• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First bedding job - bye-bye accustock: pic + ???

bodywerks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Tucson,Arizona
After finding that any fussing with the Accuwedge on a Savage accustock would cause crappy, inconsistent groups, I decided to ditch the wedge in favor of tried n trued bedding. My first attempt but here's the result:
bedding1.jpg

All I did to the recoil lug is wax the shit out of it - I didn't tape it like I see in other posts. What's the purpose of the tape? relief for accuracy concerns, or is it just to facilitate easier removal from the bedding compound once it's cured? Mine's a snug fit. Will this be a problem?

Re: First bedding job - bye-bye accustock: pic + ???

The tape on the front and sides gives clearance around the lug so dust from the lug sliding in and out and scraping the bedding doesn't bind and cause stress.

Factory lugs are never flat, some custom ones aren’t either.

Taping the lug does a few things, if the factory lug is not flat it could create a mechanical lock and make it a pain to remove the barreled action.

Taping the lug just makes it a lot easier to remove the barreled action from the stock without rocking the barreled action and possibly causing damage to the bedding.

Taping the bottom of the lug will keep it from touching the bedding after bedding and the tape is removed. If not under some circumstanced when you torque the action back into the stock the recoil lug will hit on the bottom and can cause stress.

Myself I tape all lugs on the front, sides, and bottom.

There are others but these are just a few. Best thing is shoot it and see what happens.

Thanks. I went ahead and relieved the front, bottom, and sides of the recoil lug just to make me feel better. Hope to shoot it tomorrow.

I have gathered that there are a number of reasons to tape the lug. The front facilitates easier removal, the sides prevent scraping of the bedding, and the bottom keeps the lug from contacting the bottom, which can cause it to "bounce" during recoil, which can cause inconstistencies. I had that problem with mine.

Don't know if it was a fluke, but the bedding definitely didn't hurt my accuracy!
best308group.jpg

That's 5 rounds of 175smk's over 43.9g of vargay - same load I always shoot. I measure it at about a 5/16" group, shot in a 15mph tailwind heading at about 15 degrees. It was a pretty consistent wind, and I was definitely in a zen-like state when I shot this group, and it is my best group out of this rifle to date.
The coffee and excitement started kicking in after that group and they started opening up, but stayed sub-MOA, which is all I should expect out of a novice with a factory rifle...

Good shooting! What stock did you go with?

This is the standard accustock that came with the fcp-k. I just ditched the accuwedge and bedded it. I have a sharpshooter LVT on order though, and a choate custom tactical that I will do a bedding job on as well.

Pretty good group, must have done something right.