• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Female pilot had huge balls, did she have the brains though.

Was she smart or was she crazy. Other pilots diverted. I am amazed, as a passenger I would have shit, although I have lived through one like that before.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...edible-sideways-landing/ar-BBOBvhE?li=BBnbklE

I was sitting in the back row window seat on a big Airbus one day coming in to land at Charlotte,NC. We were about 30 feet off the runway when all of a sudden, I found myself looking straight down the runway. The pilot powered up, apologized, and went around for another try.

Reactions: Bender
I was sitting in the back row window seat on a big Airbus one day coming in to land at Charlotte,NC. We were about 30 feet off the runway when all of a sudden, I found myself looking straight down the runway. The pilot powered up, apologized, and went around for another try.

As a frequent flyer out of Charlotte Douglas.... it is easier to fly out but harder to fly into... I mean it's bad enough trying to find CLT at close range, much less from 34,000 Feet...

Crabbing a bit on landing in a crosswind is not as hard or dramatic as it looks.
"A bit" he says. As a customer and not a pilot I just have to say I am impressed.
Flew into Lansing Michigan 25 years ago on a small turbo prop plane and i am absolutely sure i had a better view of the entire airport than the pilot. I am here today so all is good.
1 of only about 5 times in my life i thought "you might not see tomorrow".

I agree, just another day at the office. Also I agree needing more right rudder before touchdown.

Well, I do have to add that the sport of "drifting" is getting REALLY popular nowadays. I guess these pilots just wanna be part of the "cool kids crowd".

Had a landing very similar to that yesterday at O’Hare in Chicago. I assume it’s the norm there, but scared the shit out of most people on the plane.

A little rudder and some asymmetric thrust... no biggie... why all of the drama?
It looks dramatic. But so does a 1000 yard shot if your not "in the know".
I was trying to give props to some impressive skill. The question I have is "if it just another ho-hum day at the office, why did some give up and divert to another airport"?
Was/is her plane more capable? One that diverted was a turbo prop, that is a smaller plane and I assume less powerful but hell I don't know.

Another day at the office...but it looks like the PF should have kicked in a fair bit more right rudder once the RA announced "Ten".

Looks like a 757. I believe the limits are higher than the 737(we can do 35kts). I have HEARD the 737 is certified to land with no side slip in the 35kts, but I wouldnt ever WANT to. My companies book says "no side slip landings above 15kts are not recommended". The limit is supposedly when you run out of control authority. Old airplane I flew was 30 kt limited. I landed with the controls at the locks in a true 30kt steady state cross wind once... To me, if they landed in a crab its either, as you stated, poor pilot technique, or landing outside of limits, which is poor pilot judgement.

A little rudder and some asymmetric thrust... no biggie... why all of the drama?

Asymmetric thrust, on purpose, is a BIG no no when flying swept wing jets...especially in that circumstance. Good way to force an airplane over the limits and stall a wing at 30 feet and kill everybody. Ive NEVER seen nor heard of that being taught anywhere. Last airplane I flew you couldnt even use asymmetric thrust while taxiing.

The question I have is "if it just another ho-hum day at the office, why did some give up and divert to another airport"?
Was/is her plane more capable? One that diverted was a turbo prop, that is a smaller plane and I assume less powerful but hell I don't know.

Aircraft performance is part of it, yes. As rjacobs stated above, different aircraft have different crosswind limitations. The other half is pilot ability. While an aircraft may have a certain limitation on performance for a crosswind landing, your own personal limitation may be lower, and that's perfectly fine. In fact, that's great! I'd rather a pilot know their own limits and follow them than try to force their limits to match those of the aircraft.

When I was learning, we flew in a 25kt wind once. I was terrified, haha. Hover turns were a huge challenge, and I was all over the place. My instructor handled things much better. Because of experience, his ability to fly in high winds was much better than mine, and as such his personal limitation was also much higher. At that time, a 5kt wind was a doable challenge, and a 10kt wind was out of the question. Now, I could handle a 20kt wind or so, with my truly comfortable level being about 15kts. As I continue to build hours, that'll go up.

And of course, when I have the hours to get into a larger ship, those limits will increase as well. A dinky little 1370lb R22 gets pushed around quite easily. An H125 at 5225lbs is quite a different story.

I came into Love Field one day (passenger), experienced a similar landing. Had a long layover so I sat their for a couple of hours watching about every model of the 737 making these no problem. They look a lot worse than they are. The cross wind that day was gusting over 35 mph. Not one did a turn around. Just one of those days I'll never forget. Love the 737. I only suspect poor pilot judgment when there is a mishap. She nailed it and everybody got what they paid for, which was their destination. But I have a different outlook having flown a lot of hours in the O-2 with young AF pilots. I was young myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Watch a B-52 land. That’s slipping
Yeah but they have castering gear like the C5. They self align with a localizer and straighten out on roll out. Same with c17. Aircraft with large anhedral type wings can’t cheat in a crosswind like other planes.

