• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First Ladder test

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
So here is my first try at a Ladder test and I think it worked out well.
untitledoi-2.jpg

The target was at 300 yards and the 44.5 and 45 are too hot to shoot the bolt gets hard to lift. To me it seems like between 43.5 to 44.0 is the node. So what should I do next?

Re: First Ladder test

At 100, you should be doing OCW instead of ladder. There's just not enough spread at 100 to distinguish signal from noise.

First off you need to test a wider powder charge range I am not familar with a lot of powders for the .308 that have only a 2 gr spread from max to min load you should be starting at the MIN load and working up to the max then a few over max usually. Also you should probably push this out to 500 yards if you can to see a better spread from shot to shot.

I did go over max by 1.5 grains but my gun will not work at or near max book max was 45.7 and my max is 44.5 and I dont want the slower speed so why waste time and money shooting the lower charges and with a charge of 44.0 grains of varget Im getting about 2655 fps The book start was 41.0 grains so I started 2.0 grains above that.

This is one way I was told how to do and it makes total sence to me so I tried it and It seems like it works to me.