• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First look of 4 22LR guns and conversion-kits. Rimfire Fun in the Desert!!!

EricCartmann

Hobbyist among Operators
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Mom's Basement
The day was .22LR Rimfire day! I had 4 new Rimfire weapons to test. My Chief Tester was a 10 year old (a Buddies kids). This kid has shooting skills! But who does not? Any idiot can look down range and pull a trigger. I had to remind this kid that shooting does not take any real skill :sifone:

These are the 4 weapons
1) Colt 22LR made by Walther, imported by Umarex, but labled "Colt" all over.
2) Home Built AR-15 with CMMG 22LR conversion kit.
3) Sig P229 .40 cal with a Factory Sig P229 22LR Conversion Kit
4) Glock 22 .40 cal with a TSG .22LR conversion kit.
IMG_2098-vi.jpg

Chief performing function test on an AR15 with CMMG conversion Kit
IMG_2104-vi.jpg

This .22LR CMMG conversion kit ran flawless. 3 mag dumps and not a single jam with Federal Value Pack .22 ammo (FVP). This particular kit also uses the CMMG anti-jamming charging handle made by CMMG. Basically it is just a charging handle with no groove in it. A normal AR15 charging handle has a groove for the gas key, and this groove area is what causes a lot of spent casings to jam.

This particular Rifle is set up with a 1:9 Twist CL Barrel from MAParts, Lower is New Frontier Armory Forged with DSA lower parts kit, and DSA Buffer Tube Kit, Surefire rails, Aimpoint ML2 in AD mount, and Mapul CTR buttstock to finish her off. It's nice having an AR that can shoot both .223 and .22LR, with the only thing that needs to be swapped out is BCG (bolt), magazine, and charging handle. Best part is we did not have to change zero for the .22LR (shooting at 25 yards). We were able to hit every time when aiming dead center on our 11x17" target.
IMG_2132-vi.jpg

Next up is the Factory Sig P229 .22LR Conversion on a Sig P229.
This thing worked great right out of the box! Not much to say here, it ate up every FVP round (3 mags total) right out of the box. It's nice shooting a .22LR that feels like a real Sig P229.
IMG_2130-vi.jpg

Now for testing the Umarex-Colt. Here is Cheif testing the Colt
IMG_2126-vi.jpg

Before I continue, want to take a picture of our target. It is a Salut Product Reactive Target. Comes with a 11x17 AR500 plate, a Stand, a base, and the plate holder that goes on the base. If you shoot steel close, you better have it angled correctly and target better be reactive or you will get shrapnel to the face. I had this thing for about 3 years now, it has seen about 20 thousand rounds, and still going strong. Only thing that broke on this was the plate holder due to repeated shrapnel blast over and over eventually eroding the metal enough to break. I made my own holder and that one broke too within 2 range seesion. called Salut to order a new one and dude sent me one for free! So now this thing is almost as new again.

Here is our target at night. Target is crystal clear when looking through high quality glass such as an ACOG.
IMG_2105-vi.jpg

Target when it was brand new. As you can see, it's angled and reactive.
reactive2-vi.jpg

The Umarex Colt was everyone's favorite Gun that day, probably because it is a great offhand shooter and it has lightweight .22LR Tac-65 Silencer that is Hollywood quiet, and on top of that it has a crystal clear ACOG TA31F on it. This thing looks and feels like a real deal Colt 6920 AR15 M4 Type. This thing worked great with FVP and had no issues over about 200 rounds.

This gun is not an AR at all. The entire action, and barrel too, is inside an AR15 exoskeleton. That is right, the barrel is inside a barrel! When you take out the barreled action, it looks much like a Ruger 10/22.

The Upper and Lower is all metal construction and the weight mimics a real 6920. This thing does not feel like a toy like those other 22 ARs. It even has a faux forward assist, and faux mag catch, just so it could look exactly like a 6920.

Best of all is we did not have to zero the ACOG. We did shift the scope a little, as from the paint splatter on the target, we appeared about 3" far left at 25 yards (6 clicks right got us what appeared to be dead center).
IMG_2142-vi.jpg

Chief performing a function test with the Glock 22 and the Tactical Solutions .22LR conversion Kit. This is the only gun that gave us problems.. more on this below.
IMG_2099-vi.jpg

I fell in love with this kit when I first saw it. The slide in the hand feels like a real Glock slide. It also came with a threaded barrel, which is pretty awesome! since I have a 22LR can, a threaded barrel is a nice luxury.

Now for the problems. When I took this kit home and put it on my Glock 22 and performed a home function test. I knew there was going to be problems. Using my dummy rounds, and racking the slide on a fully loaded mag (with dummy rounds), the rounds would fail to eject, and frequently jam the gun. Upon further investigation, it appeared that the feed ramp on the barrel was very rough, and this rough spot caused the round not to chamber. So I smoothed out the feed ramp with a jewelry file.

I was not done with the home function test yet, searching on Google, I found a youtube video where a guy made a video of his mods to get this kit working. One of the mods he suggested was the filing down of the ejector groove to make it bigger, or else the gun would fail to go into battery. I found my kit had the same issue, that even racking the slide at home I could see the ejector would not fully go in the ejector groove. So with my jewelry file, I made the ejector groove bigger just enough so the action would properly close.

