• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finnish mosin rebarrel. Anyone doing it for 308 bullet?

Deej

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
I got a fin that has a .313 bore. Was wondering if anyone was offering a new barrel for these already contoured. Threading and chambering can get done. 308 bore would be wonderful so have a vast selection of bullets.
These is pretty serious as my son's stock Russian smokes it.

Lots of the Finn made barrels are .308. Cheaper to find another rifle then buy a barrel. Or cast your own pills.

Lots of the Finn made barrels are .308. Cheaper to find another rifle then buy a barrel. Or cast your own pills.
Agree. Also, there is probably a reason that your son's rifle is shooting better than yours, other than the .313 bore. I would seriously explore all the possibilities of why this could be, before dumping a bunch of money/time into a new barrel/rifle, only to find that it still does the same thing. Contrary to popular belief, just being a Finn rifle doesn't automatically make it more accurate than a stock Russian 91/30. I certainly understand the draw to .308 for availability of projectiles. But, I own/have owned many rifles, both Finn and Russian with bores that were .313 or much larger that still shot the lights out with .310, .311 and .312 bullets.

ETA: In short, I think people make the bore diameter of these rifles out to be a much bigger issue than it actually is.

Last edited:
Got a Finn that shoots the 150gr 308's just fine. If you are reloading for it don't forget to swap in a 308 expander into your 54R die.

Not understanding the premise of your question...
You say "threading and chambering can get done", so it sounds like you're just looking for a match-grade .308 blank.
If you've got the lathe (or access to it), why can't the blank be contoured as you see fit?

.308 is the way to go for any re-barrel where the 7.62 x 54R chambering is to be done. As mentioned, the only modification is to use the .308 expander- and voila- you now have access to the plethora of .30 cal match bullets; as compared to the single .311 bullet (174 SMK) that's available.