• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Build - Any On The Shelf actions in PA, NY, VT, NH?

Nbleak21

NOMAD!
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2020
CT / TN
Quick background for inquiry:

I’ll be spending the majority of winter in the NorthEast and I’m gathering components for my first bolt build (many AR builds under my belt). Currently, All of my bolt action rifles are factory rifles, so I’ve never had the pleasure (pain?) of having a custom action… and this new 8.6 BLK round has my name written all over it (Love me some 300BLK!)

So, I’ve started accumulating parts:
- Used Chassis from a Hide member
- Faxon 16” 8.6BLK RemAge barrel (16 TPI)
- Dead Air Primal (in ATF Jail since May… hopefully it will be out by spring at this point!)

Needed:
- R700 custom action, 16TPI, 20MOA rail.
- Trigger - I want a robust trigger, not hair. This will be for plinking and hunting within 100yd in sand, rain, mud, snow, etc.
- anything else I’m missing?

Ideally I’d put hands on these actions to see if the difference is worth the added expense vs just buying an on-the-shelf rifle and tearing it down for the action.

Are there any places in PA, NY, VT, NH who might have options on the shelf?
I ask these states specially as I’m a TN resident and from my research these states will allow an action purchase for a TN resident and are all within a couple hrs or weekend trip’s drive of my location.

Thanks!

If you want a shitty trigger to shoot a not great cartridge not very far then just get the cheapest 700 in the right bolt face that you can and dont sink money into something good.

But the mac bros and tenacity are the two rem700 thread patterns I know off of the top of my head

@spife7980, Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into these!

For clarity: Fully understood that a $750-$1500 action may not make sense for 8.6 BLK for many. For me, if I drop the extra $250-$1000 for a custom action it will be for the learning experience and having something that can be rebuilt into something more “worthy” down the road if I end up getting bit by the custom BA bug.

looks like your 8.6 uses standard bolt face dia with a short action. Many companies have actions on the shelf, call, order, have sent to local gun store for transfer and pick up. gas is expensive these days to drive a few hours. altus shooting solutions usually has a large inventory but plenty of other vendors here on the hide too. need more recommendations let me know. the defiance actions are a fine choice. impact, lone peak, also top choices. check out northland shooters supply for other options as well. they usually have criterion barrels for a good price. bugholes also has a prefit barrel with their version of the bugnut.