• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hair? Any interest?

Re: FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hair? Any interest?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.............................WGM, I understand what you are saying about the hinge pivot, and you are right. The SFP reticle needs to be at the center of the hinge pivot to keep it from appering to move.
John III </div></div>
From Johns post on about page 3 of this thread.

Latest Dual Plane Reticle images here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...8475#Post388475

Opinions sought....

Does anyone think the full power reticle obscures the field of view too much?
Can you live with the enlarged tick marks at full power considering they help maintain low power function of the 5 and 10 MOA/IPHY marks?

Still waiting-Has John given any input or timeline yet? barry

There is a rumor.........
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Re: FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hai

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would anyone besides me be interested in a USO variable power scope with an FFP ranging reticle that allows you to have a fixed cross-hair/aiming point? By this, I mean that the aiming point does not shrink or grow with a change in power setting.

I have been discussing this idea with JBW# 3, our resident USO guru, and he has not "yet" been discouraged by the idea.
laugh.gif

JBW# 3;
Thanks for working with me through the discussion that has so far been only in PM's.
I appreciate the time you have spent with your future customer. You are a good guy.

If anyone thinks this idea has more validity than a flying-Pig, please make it known.
My only interest is in purchasing a USO scope, one, that will meet my wants.
If anyone else can gain from this, even better.

Thanks.

I think this is a revolutionary idea that will lead a change in all FFP scopes.

Re: FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hai

Because this is a rather old thread, and maintaining a database of "every" thread that was ever posted is beyond anyone's expectations, I have saved a copy of it.

Not saying it's going away, just trying to be practical about it, just in case.

My interest in this concept is as strong as ever.

I have been pondering the viability of FFP reticles in the latest generation of high zoom-factor scopes.....scopes like the new March and Bushnell 6500 offerings that have power factors reaching or nearing 10:1.

These scopes are bringing much greater reticle challenges over that of even the 5:1 power factor scopes most of us have been using up to this point.

Something has got to give; don't you think?

I have not yet drawn the milliradian counterpart to this design.
Need to get on that, but.....the dots are a feature many find very useful. Dots are not an easy thing to apply to this concept. They will be partially obscured by the crosshairs, proportional to the power setting.

Not that I care, as I personally hate dots, but they would work just as well as hashes with the dual plane idea. They would just ride along the lines and get bigger/farther apart or smaller/closer together. Assuming that the two reticles are aligned perfectly, they would stay centered on the lines.

I am really looking forward to this becoming a reality. Sounds to me like a perfect solution to the cons of both types of reticles.

The problem is that the dots would become more and more obscured by the rear-plane reticle cross-hairs as you dial down power.

At low power they would either go away altogether or become mostly eclipsed resulting in the spacing between two dots visible edges growing in angular size....yielding this an unuseable reference.

Dots work very well if you have been taught and practice how to break the dot down. You can then use it to measure to 1/10th of a mil if you have good eyes and little mirage.

However I realize the issues with the Dots on this kind of reticle and I would have no problem accepting a hash type reticle.

In all likelihood the dots or hashes will only be used for holds at low power and not for ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I see what you are saying. No big deal though, nobody likes dots any more anyway! </div></div>
I prefer hash marks as well, but there are certainly many who prefer the dots, as evidenced by the next post.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.................................
However I realize the issues with the Dots on this kind of reticle and I would have no problem accepting a hash type reticle.

In all likelihood the dots or hashes will only be used for holds at low power and not for ranging. </div></div>
I agree. If you have time to range, you have time to dial up the power a bit.

Did you ever figure out if this were technically feasible? It seems like it would serve the needs of a broad cross-section... probably even target shooters more than tactical as wind holds could be done better without losing precision.

So would this be DFP? Dual Focal Point?

Since it has not yet been produced I can only offer theory and the confidence of those brigher than I who believe this will work. I wish I had more.

