• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First ladder test. Looking for suggestions.

dpsthomas

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
Greenville, SC
Hi all, I shot this ladder test at 300 yds from the prone off of a bipod and rear bag. I'm looking for suggestions on best starting place for further load development. I think the most consistency is around 42.4 and 44.0 grains, but I think that 42.4 may not be getting the most out of the .308 cartridge and 44.0 may be a little hard on the brass and throat in the long run. I don't yet have a chronograph so I'm having to make an educated guess about velocity. Would you recommend either of these? What do you guys think?

Load info
Lapua Brass 2.05 full resize
FGMM 210 primers
175 SMK Seated 2.220 measured from ogive
R-15 41.0-44.8 grains

(The line across the top of the target is a "level line". Sorry the picture is a little tilted.)
MpjySKW.jpg

Rifle specs
Trued Remington 700 short action
Manners T4A
Remington trigger 2.5#
22" Bartlein barrel 1:11.25 twist, .308
AAC MK13-SD
Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 FFP M5 mildot reticle

Wow that's a ton of holes for a ladder test. When I do a ladder test I load one round starting at my start load and steps in .5gr up to my max. I pick the range that has the least virtacle spread. I could care less right now about horizontal spread. I then work 3 shot groups from that and settle in on a load, Quick and easy. All a ladder test is telling you is which charges stay closest togather vertically. I shoot mine at 500 yards and look for virtacle spreads in the range of an inch. But that depends on what the gun can do. But looking at your Swiss cheese target me personally would play in the range of 42-43gr. Also remember it don't matter how fast the bullet is going if you miss the target.

Haha I suppose you're right. I did get a little over zealous with my increments. For some reason I thought there would be more vertical dispersion. So maybe more increments would mean more refined data. I think 500 or 600 yards would do me better.

Load up 42.5 and 44.1 and shoot them for groups. 42.5 should get you around 2580 and 44.1 about 2660. My nodes were exactly the same and 42.5 shot best. 44.1 was hard on brass.