• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

first range trip with my new TRG-22 and S&B 5-25x

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
Earlier this evening, I finally got some trigger time with my Sako TRG-22. I actually bought it back in January but since then I’ve been saving for a S&B 5-25x PMII .1 mil P4f which arrived on Monday. I mounted the S&B in a Spuhr mount which is outstanding. It took me several months of saving to afford everything, but now that I’ve got some trigger time with this set up, I’m thrilled with everything. All of this waiting also allowed me the time to build a makeshift range with the help of a friend.

I’m going to work up a load for the TRG, but for now I’m using leftover handloads that I loaded for my former Remington 5R (175 SMK’s, Lapua brass, 44.2 grs Varget, 2.80 COL, CCI BR2). Once getting my new TRG dialed in, I shot some groups at 100 and then 306 yards. All groups were well under MOA, most were about .5 MOA (all 5 shots). Every group I shot got smaller than the last, the third group at 100 was right around .400”. I had time to shoot a group at 306 yards (I placed this target holder here to avoid moving it when I mow) before it got dark. This group also showed great promise and was only ruined by the one flyer I caused once I started to get over confident and lose concentration.

I wanted to post this report to reassure anyone who may be on the fence about spending a lot of money on a similar setup. My Remington 5R and Leupold MK4 was a solid shooter, but the TRG/S&B is in another class all together. Here are some pic’s of my range trip earlier tonight:

IMG_0671-1.jpg

IMG_0669-1.jpg

Overview of my yard/range:
IMG_0675.jpg

100 yard target:
IMG_0676.jpg

306 yard target:
IMG_0677.jpg

Re: first range trip with my new TRG-22 and S&B 5-25x

I like your back yard.

Oh, the rifle's nice too.
grin.gif

All I can say is WOW. Umm..it looks like you've got a load worked up already. Hows the fit and finish? What about the stock? more dirty details please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: will76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is WOW. Umm..it looks like you've got a load worked up already. Hows the fit and finish? What about the stock? more dirty details please. </div></div>
The stock is outstanding. The fit and finish couldn't be better. The S&B is so much better in every way than the MK4 it replaced.

I'm financially cursed to live near EuroOptics so I was able to personally spend some time with the TRG and the AI AE MKII which I was also strongly considering. In the end, I went with the Sako because the TRG had the best trigger I've ever pulled, slightly better fit and finish (some of the AI skins don't always line up perfectly), and the TRG was a good bit lighter. That said, they are both outstanding rifles.

Scope wise, I was totally on the fence between the S&B 5-25x P4f .1 mil CCW and the Premier Heritage 5-25x .1 mil Gen2 XR. This decision almost came down to a coin-flip. I couldn't decide even after spending nearly an hour looking through both. I went with S&B mostly due to their more established history making optics, but I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Premier. I do like the illumination control better on the S&B. All other features were a wash.

Fuck me, I want a backyard like that.

Thanks for all the compliments. I love where I live. I actually grew up on this spread and finally found a decent job back here in northern PA so I was able to move back a few years ago. It's a lot of work maintaining this place, but not having neighbors is worth any and all inconvenience.

Speaking of neighbors, my nearest (about .7 miles away) has a huge field that he used to farm. Some other shooters and I were thrilled when said neighbor told us we're welcome to shoot in his field (our land borders his). We should be able to get 1,200 yards with a little work and 1,000 as things currently stand.

Your Trg is Just the right set up,if my backyard was also my range ...well I'd never leave home.

Love the yard, shooting over a small pond? Got any fish in it?

I ordered my TRG-22 yesterday.

It appears you have a large spacer to raise the cheekpiece. Is it 10mm? Can you remove the bolt with that spacer in place?

What rings or mount are you using?

What is the measurement from the top of the rail to the center of the optic?

Great looking setup and range/yard!

Hi

Its really great to read you'r review and to see that you saved money for quite some time to afford it.
Makes me extra glad to see that you went for the Trg mount instead of the picatinny solution.

Have you got the manual and catalog? Othervise just tell me your emailadress and I will email it to you.

Regards Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered my TRG-22 yesterday.

It appears you have a large spacer to raise the cheekpiece. Is it 10mm? Can you remove the bolt with that spacer in place?

What rings or mount are you using?

What is the measurement from the top of the rail to the center of the optic?

</div></div>
Yes, I added a 10mm spacer. I can remove the bolt with it in place, but any higher and I wouldn't be able to.

I'm using the Spuhr mount. It's not the cheapest, but after looking at other mounting systems, I feel like it's the best. I think it's a 1.38" mount, Mr. Spuhr could tell you for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi

Its really great to read you'r review and to see that you saved money for quite some time to afford it.
Makes me extra glad to see that you went for the Trg mount instead of the picatinny solution.

Have you got the manual and catalog? Othervise just tell me your emailadress and I will email it to you.

Regards Håkan </div></div>
Sir,
Your mount is awesome. I'll try to post some better pic's of it during my next range trip. It is easily on par in terms of quality and design with the Sako TRG and the S&B PMII. I plan on adding one to my AR15 after some more saving.