Once I got all the dummy rounds in a full mag to properly eject, and performing many function testing to see if the action would fully close after the ejector groove mod, it was time to take it to the range for a real function test.

At the range we still had problems, every other round would stove pipe. Looking at the jams, it appeared the recoil spring was too stiff or something like that as the slide would not fully go back to properly extract the spent case and feed another round. What I did next was put very Liberal amounts of Mobil-1 and rack the slide of the empty gun about 200 times as fast as I could to see if I could loosen things up....

THIS WORKED!!! After doing all this, was able to run 3 full 15 round mags without issues shooting FVP.

The TSF manual says break in period is 500 rounds and you should use quality ammo like Mini-mag. Bah! No such thing as Break in the House of Cartmann! If a gun can't shoot FVP, then it is not a gun worth owning. Moving forward, I think this kit will be OK now, but time will tell.
IMG_2129-vi.jpg

Last edited:
So that concludes our .22 Function Testing Sesstion. Here are some pics with other toys that night.

.22 Caliber Bow and Arrow. With the naked eye, these arrows like like it's .22 in diameter.
IMG_2103-vi.jpg

AR10 Moon Bathing in the Desert.
IMG_2120-vi.jpg

Looks like fun, wondering how you got that federal bulk box...

Does the bulk not go supersonic out of the colt 22lr?

Im looking at getting my first 22lr can this year and I really like the price of that tac 65. Looks like its about half the price of a sparrow.

Good stuff... glad to see you out having fun with your kids. I like the conversions because the function will relate directly to the "real deal" when you switch to centerfire.

I'm also digging the Raiders logo! I've been a Cowboys fan for 40 years but that logo looks great on your rifle!

One little tip for Chief... stack your thumbs on the pistol. He has his left thumb over his right in the picture of him with the Glock. Teach him while young and while shooting a small caliber so when he switches to a heavier caliber he will reap the benefits of better consistancy in trigger pull and recoil control.

Found this picture:
Enos.jpg

Looks like fun, wondering how you got that federal bulk box...

Does the bulk not go supersonic out of the colt 22lr?

Im looking at getting my first 22lr can this year and I really like the price of that tac 65. Looks like its about half the price of a sparrow.

The FVP out of the Colt it is not subsonic, so you still hear the crack, but there is no boom. I have tons of FVP stuff in my personal inventory. Even during good times, CCI mini-mag was going for about $6 a box (100 rounds) while this stuff was going for $10 a box (550 rounds), so I bought up quite a bit. Had so much that I even sold 2 boxes to a buddy just recently for $11 each box (my cost).. see the great Friend that Cartmann is!!!???

I really want another .22LR can just to have, and it's hard for me to get anything besides the TAC-65.

Good stuff... glad to see you out having fun with your kids. I like the conversions because the function will relate directly to the "real deal" when you switch to centerfire.

I'm also digging the Raiders logo! I've been a Cowboys fan for 40 years but that logo looks great on your rifle!

One little tip for Chief... stack your thumbs on the pistol. He has his left thumb over his right in the picture of him with the Glock. Teach him while young and while shooting a small caliber so when he switches to a heavier caliber he will reap the benefits of better consistancy in trigger pull and recoil control.

Found this picture:
Enos.jpg

Totally agree man! To me it does look like he is making an effort stacking his thumbs. He does not shoot pistol much, only rifles (that is all he owns). I was really not payign attention to that though, Will make sure to pay attention to that closer next time he shoots.

Last edited:
Lucky kid! When I was ten the best I could hope to shoot was my dad's Nylon 66. It was a decent rifle but doesn't compare to that selection.

I need to get one of the Colt's for my 6 y/o. He likes shooting my suppressed 300 Blackout so much that he is no longer interested in the "normal" 22's ! That is awesome that, you took out someone else's kid like that. I do it as much as possible to make them safer. Around firearms if nothing else.

I need to get one of the Colt's for my 6 y/o. He likes shooting my suppressed 300 Blackout so much that he is no longer interested in the "normal" 22's ! That is awesome that, you took out someone else's kid like that. I do it as much as possible to make them safer. Around firearms if nothing else.

His dad takes him shooting regularly and he has his own .22. He prefers shooting .223 but beggars can't be choosers. I actually take kids shooting all the time. The smile on their faces makes shooting more fun. The only reason I enjoy shooting these days is because I love introducing new shooters to this hobby of mine.

His dad takes him shooting regularly and he has his own .22. He prefers shooting .223 but beggars can't be choosers. I actually take kids shooting all the time. The smile on their faces makes shooting more fun. The only reason I enjoy shooting these days is because I love introducing new shooters to this hobby of mine.

Cartman are you turning over a new leaf???

Also, without pictures of the plush Eric Cartman behind the rifles I find that I am disappointed by this post.

Cartman are you turning over a new leaf???

Also, without pictures of the plush Eric Cartman behind the rifles I find that I am disappointed by this post.

I have always been the same way. It's all the Cool Kids and Operators that try to make Cartmann into a bad guy? Does not matter. I love all the operators and cool kids I see on Gun Forums

Last edited:

Kudos to you for introducing kids to firearms and mentoring them some. Every kid that learns to shoot early is one less anti-gun activist we will have to deal with later. Steel and other reactive tgts are great for kids. It gives them immediate feedback regarding their marksmanship. That makes it more fun than paper tgts.

Irish