• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FGM .223,69gr Serra Match King BTHP

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
Well I'm sure this is more of a ballistics questions, as opposed to a hunting question. So on to the question.
With a 20" Hvy contour barrel with a 1 in 8. What can I expect shooting this bullet weight? Now the rifle is being designed around a 300-600 "varmint" gun
(ie) coyote.Would a 22" make any "real" difference?
Can I obtain the same effect using say a 55gr? (same bullet style)

Now I won't be reloading, and I've had very good results with the FGM line in .308.I've be able to get myself a couple hundred rds of the .223 69gr
Cheers

Re: FGM .223,69gr Serra Match King BTHP

IMHO, I can't recommend the SMK for hunting anything, but to answer your question, the 69 gr. SMK bucks wind much better than the 55gr. I have shot them out to 500 and they perform well. However, I would probably go with the 77gr if it will shoot out of your 1/8 twist - you will have to try it out as it may take a 7.75 or 7 to stabilize.

You may get more of a response if you post this in the hunting thread.

Yea, thanks for the "heads up" I guess I wanted to address "barrel length" but I don't think I articulated that very well? I suppose that the 20" with the 1-8 twist will handle the 69gr. I've done some comparison on the Federal website with the 55gr bullet. I've drawn the conclusion that I'm not getting any advantage using the 69gr out of the 20" barrel with the 1-8 twist? Although you make a good point with respect to the wind issue. Thanks

Ahhhh, I get it now. My experience with these bullets is from gas guns (AR's) with 16", 18", & 20" barrels. A 20" barrel in a bolt gun will be just fine out to 600, be handier, and save you some weight. Things tend to get heavy when you have a .22 bore.

What is the advantage to the heavier bullet?
The #'s on the 55gr seem to be very close to the heavier bullets.
That said if the heavier bullet is more "wind resistant" then yes I see the advantage. Cheers

I have a 22" 224 barrel in an 8 twist and i shoot the 77gr sierra bullets quite well. I even shoot the 75gr A-Max bullets even better. Thats what i use for varminting in heavy wind. The 75gr A-Max has a BC over 400 and is a decent bullet as far as expansion goes. I have killed many many coyotes with sierra 52gr hpbt so i do not see any problems with the 68gr bullets as far as killing coyotes with them! I am thinking my next 22 barrel will be a 9 twist so i can still shoot the 75gr A-Max and some 55 or 60 grain v-max. I will have to run them fast though because of the 9 twist. It will have to be a 22-250AI or a 22BR. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the advantage to the heavier bullet?
The #'s on the 55gr seem to be very close to the heavier bullets.
That said if the heavier bullet is more "wind resistant" then yes I see the advantage. Cheers </div></div>

Heavier bullets will buck the win better and offer a bit more knock down power at longer ranges! For example 53gr bullet offers 700 or so at 300 yards where a 75gr offers 900 or so at 300 yards!

However, a lighter bullet comes out of the barrel at a fast rate or speed vs the heavier bullet, so in theory the lighter bullet has less time to be affected by wind since its moving faster! but the heavier bullet has less chance also...because well... its just heavier hah!