• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First rounds from the Accuracy International AW50

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
The first time I saw the Accuracy International AW50 in person was at the 2005 TACPRO Sniper Tournament, where we shot the TACPRO demo gun with and without the suppressor and as part of one of the stages.

............... Larger version of above photo.

I've owned several 50's in the past, and recently (last year) did a review of a bunch of the "budget" models, and shot most of the rest that are available on the market.

D462_5116_img_icon.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">article</span> | <span style="font-weight: bold">Battle of the Budget .50 BMG Rifles </span>

The AW50 is a heavy beast, but it is immediately apparent that it's a well-thought out weapons "system", not something simply scaled up or cobbled together for the hobbyist to shoot .50.

The bolt is huge, but arranged so a right-handed shooter can run the bolt while staying on the gun. Ergonomics on a .50 are important simply to prevent bruising while shooting, and the AW50 gets this more or less right.

After getting a rough zero at 100 yards (using 5 rounds and one to chrono), the first long-range shot was on a 3' plate at 1350 yards, using data from the computer (10.6 mils). The impact was 6" or less off the plate. Not bad considering it was totally untested data and it included my wind call.

Our own C. Ward makes the AW50 look almost the size of a normal rifle. He knocked over the 1350 plate on this shot.

The "new" AI .50 BMW brake is more effective than the old one. This looks just like a scaled-up version of their "new" .338LM brake. It reduces recoil effectively and the muzzle blast isn't that bad compared to other .50 BMG brakes.

Re: First rounds from the Accuracy International AW50

Zak... Nice stick! I think it would be wise of to stay as far away from that thing as possible. Last time I shot one of your sticks I ended up blowing roughly 10g's on a comparable stick. I've gotta assume that with all of the goodies that this rifle is pushing 15 to 20g's.... Is that about right?

What kind of ammo are you using? Strictly 750 AMAX, M33? AP or API rounds? What kind of groupings are you getting with the stick? I need an AW50 to complete my collection, but just can't seem to justify YET!

Leap of faith for a devil eye shooter to stick his snout behind a .50 bolt........... I'm just sayin'

Damn, you're right, Chuck does make it look normal size.

I still think I have a loose filling.

No way Zak, you (your page) made me order a AI AW in 308 that I wait for now. I cant get that kind of money a AW50 cost...
grin.gif

(Not now any way...)
wink.gif

Johan, that 50 will never fly back here,
wink.gif

At least if you listen to what some people say,

I belive that it´s very possible to get one at some cost of cours.

Best regards Chris

Swedish guy, it might be possible but way to expensive to shoot here in Sweden. And to much hassle to get it here. Im fine with the small calibers. I guess 338 LM is the best thing if I would want to go bigger.

Johan,

vi som känner till om dig vet ju att du redan har provat en .50 och gillade den,

for the rest of the forum, excuse me/us.

Yes a 50 would be far to expensive to shoot in sweden, great though but far to costly.

/Christian

Zak, Any feed back on accuracy of your new rig. I'm curious about a comparison to your 338 or your other rifles. Regards Bill