• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hair? Any interest?

Re: FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hair? Any interest?

Bump ... Any new developments?

Could you put the crosshairs in the second focal plane and put the tic marks in the first focal plane?

It is done!! It works!! We did this with a 1-4X to prove that is possible, then to a higher 17X scope, this will be a new option soon!!!
Bob, I told you we would get it done eventually!!
John III

Re: FFP ranging reticle with static-size cross-hai

This is great news, John!
You guys rock!
I don't know how you found the time with the busy schedule USO keeps with all of it's projects.

Can't wait to see one in action.
I might need to sell some stuff to place an order!
laugh.gif

Sounds great John! Glad to see this come together! Please keep us updated! Thank You Barry
smile.gif

John-How about an 8-32 SN3 with this reticle to keep pace with target and F class shooting? I would upgrade from my SN3 4-22. tia Barry
smile.gif

I can't wait to see it! Great work guys!

Looks good, John.
Question: Is there any variation in reticle alignment when you shift viewing position....at different power settings?

Just curious. I am no engineer.

Really interesting thread! This actually would be the ideal reticle. I notice it every time I shoot, actually- I will only use FFP because a SFP reticle drives me nuts to shoot at anything other than max power.

BUT, I shoot with a guy with a Nightforce, and his thin NP-R2 reticle is so much EASIER for me to precisely aim my shot.

THIS would be the best of both worlds.

John;
Did you have these reticles purpose-made for the test or were they off-the-shelf reticles?
Do any of you at USO have a particular reticle design in mind?

Raf,
I was using a RFP circle dot that I had laying around from years ago, and then a DOE MKII in the FFP.

I have another coupld of reticles that I made just for this project, they are going intoo the 17X now. I will keep you posted.
John III

Great use of existing reticles. Very smart.
You had some made just for this? I need to be helping you pay for those since it was my hair-brained idea way back when.

Looking forward to seeing them, John. Thanks again for working on this.
Those pics demonstrate your success at mastering the reticle alignment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all,

Raf asked me what I thought about his idea, after a few hours of thinking about why it wouldn't work I finaly got my head outside the box and tried to figure a way that it would work.

This is what I came up with.

The first picture is what it would appear like at low power.
c3f5f1ce.jpg

The second picture is what it would look like at high power. Fixed the picture
laugh.gif

49c7449f.jpg

The cross hair would remain the same size while the stadia marks would get larger and smaller. IMHO very handy in low light situations where you dial down the power. On FFP scopes the cross hair dissapears, this one wouldn't. The trick will be in making the SFP reticle small enough so that it won't obscure a small target at highpower and yet not so big that it covers the stadia marks at low power.

It will be an interesting bit of engeneering for John. I'm thinking a lens sandwich in the erector assembly.

The numbers running down the upper verticle leg of the drawings are another neat idea Raf had. They would be engraved on the FFP lense and as you dialed on the power they would fade out. It would give a graphic representation of where you were at in the power range w/o looking at the power ring. Don't know how it would need to be engineered but I think that is a great idea.

I personal dislike all the clutter around the center of the cross hair. However I know the need for having them for doing holds and leads for movers. I put one line in at 5 MOA and another in at 7.5. I think that should be enough to get the job don and or provide reference to make a good hold.

What do you guys think?

Cheers :beer: </div></div>

Going back to the idea of "seeing" the power setting....if someone really wanted this, those font sizes should be stepped.

I mean that the "3.2" in the image above should be a much larger font than the "22", and they should all vary in size from large to small....this would help decrease clutter in the field of view when you dial down power and see more of the reference numbers. This way, the correct power reading would always be the same "apparent" size in the field of view...no matter the power setting. Of course, this is a fictional scope since there is no USO 3.2-22.

I don't know if anyone really cares to see what power setting they are on...maybes it's just a useless option....just thinking out loud. This things been occupying my thoughts for almost 5 years and with my small brain it it likely starved for oxygen.

The power settings on the top stadia is a neat idea but I don't really see the need. When on lower powers it just adds clutter really. I would be happy to field test prototypes for you John ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed; I do not see a need for this.
Just an idea I had. </div></div>

As I was reading this thread again and looking at the power settings Raf has on that vertical stadia ... I got to thinking, How about a tombstone style like the old Refield with a ranging mark of 18 inches or something like the "power lines" on the old redfield.

Some old tech, some new tech, fast silouette ranging, fine center reticle for precision work, ability to range with the mil relation, First Focal, Milestone EREK, Illum, This is about as close as you can come to the "do it all" ultimate scope.

Oh and I still volunteer to test prototypes ...

Got a link to a pic of that Redfield reticle?
I am not familiar with it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2355497

Its a FFP scope from the original USMC M40, as you dial up in power the "tombstone" adjusts. The two lines across the top were to range a mans torso ... adjust magnification to bracket the targets torso between the lines and the tombstone gives you the range. similar to the ranging reticles like the NP-1RR but with FFP you only need one reference "bracket". So put the range indicator where you have the powers listed on the vertical stadia and the ranging bracket in the lower left and lower right. Keeping the bottom center clear for holds. Say a 18 inch horizontal reference bracket on the right for ranging shoulder width and a 36 inch vertical ranging bracket on the left for ranging waist to top of head. No idea if its been done in a FFP optic but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If this is the do all FFP optic why no go all out. The 18 inch horizontal mark could be used for ranging the chest cavity on deer etc also.

Any update on this project - it is super interesting!