Reactions: Basher
Watch a B-52 land. That’s slipping

Neat thing about the B-52 is that the main gear is designed to swivel, allowing for touchdown without being completely aligned with the runway.

ETA: Beat by mere seconds!

Commercial or private? Dutch Harbor use to have the record for shortest runway for a 747. Not sure if it still does. They quit flying them in there last time I was up there.

Commercial or private? Dutch Harbor use to have the record for shortest runway for a 747. Not sure if it still does. They quit flying them in there last time I was up there.

4500 feet(and there are older charts showing it as short as 3100ft)... Horse shit... 747 aint never been in there.

Also there is no taxi way and the runway, at 100ft wide, is not wide enough to turn around on.

Min runway for a 747 is ~6k feet. I flew them at my last job and that was our BARE minimum for a -400, but I NEVER saw a runway that short. 6000 would be SKETCHY. MAYBE empty. I would doubt the runway up there is even stressed for an empty 747, let alone one with gas on it.

When a 747 landed in Wichita at Jabara, its a 6100ft runway, and it had to leave empty and was supposedly pretty sketchy.

SHIT 4500ft is sporty in the 737...

I’ll see your Anchorage and raise you Dutch Harbor.
I flew into Dutch sitting in a jumpseat on a C-130 when the winds were out of the NE, rather than fly over the volcano and dive the pilot flew in over the harbor and stood that pig on its wingtip to do a 180 and hit the runway. Holy shit what a ride!

4500 feet(and there are older charts showing it as short as 3100ft)... Horse shit... 747 aint never been in there.

Also there is no taxi way and the runway, at 100ft wide, is not wide enough to turn around on.

Min runway for a 747 is ~6k feet. I flew them at my last job and that was our BARE minimum for a -400, but I NEVER saw a runway that short. 6000 would be SKETCHY. MAYBE empty. I would doubt the runway up there is even stressed for an empty 747, let alone one with gas on it.

When a 747 landed in Wichita at Jabara, its a 6100ft runway, and it had to leave empty and was supposedly pretty sketchy.

SHIT 4500ft is sporty in the 737...

I’ll have to ask around. Have some family as pilots up there still. I might be mistaken and it was a 737 though. I had flown in there more time to count.

I’ll have to ask around. Have some family as pilots up there still. I might be mistaken and it was a 737 though. I had flown in there more time to count.

737 operates in there today as far as I know.

But I stand with my statement that there aint never been a 747 in Dutch Harbor...

We had a dumb assed pilot land a C-17 at the Peter O knight airport on Davis Island here in Tampa. In broad daylight.

Everyone freaked out .
He missed Macdill AFB by a couple of miles.
And of course the runways are numbered differently...
Macdill has 13k for runway. Peter O Knight has 3583'

Here's the wrong runway.

Screenshot_20181022-131752_Maps.jpg

After a lot of hand wringing they unloaded everything and got it prepared for minimum takeoff weight and lit it out of there for the two minute flight to Macdill.

It appears it was done without JATO.

Here's the correct runway.

Screenshot_20181022-131811_Maps.jpg

Word has it they used a crusty old pilot to do the takeoff. I will say, he used every bit of that tarmac.

Here's the view of both.

Screenshot_20181022-131706_Maps.jpg

The landing video.

The takeoff video.

We had a dumb assed pilot land a C-17 at the Peter O knight airport on Davis Island here in Tampa. In broad daylight.

Everyone freaked out .

Here's the wrong runway.

View attachment 6959597

After a lot of hand wringing they unloaded everything and got it prepared for minimum takeoff weight and lit it out of there for the two minute flight to Macdill.

View attachment 6959598

Word has it they used a crusty old pilot to do the takeoff. I will say, he used every bit of that tarmac.

Here's the view of both.

View attachment 6959599

The landing video.

The takeoff video.

That C17 pilot that got that thing back to base would have been a natural for the Doolittle Raid.

When I was hanging out with the C17 guys in Jackson back in 04/05 trying to get a guard slot I thought they told me the airplane was designed to operate in and out of 3500' runways.

Everyone freaked out .

Here's the wrong runway.

View attachment 6959597

View attachment 6959598

Here's the view of both.

View attachment 6959599

The landing video.

The takeoff video.

"Not from around here are ya...."

You might be referring to king salmon, there has never been a 747 in Dutch...... ever that I know of, hell they have to back the 737s up to the waters edge for takeoff...

You might be referring to king salmon, there has never been a 747 in Dutch...... ever that I know of, hell they have to back the 737s up to the waters edge for takeoff...

I’m thinking your right. It was a roller coaster several times going in and out. Especially the first flight out after being weathered in for a few weeks.

Neither. The word you're looking for is skilled.

A superb display of airmanship.
I can accept that. I really did not mean to imply she was not skilled. I think we all do stuff in our jobs that the average person not in that field looks at and thinks WTF.
I would say that between the "normal day" posts i have actually learned a few things. Never hurts to learn.