on the rifle, and if they did the work at RTE/PWS that they’d do the full clip slot, but the research is 20% the fun, I’ll see what I can find, lol!
The Boston SWAT stock is bad ass! When those stocks would have been fielded would the optic have been a leupold 30mm 3.5-10 with M1 knobs. Or something else. Also what mount, sorry for the questions, just want to make sure when the time comes I get it built right. Lol there’s a cost difference between lug and full clip slotting!

When this stock of mine was fielded, the scope would've been the Vari-X 3.5-10 Tactical, 1" tube, like the one on the Remington I put together. The Mark4 3.5-10x with 30mm tube and M1 knobs didn't show up until the HS Precision rifle came about. As far as I know, as this all pre-dates me.

Refer back to those pics I posted re: mount/rings. Standard twist-in type Leopold or Redfield stuff is what you'll need.

I think if you're gonna build a rifle and have it slotted (lug slot or full chili), you're gonna be looking for a Unertl scope and the Unertl mount. That's a $2K mount these days...

When this stock of mine was fielded, the scope would've been the Vari-X 3.5-10 Tactical, 1" tube, like the one on the Remington I put together. The Mark4 3.5-10x with 30mm tube and M1 knobs didn't show up until the HS Precision rifle came about. As far as I know, as this all pre-dates me.

Refer back to those pics I posted re: mount/rings. Standard twist-in type Leopold or Redfield stuff is what you'll need.

I think if you're gonna build a rifle and have it slotted (lug slot or full chili), you're gonna be looking for a Unertl scope and the Unertl mount. That's a $2K mount these days...
Good luck finding an original Unertl Base😞

Last edited:
I called Hart about the FBI barrels they supplied and they simply refer to them as the Sniper Contour. I also saw an interesting 700 take off barrel, it appears to be a Douglas 7. Just shows they went back to their 2112 days, get what’s available to get the rifle back out in the field!

Reactions: bildoe308
Did the HS guns have BDL type bottom metal or removable mags?

Anyone have any info on the Winchester Model 70's and Remington 700 configurations that the FBI built for their snipers? I have the Vanderpool book and was looking for more info or pics. I'm also interested in the FN guns.
Thanks!
At 1 time fbi was using 7mm mag in there sniper rifles hope that helps

Unicorn!

1612645124471.png

I wrote to the OP over on M40rifle.com. Hopefully, he'll post some more pics/info relating to the rifle.

From the pics posted, it looks like an early HRT rifle being that it has the Unertl 10X and mount. If correct, it should have a stainless Hart barrel measuring about .9" at the muzzle.

Also, in the interest of correctness, it's not a M40A1. The FBI never called the rifle that and, except for the scope mount, the rifle really doesn't have any parts commonality with a M40A1. The scope is different, the stock, trigger, bottom metal, and the cut in the receiver for the scope mount is different. Possibly even the manufacturer, material, length and contour of the barrel is different.

I'll look-up the serial number on Tues to see if it was ever owned by the FBI.

I wrote to the OP over on M40rifle.com. Hopefully, he'll post some more pics/info relating to the rifle.

From the pics posted, it looks like an early HRT rifle being that it has the Unertl 10X and mount. If correct, it should have a stainless Hart barrel measuring about .9" at the muzzle.

Also, in the interest of correctness, it's not a M40A1. The FBI never called the rifle that and, except for the scope mount, the rifle really doesn't have any parts commonality with a M40A1. The scope is different, the stock, trigger, bottom metal, and the cut in the receiver for the scope mount is different. Possibly even the manufacturer, material, length and contour of the barrel is different.

I'll look-up the serial number on Tues to see if it was ever owned by the FBI.
Any luck?

I put this on M40rifle.com:

I ran the serial number. It was not in any of the asset management systems or firearms qualification tracking. This means the rifle is/was a personally owned weapon SA Christian had built while he was in Quantico and had the right contacts. Like guns I've had built up there, if you source the right parts you can have a gun built just like the one you carry/use/deploy with, whatever.

Long story short, it's a clone. And, there's nothing wrong with that at all. It looks really well done and probably shoots great and comes with some provenance, too.