Thanks,

Dark

Hello guys. First post, and surprisingly short time lurker here. (Normally I stay quiet and read for a good while, but this thread got me too interested.)

I took some of the ideas from this thread, added some of my own, and came up with the following reticle. I apologize in advance for the crappy pic, but my 2D CAD software has no real decent image exporting function, it's quite basic, so I played around in Photoshop a little bit.

ibqSzGARGWXjQU.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">"The reticle evolved to Dual Focal Plane. The red crosshairs and chevron are in the second focal plane, and thus remain the same size. The mil hashes and the magnification level marks (black) are in the first focal plane, and thus change with adjusted magnification. This combines the advantages of both focal plane configurations for those parts of the reticle that can best use it, and allows for some cool new features.

The chevron is your main aiming point, and should thus be clearly visible at all magnification levels to be able to use it's sharp aiming tip.
The crosshairs on FFP scopes either get too thin on low magnification, or too thick on high magnification, sometimes even both. The second focal plane keeps these lines at exactly the right thickness at all times.

Of course ranging and holdovers should work at all magnifications, so these are located in the FFP. These too can have the problem of becoming too thin at lower magnifications, so that's why the 5 and 10 mil marks have thicker bars at the ends. They keep their thin line crossing the crosshairs, however, to still offer an accurate aiming point.

The reticle itself features 0.2mil dots between the chevron tip and the first mil mark. These are not visible in this image. From the first to the tenth mil, there are half-mil marks, and the 1 mil marks continue out to 40 mils.
The lines have thickness of 0.025 mils, which is little under an MOA. The thicker bars have a thickness of 0.1mil. The same goes for the thin and thick portions of the crosshairs, at max magnification. At that point, the chevron is also 0.025mils thick. At 4x these values would be 0.5 and 0.125 mils respectively.
The half-mil marks are 0.25 mils long, the single mil marks are 0.5mils, while the 5 and 10 mil marks are 2 and 3 mils long respectively."</span>

That is the text I wrote to accompany the picture. It speaks of an evolved reticle and that makes more sense when I tell you I made a few reticles just a day or so before reading this thread, because I already had a few ideas of my own.
More pictures and explanations of previous reticles and how I iterationally improved them HERE.

Please give me your thoughts.

I like what you've done. Looking at the reticles on your link, I like CS2 or CS4, especially if it can be made with a Dual Plane reticle.

Looking at the fullsize image more carefully, I would prefer the open space in the center to be 1 mil across, instead of the current 2 mils.

Well in that open space are supposed to be dots every 0.2mils, but without lines connecting them. They didn't render into that image for some reason, and I'll also upload and post a close-up of that as soon as I have the time.

Well, I finally got around to making a little closeup. It can also be viewed in the gallery of course.

jW5yki68SOBHN.png

Lost my online picture serving. Sorry about that.
If anyone needs the pics of the DFP reticles I did; just PM me your e-mail address; I will send them to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello guys. First post, and surprisingly short time lurker here. (Normally I stay quiet and read for a good while, but this thread got me too interested.)

I took some of the ideas from this thread, added some of my own, and came up with the following reticle. I apologize in advance for the crappy pic, but my 2D CAD software has no real decent image exporting function, it's quite basic, so I played around in Photoshop a little bit.

ibqSzGARGWXjQU.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">"The reticle evolved to Dual Focal Plane. The red crosshairs and chevron are in the second focal plane, and thus remain the same size. The mil hashes and the magnification level marks (black) are in the first focal plane, and thus change with adjusted magnification. This combines the advantages of both focal plane configurations for those parts of the reticle that can best use it, and allows for some cool new features.

The chevron is your main aiming point, and should thus be clearly visible at all magnification levels to be able to use it's sharp aiming tip.
The crosshairs on FFP scopes either get too thin on low magnification, or too thick on high magnification, sometimes even both. The second focal plane keeps these lines at exactly the right thickness at all times.

Of course ranging and holdovers should work at all magnifications, so these are located in the FFP. These too can have the problem of becoming too thin at lower magnifications, so that's why the 5 and 10 mil marks have thicker bars at the ends. They keep their thin line crossing the crosshairs, however, to still offer an accurate aiming point.

The reticle itself features 0.2mil dots between the chevron tip and the first mil mark. These are not visible in this image. From the first to the tenth mil, there are half-mil marks, and the 1 mil marks continue out to 40 mils.
The lines have thickness of 0.025 mils, which is little under an MOA. The thicker bars have a thickness of 0.1mil. The same goes for the thin and thick portions of the crosshairs, at max magnification. At that point, the chevron is also 0.025mils thick. At 4x these values would be 0.5 and 0.125 mils respectively.
The half-mil marks are 0.25 mils long, the single mil marks are 0.5mils, while the 5 and 10 mil marks are 2 and 3 mils long respectively."</span>

That is the text I wrote to accompany the picture. It speaks of an evolved reticle and that makes more sense when I tell you I made a few reticles just a day or so before reading this thread, because I already had a few ideas of my own.
More pictures and explanations of previous reticles and how I iterationally improved them HERE.

Please give me your thoughts. </div></div>

This concept is exactly what I think of when I envision my perfect long range scope (caveat, I'm new to long range shooting, so may be stupid).

Even without getting into the potential problems of a dual focus plane reticle, I don't understand why the reticle doesn't just get smaller as you get closer to the center?
Why not have the last .1 mil of the cross-hairs half as thick? or the last .3 half as thick, and the final .1 half of that? It's an obvious solution to an obvious problem. Is it just more expensive to do etching that fine?