• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Kryptek attempt....jury is still out

jasonfaz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Erie, Colorado
Just attempted my first Kryptek cerakote job on the little 8.2" 300 BLK. I'm positive that I fucked it up by not coating the darkest shade first, but rather the FDE followed by patriot brown and OD green. I'm contemplating completely reblasting it and starting over. What say you?
1A4469E7-342B-49FD-8562-CBFB747577CB.jpg

3C2AC056-2C07-40BA-8469-B032EC1EDC1A.jpg

It looks good to me. It also protects the metal (any Cerakote) and disrupts the outline of the weapon (your pattern) so who cares if it's not an absolute perfect match to some flavor of Kryptek.

Appreciate the feedback fellas. It just didn't come out like I had envisioned it would. Then again, it never really does. I'll take it, but note that softening the lines on a Kryptek job definitely works out better with the darkest shade first and the lighter hues softening the lines to a point where it doesn't seem like you have solid patches of color in areas. Still blends decent though. Again, thanks for the comments...

This is probably more "real life color" with respect to how it looks in person. The Surefire mag makes it look a little better. That woodland pattern is WAY easier to print!
95507DA5-CDE9-4826-8417-D411EFE8A5A0.jpg

I think that it looks great. One more vote for leave it but if you're not content then do er' up.

Re-blast it. Its going to eat away at you and you wont be satisfied until you do it again. I think it looks bad ass as well but you can obviously do this again and do it well. This time make it better.

I think it looks really good! I'd leave it. Which stencil did you use? From Cerakote or Duracoat? Or..? I'm thinking about trying Kryp next, working on multicam now.

Got the stencils from Shawn Dixon at kickbackcoatings.com. His contact info is; phone - 801-888-0515, email - [email protected]. His vinyl stencils are good to 250 degrees and peel off easy after taking the heat. He's gtg.

Leave it - it's a gun not a piece of living room furniture. The point of painting the gun is to conceal it. If it works in your AO then mission accomplished

When ever we do a project, we have a picture in our mind of how it will look when we are done. If it doesn't look like that, we feel like we've f'd it up, and we have to do something to fix it. The gun doesn't look like you thought it would, but it looks pretty BA, I like it. I wish I could do that to mine.

In my opinion, it looks pretty good. Some of the patterns might "pop" more if they had a darker base layer, but I wouldn't redo it. Is this a pattern you purchase and lay over the rifle? I just saw a rifle that was hydrodipped in a kryptek pattern by a local company and it looked sick!!

Congrats on the job.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I think it's growing on me, which is good as this shit is tedious work.

I think Kryptek is so difficult to do with Cerakote because of the number of colors being used plus the intricate pattern. I've seen and held some of the hydro-dipped stuff and the texture and longevity of it just seems too much like spray paint. While Cerakote finishes awesome, I've found using multiple colors - especially when one of those is an overlay to soften lines - it becomes difficult to manage the thickness of the coating. I blasted with 80 grit AO at 120psi to get deep enough cuts for multiple colors. That ended up being a great call as the texture is identical to a typical type III HA....but I had to take them down to the white.

I used this magazine as a basis of how Kryptek is supposed to turn out, but I wanted something with more greens and browns rather than the really light tans. I also thought the lines on some of it were to hard/sharp. So at the end of the day, I think I'm good.

Maybe it'll help if I stop pounding whiskey during the process. ;-)

The whiskey is key to the creative process. That's what I tell myself anyhow. I swear I'd keep it as is. If its that bad, I'll take it off your hands. Haha

The whiskey is key to the creative process. That's what I tell myself anyhow. I swear I'd keep it as is. If its that bad, I'll take it off your hands. Haha

Brilliant!

From now on I will be referring to this pattern as my 'Templeton Rye' pattern...

Sign me up for one. I got a new Sig 556 that needs some lovin from a paint gun. Any attempt I make at camo is amateur at best. I used to hate kryptek but I think it's growing on me. Multicam is still may favorite camo though.

Personally, the more subtle pattern you achieved looks better than what Kryptek is "supposed" to look like. I like the rattle can style jobs best, and the decrease in the amount of outlining looks really good to me.

I just wanted to poke my head in here and say I think it looks good, and I admire your gigantic swinging bwoalls for spraying your Elcan Spectre.

I know it dude. It was so scary I had to close my eyes when I did it. That was also an idea that I came up with after the second bottle of whiskey. Glad it turned out ok. :)

It does not matter at all what others think of it, it only matters how you feel it came out and if you think its good then that's all there is to it....IMO

What buttstock is that ?

It's a chopped up NEA PDW stock. Had to cut the right side down so that it'd fully collapse just short of the right side bolt catch, replace the shitty tension pins in the rear, swap out the spring and release button to adjust LOP, and mill three additional notches into the locking bars to get four positions of stock adjustment rather than just one...... It was a major pain in the ass. But you guys are making me feel a lot better about it fo' sho'...

....and surprisingly, the total length of this 300 BLK is a little more than 3/4" shorter than my 12" 308 upper by itself. Kinda made me laugh just looking at this:

Very nice! I really like what you did with the butt stock. How stable is it in the extended position?

Extremely stable, but no cheek weld. As in ZERO. I kinda prefer the LWRC UCIW set up over this from a comfort standpoint, but the NEA looks cooler. For whatever that's worth...