I don't know the proper terminology, but Doc76251 and I have been using the term Dual-Focal-Plane in most of our discussions.
DFP works for me.

hey raf, in theory, how bright do u think ie wouls be with the extra piece of etched glass in there?

That's one of two negative points that were brought up.....
The increased possibility of failure from having another piece of glass(reticle) was the first.

Both are worthy of consideration if you ask me.

My thoughts are this:
While I don't really know for sure, I hear that the TPAL models have more lenses and more working parts than the ERGO models and I don't see anyone complaining about the TPAL being "darker" or suffering increased failure.

Until I got my SN-3 my best and brightest glass was in my Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44. My next scope was a Sightron S3 6-24x50.
The Sightron went back and I ordered my SN-3.
The Nikon was far brighter and clearer than the Sightron, but the SN-3 3.2-17x44 made the Nikon look inferior. This was a pleasant surprise.

I doubt I will notice the additional piece of glass.

man i wish us optics would get those scopes out quicker so that r&d would resume. i would love to see the outcome of this. if its possible.

I am anxious too, but then I am pleased that they are not rushing anything, including current production.
I am sure the scopes we are buying today had a shitload of R&D time in all of the little advances that brought them to this point: Reticles, EREK, TPAL, etc.

Latest Dual Plane Reticle images here:

LOL

I gotta ask you and s.i.t.
Did you really read the whole thread?
laugh.gif

It's a long one.

Not the whole thing yet RAF. But when I have the time I will

It's alot to digest, not required at all.
It gets pretty boring at times.

I am pleased that you are interested! Thanks, man.

anytime man. dude, my sn3 sees its first match tomorrow. but lord knows its true glory day wont be seen until the new barrel has been installed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wish I never saw this thread!
cry.gif
</div></div>

You think that's bad, imagine how would you feel if you saw the lens prototypes in line and working
crazy.gif

It ain't dead, but getting paid for scopes into customers hands is the most important thing. We're closing the gap between order and receipt. Once we get that down to a manageable level and can breath, other things can happen.

Contrary to my misguided initial observations this project is not just stacking a couple of lenses together and making one move correctly. The Devil is in the details and the Devil is laughing.

Cheers,

Doc

S.I.T.,

Hold hard and stay frosty. Nothing but "X".

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RAF,
We could do 1/3 clicks, just need tyo change the thread pitch. You're absolutely right that the detent ring is way expensive to change!
John III </div></div>

I was thinking on this today and I believe 1/3 IPHY may not actually require a new thread pitch.
Correct me if my thinking is wrong.

I was talking to a USO employee a while back and they mentioned that adjustment values can be "tuned" a bit by adjusting something in the erector assembly.

1/10 Mil adjustments are very close to 1/3 IPHY. Only off by about .03 IPHY.
If you installed the threaded portion of the turret from a 1/10 Mil assembly and if there is enough adjustment in the erector assembly.....it could be tuned to 1/3 IPHY without the need for a new component....other than the new engraving on the knobs.

Is my thinking correct?

For those who did not see SF340driver's suggestion earlier in this thread......1/3 IPHY would make for an even 30 IPHY per EREK revolution. This would make adjustments past the normal 22.5 IPHY of the 1/4 IPHY knob a bit more brain-less. This could also be applied to MOA adjustments.

Still on my mind also Raf-JOHN you out there listening? barry

Thanks, John.

I should be out your way from Dec 28 through Jan 4.
Will you be in town?

Great!
Will check in with you just before I get in the air... to make sure I am not disrupting anything.

Good deal!
laugh.gif

Melita's family arranged this trip; we are supposed to see the parade and the game on the 1st. The 30th sounds good if you don't get jammed up with work. It happens to me a lot....I will always understand that. We are staying at the Peacock Suites in Anaheim, just a few miles south of you.

Okay I never saw this thread before! I need to know, is this still a possibility?!?!? I would go ape-shit over one of these if I could get one!