• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time behind a 30-06

J_Roger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Commerce, MI
www.facebook.com
So I shot my first 30-06 today, my roommate just got it (Savage 110) and I must say... Holy shit!!! I may be a smaller guy, but that is just way too much rifle to try tac LR shooting with. After 10 rounds, my shoulder was killing me, lol. I give credit to all you guys with the .300's and .338's. Needless to say, my roomy has decided to sell it and get a .308, haha

Re: First time behind a 30-06

He is going to sell it after his first time shooting it?

you could always try a muzzle brake. is it really that bad? ive been shooting the .06/8mm mauser/similar sized cartridges since i was 10 or so, and im still not even that big (5'6, 115 pounds soaking wet).

not trying to sound like a hard ass or anything, but maybe it just takes some getting used to, dont give it up just yet. how heavy is the rifle?

I agree with all your points and told him to see if he could possibly get used to it, but his retort was "If I can't even maintain positive control over the recoil, then I'm never going to be accurate of enough to do LR work". Sounds to me like his minds made, and I do agree, if you;re not having fun shooting your rifle, then it's not the rifle for you.

I made the mistake of buying a Weatherby Ultra-light in 30-06. Talk about KICK !!! I found someone to trade me an Accumark in .308 for it. I like shooting it so much better.

If he can't shoot an '06, he wont be able to shoot a 308. There isnt that much differance/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he can't shoot an '06, he wont be able to shoot a 308. There isnt that much differance/ </div></div>

Sound advice.

Give it another try. Maybe trying another shooting position will help

Isn't the .308 an 30-06 case shortened to create a full powder column? My .308 shoots much easier than my old 30-06 but only because the .308 is a heavy barrel and overall is much heavier than the 30-06 with a sporter barrel and a light weight stock. Do you or your buddy reload? You can tame most rifles with a good handload. JMHO

RT

Sounds like your talking about a sporter weight rifle. If you build a precision rifle, you'll probably end up with 14-16 lbs at the end of it all, and it will be much better mannered.

I have two 30-06s. A 16.5 lb precision rig, and a 8.5lb sporter. The heavy rifle is a pussycat.

PA290011.jpg

Like others have said the 308 isn't going to be much of a difference you may drop down to a 6.5x47 lapua or 260 rem if your shoulders or sensitive. You might try holding the rifle firm against your shoulder this makes it feel more like a push than a kick. If you decide to keep it try a different recoil pad, or a heavier stock. If you have a cheap plastic stock they aren't very forgiving...but if your planning on doing lr shooting you need an adequate stock. The 6.5 are by far a better cartridge for long range shooting due to their high bc's and mild recoil.

Try lighter loads or load them down. Is always the other ways that are more expensive.....Stock with Fill, Heavy Scope, Heavy bbl. A leadsled! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he can't shoot an '06, he wont be able to shoot a 308. There isnt that much differance/</div></div>

I was surprised to find out that is the case. See here for comparisons:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I grew up shooting a .270 and I was surprised to find the kick of the .308 to be roughly the same. The kicks is a little "snappier" on a .270 with the .308 seeming to have a slower recoil pulse, but the recoil was similar (.270 is just a necked down 30-06).

.243 seems to be about half of the .308 and .223 about have of the .243. The 22LR and 17HMR are about 1/10 of a .223.

I have nothing nice to add....

Ever shot a .303 Enfield? Limeys had to run a "mad minute" with those, and they had steel buttplates.

if the 06 is to big step down to a 260 or 243 with the correct twist you cant shoot if you get a flinch also get him to look at a 8 twist 223 if only shooting to 600 yards then get some shooting practice in time mabe he can step up to a 308 or 06

Realy the 308 with factory in the same configeration rifle will likley have a faster recoil impulse due to being loaded to higher pressure and using faster powders.

So if he gets a muzzle break fitted he should be able to shoot the rifle he already owns. I have to ask why did he get a 30-06 as his first lr rifle?

Also as others have mentioned try shooting the mad minuite with a smle 303 with the brass butplate. also the SLR's we had issued had alloy butplates they used to give some good bruses with new shooters and bad shooting positions.

