• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal 205mar primer not seating? Too big?

needham

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2020
I was loading up some load development rounds and ran into an issue with fed 205mar primers.
Up to 15% to 25% are getting destroyed while trying to get them to go in.

I ran this brass through a dillon 1050 to swage it.
When my dillon 550 would not seat the primer I bought a "swage it" for the 550 since I do not have the 1050 anymore.

Even using a rcbs hand tool they are often hard to seat.
Here is the kicker..... rem 7.5 primers seated pretty as you please????
Are fed205mar known to be slightly bigger?
I would highly prefer the 205mar work as I have many more of them than the rem7.5

What say you?

Last edited:
NeedHam : the Federal 205M have a thicker cup, the diameter for the Federal is .1744, the cup height is .1075
while the Remington 7.5 cup is.025, cup diameter is .1752, cup height is .110

These are examples of what happens with the 205mar

Attachments

• 20201017_154221.jpg
    20201017_154221.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201017_154239.jpg
    20201017_154239.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 19
NeedHam : the Federal 205M have a thicker cup, the diameter for the Federal is .1744, the cup height is .1075
while the Remington 7.5 cup is.025, cup diameter is .1752, cup height is .110

Am I reading that right?
Because it seems like the 205 mar would go in easier?

Needham- just out of curiosity, what is lot # for GM205MAR?

I’ve seen this when primer pocket and priming tool don’t line up. Primer starts crooked, cup catches edge of pocket and crumples giving you a FUBAR’ed primer.
Could be pocket isn’t concentric in case, could be misalignment between shellholder and primer carrier,
I learned if I ease into seating primer I could feel the problem cases and realign so primer would seat w/o damage but definitely slowed production rate.

Reactions: needham
Try a regular deburring tool on the edge of the primer pockets. Sometimes a slight chamfer removes the sharp edge of the old crimp. Usually the ticket on brass with crimped primer pockets.

Seems more than plausible, thank you!

Now how to keep it from happening?

I measured both the 205mar and the rem7.5, both seem to measure .175, maybe the federal is a half to a full thousandth bigger.

Just to be clear, the federals were also doing this on my dillion 550.
With hand priming the federal would do it but the Remington would not.

Try a regular deburring tool on the edge of the primer pockets. Sometimes a slight chamfer removes the sharp edge of the old crimp. Usually the ticket on brass with crimped primer pockets.

Yes unless figured out here, my next step is buying a lyman brass processor for the crimp removal attachment since it bevels it some.
All I shoot is lake city.
Bit after running this through a 1050 and a swage it tool, I have to believe the issue is with the primers not brass

If you feel primer going in with more force, stop, rotate case 180 or thereabouts and finish seating. Works majority of time but you really have to be paying attention.
Slight bevel does help.

I’ve had some issues with a different lot # of GM205MAR, same brass w/other primers are non issue. Something w/primer but haven’t found exact reason.

Reactions: needham
If you feel primer going in with more force, stop, rotate case 180 or thereabouts and finish seating.

Yes indeed, I have done that many times and it works.

Not that my feel is super refined, I have done that on tight primer pockets in the past so I know what you are talking about.

However, with this issue it doesn't seem to help much, as before I feel the issue the primer is so wildly crooked or "rolled up" on the edge there is no saving it. Pretty much have to clamp down and force it to even get the case back out.

I appreciate you advice and will definitely be feeling for it more intently

Yes unless figured out here, my next step is buying a lyman brass processor for the crimp removal attachment since it bevels it some.
All I shoot is lake city.
Bit after running this through a 1050 and a swage it tool, I have to believe the issue is with the primers not brass
It’s quick and worth a try.