• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First Serious LR Scope

RNWRKNP

Sophisticated Redneck
Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2017
    PHX, AZ
    With a lot of painful deliberation, advice from the forum and a firm grasp of the nut sack, I ordered a new Atacr F1 5-25 illuminated MilR to put on my Sako A7 7RM Range with 26” tube. Old news for most of the guys here but a huge step up for me and at Franks advice I went with as much functional magnification as I could afford.
    Once again if I could ask for the benefit of your experience to assist me with the best mounting options your assistance will be much appreciated. Separate rings, uni-mount, rail, mini level??? Hunted all my life but never with a precision scope like this and want to do it right.

Thank you in advance!

https://www.americanrifle.com/ M10 QDL or SPUHR. Pick which you like.

ARC the big plus is that it grips the scope uniformly and the reticle tends to stay where you put it as you tighten the screws.

Spuhr is cool because you can attach other cool stuff (like an aimpoint for back up)

https://www.americanrifle.com/ M10 QDL or SPUHR. Pick which you like.

ARC the big plus is that it grips the scope uniformly and the reticle tends to stay where you put it as you tighten the screws.

Spuhr is cool because you can attach other cool stuff (like an aimpoint for back up)

Doesn’t Frank advise against the vertical Split Ring? It looks like the ARC is a vertical split? Probably asking a stupid question but want to understand.

Doesn’t Frank advise against the vertical Split Ring? It looks like the ARC is a vertical split? Probably asking a stupid question but want to understand.
    Yes. It does weird stuff on erector set I seem to recall

Spuhr and ERA-Tac are two serious mounts worth every penny. There may be others but these two are proven. For rings I'd say Badger Ordnance, Seekins and ARC

Spuhr and ERA-Tac are two serious mounts worth every penny. There may be others but these two are proven. For rings I'd say Badger Ordnance, Seekins and ARC
    Leaning toward the SPuhr but damn those boys are proud of their stuff. Any experience with their quick disconnect and holding zero? Intend to share my new Nightforce ATACR between two rifles.

Leaning toward the SPuhr but damn those boys are proud of their stuff. Any experience with their quick disconnect and holding zero? Intend to share my new Nightforce ATACR between two rifles.

If you going to "share" your scope with other rifles, get the Spuhr! It is a quality piece of equipment.

With a lot of painful deliberation, advice from the forum and a firm grasp of the nut sack, I ordered a new Atacr F1 5-25 illuminated MilR to put on my Sako A7 7RM Range with 26” tube. Old news for most of the guys here but a huge step up for me and at Franks advice I went with as much functional magnification as I could afford.
    Once again if I could ask for the benefit of your experience to assist me with the best mounting options your assistance will be much appreciated. Separate rings, uni-mount, rail, mini level??? Hunted all my life but never with a precision scope like this and want to do it right.

Thank you in advance!

Usually I'd suggest ARC, they hold a scope tube like no other, but since your rifle is a sleek one take a look at Seekins which are very high quality sleek rings.

I'd recommend a quality rail (badger, NF) and a matching set of precision steel rings. Again NF or badger would be my choice.

Will the nightforce rail mount up to my Sako A7 action? Seekins tells me that there rail and rings won’t work with my weaver bases or Sako action.

Spuhr. Integral bubble level means one less thing to buy and hangoff your rifle.
    Which also means one less thing to knocked out of whack.
    I have a few and won't buy anything else.
    I've beat one particular set up while hunting in -30f in Canada for wolf pretty bad, held zero just fine. Don't know what other rings would have.
    Truck, snowmobile, frozen, dropped, and kicked by mistake when my folder got frozen closed after I didn't kick all the snow off and it warmed while I at lunch in the truck.

Reactions: NiemiPT
    Going Spuhr fur sure! Seekins for my SHV F1 while I wait for my ATACR F1 which will get the good stuff? Roll the SHV off the 7 RM down to my 25-06 A7 when my ATACR Gets here. Ordered it new from the factory.

Reactions: Sainte70
    20 MOA nightforce rail.....limited on what I can use with a Sako A7 action. Haven’t decided on unimount or separates for the SHV.

Progress.....not as nice as most of the Hide but she’s mine?? Scope is here, finally decided on rings and that sexy pig is mounted up. So stoked right now? was going to go SPHUR but decided on all Nightforce, take the balance of what I would have spent on the SPUHR and ordering up a QD Atlas as I can’t take this Harris anymore. Nightforce 6 screw rings are no slouch sitting on top of a Nightforce 20 MOA rail cleaned and tourqed to spec with a fat wrench. Having the choice of green or red illumination is awesome and love the simplicity of the MilR reticle. Intend to dial and hold for wind.
    7C2E1FEE-8B36-4895-8C28-E544E0C3B402.jpeg
    8BFC53CD-8191-41AD-B6CB-DB66328B9B1A.jpeg
    695648E2-DC25-4E4F-9A77-4D5F8AB246BD.jpeg
    5382CA72-2338-4013-8E34-23B96C5FA731.jpeg

Progress.....not as nice as most of the Hide but she’s mine?? Scope is here, finally decided on rings and that sexy pig is mounted up. So stoked right now? was going to go SPHUR but decided on all Nightforce, take the balance of what I would have spent on the SPUHR and ordering up a QD Atlas as I can’t take this Harris anymore. Nightforce 6 screw rings are no slouch sitting on top of a Nightforce 20 MOA rail cleaned and tourqed to spec with a fat wrench. Having the choice of green or red illumination is awesome and love the simplicity of the MilR reticle. Intend to dial and hold for wind.View attachment 6915253View attachment 6915254View attachment 6915255View attachment 6915256
    very nice.either get a stock pack and build up with foam or buy a kydex adjustable cheek piece.
    You're going to need to raise your cheek weld.
    I really like a good stock pack with some foam underneath. not only does it provide proper cheek weld, but they have a small storage pouch for batteries and small tools.

very nice.either get a stock pack and build up with foam or buy a kydex adjustable cheek piece.
    You're going to need to raise your cheek weld.
    I really like a good stock pack with some foam underneath. not only does it provide proper cheek weld, but they have a small storage pouch for batteries and small tools.

Got a stock pack but it was way to high but your right. Don’t care for the jaw weld thing I have going on? Do you have a brand recommendation?

I didn't see this thread till tonight, but NF rings are definitely the way to go. Do you have the ability to torque to 100"#'s?

I didn't see this thread till tonight, but NF rings are definitely the way to go. Do you have the ability to torque to 100"#'s?

Need another torque wrench as I can’t get 100 out of what I have. My fat wrench is 65+

Need another torque wrench as I can’t get 100 out of what I have. My fat wrench is 65+
    That's what I figured. Those 6 screw rings really need 100"#'s of torque, as the wider clamp won't hold as well at 65"#. Borka makes one. NF also has one. Both are way better than the FAT wrench, ime.

Was going to try and source one locally in the morning as I have been the victim of my own stupidity before? Actually just started doing all this shit for myself because of mistakes others made when mounting things for me and having them walk. Practiced with my SHV while I waited for my ATACR. Hunted all my life but these are the first fully functional scopes I have owned and extremely pleased with both of them.

Well she’s done.....for now? screws are at 100# and I ditched the Harris as I broke it last time out. 2nd one I have broken and I’m done. 7” QD Atlas, GG&G bipod adaptor and share it with my other rifles.

E8CDEA69-0611-45C1-AB33-9F40B5C9A5C4.jpeg