• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hrgriffin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2022
Texas
I went to the range on Saturday to do some testing with StaBALL Match with my 24” Savage .308 Win. This range trip I was only looking at velocity by powder charge weight.

I decided not to measure group size on this trip given I use a MagnetoSpeed chronograph which hangs on my barrel.

My components were as follows:
175 SMK
Alpha SRP brass
CCI 450
StaBALL Match Powder

My results were as follows:
42.4 gr - 2570 fps
42.8 gr - 2594 fps
43.2 gr - 2615 fps
43.6 gr - 2636 fps
44 gr - 2674 fps
44.4 gr - 2694 fps
44.8 gr - 2727 fps
45.2 gr - 2738 fps
45.6 gr - 2747 fps

Interesting how Hodgdon advertises that a max charge weight of 46.0 gr will yield a velocity of 2677 fps (with a 24” barrel), and as you can see I achieved that with only 44 gr. I am sure everyone will realize I did not test the minimum or maximum charge weight, to which I will admit were simply mistakes on my part. I plan on testing both charge weights in the future.

I plotted your data and also the Hodgdon Data. The slopes are pretty well matched. The offset is noticeable.

1684771625657.png

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
Given I am using Alpha Munitions SRP brass, which can hide pressure signs a little better than LRP brass, I still did not see noticeable pressure signs.

I will also note I am using an RCBS Chargemaster Lite which isn’t terribly accurate, but my 45.6 gr charge group had an SD of 7.08 and and an ES of 16.

No worries yet, but you are right to check everything since your results are roughly 2 grains off schedule (or another way to say it is more than 100 fps high) and that is about where I start wondering myself.
Your barrel length was 24" and so was the one they show on their data, so proceed with caution.
If you are using the CM Lite, it is wise to drop the check weight on during your routine till you get used to seeing what this charge weight should look like in the case neck.
I would just keep a sharp eye on everything since StaBall Match is still pretty new and not as well mapped out yet. Good Luck and in for the range report.