I'll send you my email address via IM. My email may also be located in my profile. The manual is the only thing improvement I can think of (by including it in the box).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fox5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the yard, shooting over a small pond? Got any fish in it? </div></div>
Yes, the smaller pond has several 5-6 pound Largemouth Bass in it. There's actually a much larger pond that you can't see in these photos. The 300 yard target is set up on the far edge of the big pond. The bigger pond is about 200 yards long by 80 yards wide and 14' deep in the deepest areas. This pond has tons of bass, panfish, and 12 Walleye that I stocked over the last several years. The Walleye don't seem to be reproducing, but they are existing just fine. I catch 2-3 each year.

Re: first range trip with my new TRG-22 and S&B 5-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle and yard, not sure which one I'm more jealous of? </div></div>

Both for me!

An all around sweet setup that you have every right to be proud of. That rifle package and personal range are something that will provide many years of entertainment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fox5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the yard, shooting over a small pond? Got any fish in it? </div></div>
Yes, the smaller pond has several 5-6 pound Largemouth Bass in it. There's actually a much larger pond that you can't see in these photos. The 300 yard target is set up on the far edge of the big pond. The bigger pond is about 200 yards long by 80 yards wide and 14' deep in the deepest areas. This pond has tons of bass, panfish, and 12 Walleye that I stocked over the last several years. The Walleye don't seem to be reproducing, but they are existing just fine. I catch 2-3 each year. </div></div>

Awesome great to hear about all that. I'm glad you dont have herons eating your fish. Think the walleyes have reached maximum capacity for the size so they aren't reproducing, or the temperature isn't right? haha happy shooting and fishing

Nice setup and great shooting.

All of these TRG threads are killing me! When will my .260 TRG get her?!?

From the many range reports like this that I've seen there is no doubt it'll be with the wait though.

I am jealous of our back yard. I have the rig already. However, I don't have the Spuhr mount. That thing is cool.

Jamie

That is a great setup you've got right there, both in the rifle and your back yard (very envious!). Must give you lots of satisfaction! Happy shooting mate.

not sure what I am more impressed with...the yard, gun or shooting!! Very nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice TRG!! Thats the way to do it. Save up and buy once, cry once. </div></div>

+1 nice rig a backyardand great shooting.
smile.gif

I wouldn't exactly call that a backyard, more like a slice of heaven, IT HAS IT'S OWN GUN RANGE!!!

Congrats, completely awesome

Update:
I got some more range time last night. I threw on my celebratory Gadsden flag t-shirt in honor of our brave soldiers who finally brought OBL to justice and headed down to the pond with my Sako TRG.

Last night's range trip was significantly better than my initial outing outlined in my original post. At 100 yards, I didn't even bother measuring the groups. Both five round groups were a very small ragged hole. I had time to shoot four groups at 306 yards, each one was smaller than the one before. My final 306 yard group was just under 1", and none were over 1.5". Considering it was a little gusty, I was thrilled.

This Sunday, I hope to try out some other loads and break out the chrono. I'm still shooting nothing but 175 SMK handloads left over from my former Remington 5R. Consider this post a pep talk for anyone who's on the fence about buying a TRG. These rifles shoot, and I don't consider myself that great of a shot.

My TRG loves my 175grn SMK loads as well as my 155 Lapua Scenar loads. Of course I have to mention my 190grn SMK subsonic load for the TBAC 30P-1 suppressor.

I'll have to take some pictures of my baby after adding some more goodies on her!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:
I got some more range time last night. I threw on my celebratory Gadsden flag t-shirt in honor of our brave soldiers who finally brought OBL to justice and headed down to the pond with my Sako TRG.

Last night's range trip was significantly better than my initial outing outlined in my original post. At 100 yards, I didn't even bother measuring the groups. Both five round groups were a very small ragged hole. I had time to shoot four groups at 306 yards, each one was smaller than the one before. My final 306 yard group was just under 1", and none were over 1.5". Considering it was a little gusty, I was thrilled.

This Sunday, I hope to try out some other loads and break out the chrono. I'm still shooting nothing but 175 SMK handloads left over from my former Remington 5R. Consider this post a pep talk for anyone who's on the fence about buying a TRG. These rifles shoot, and I don't consider myself that great of a shot.

</div></div>

Does your t-shirt sport a Rattle Snake like this?
DSC01698.jpg

I'm really loving this thing. I'm slowly working up loads with 168 SMKs and have found a sweet spot at 44.5 grains of Varget loaded about .005" - .010" off the lands. Velocity is averaging 2755 with a SD of 16 so not too bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:

</div></div>

Does your t-shirt sport a Rattle Snake like this?
DSC01698.jpg

I'm really loving this thing. I'm slowly working up loads with 168 SMKs and have found a sweet spot at 44.5 grains of Varget loaded about .005" - .010" off the lands. Velocity is averaging 2755 with a SD of 16 so not too bad. </div></div>
Yep, my shirt is the same.