I have been shooting 308's from 10 and think that if you are recoil shy start with a smaller calibre because if you can not hit what you are aiming at the bigger calibre will not kill it if you hit it you have a better chance.

the .06 is a tried and true caliber imho, dont give up on it yet like the others have said, there isnt much difference in the .308 and 30.06

i used to shoot 30+ rounds in practice sessions when i first started shooting with my browning a-bolt

Just shoot it more.

He will get used to it. After about 100 rounds, it starts to feel like normal.

Practice practice practice. Also, always wear ear protection. It always seems worse with the noise.

Shooting discipline makes a difference too. Get set up properly and you'll be sweet.

I was so scared of my 270 the first time I shot it. Less than a year later, I bought a 300 winmag, in the same weight. You get used to it, honestly, don't worry about it.

Chris

LMFAO.

Maybe because I've seen people of much smaller stature use the M1 Garands we gave them (in some cases, after shortening the stocks to accomodate them).

Others have already suggested, using a better stock, more weight (stock fill, heavier barrel), adding a muzzle break.

Or, (probably best for you) step down to a smaller cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing nice to add....

Ever shot a .303 Enfield? Limeys had to run a "mad minute" with those, and they had steel buttplates. </div></div>

My 1915 SMLE is a pussycat compared to my mates 30 06 1903 Springfield or 7.92 Mauser 98K, The Springfield was a shoulder killer, fired 10 and gave it back vowing never again. Give me a pussy kicking gun any day of the week.

You get used to recoil imo.

I guess its like boxing.

You dont take up the sport expecting to be king hit by Mike Tyson with each every punch on your first few training sessions, but you know that if you take your sport seriously enough eventually your going to take a few decent hits... and eventually you will look back and think that those few hits are nothing.

The more and more i shoot my rifle the more I realise how little it recoils. I have made modifications that reduce recoil also, but I can still shoot larger calibers no worries because I have lots of time behind a rifle.

Its mostly in the mind and only a little in the body. Once you shoot something that totally rocks your world, then perhaps you might want to rethink it, but I think a .30-06 aint that bad.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

The big variable is the weight of his 30-06. Not many precision rifles are specifically chambered in 30-06, while just about every gun manufacturer makes hunting rifles in that caliber. If he's shooting prone with a light rifle, that's why he's hurting. If that were in a dedicated precision rig, filled and bedded stock, bull barrel, I'm sure the dude wouldn't have as big of an issue with the recoil. Just my 2 cents.

OP,

If the rifle is a Savage and you don't reload, then pull the barrel and screw in a heavy, fast twist .243 and go shoot.

This game is played because it is fun. If you are not enjoying the experience, no matter how tough <span style="font-weight: bold">everyone thinks</span> you should be, it won't be fun and you won't do it. Without going out and shooting you will never get better and you will never get to the point where the '06 doesn't bother you.

Go get a lighter recoiling rifle, buy lots of ammo, concentrate on shooting from solid positions and become proficient, then you will have the experience and confidence to give something with more recoil a go.

Good Luck and have fun!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=284105

They work amazingly and you can wear them under a jacket or something if you're scared of looking like a pansy. I'm not... I can't shoot 300+ unbraked 308 rounds without one in a weekend and not develop a flinch or be bruised for weeks. I picked mine up for $20 on sale, but it's worth the $30 they want now.

You could get a brake, but concussion sucks and then everyone bitches about it and you won't be able to shoot in some comps or f-class matches, etc etc etc. Fuck that, get a bionic arm. (that's what I call mine)

My Granddaughter (14, 100lb, 5' 3"') shoots my lightweight M70 .30-'06, well under 8lb loaded. For her, I load it with Remington 125gr Managed Recoil factory loads, and it's no biggie for her. I use Remington 150gr Express Core-Lokts. It has also been used prone in many tactical rifle matches using FGMM 168gr Match Loads. The rifle is equipped with a Limbsaver Slip-On butt pad, and this does a very good job of attenuating recoil.

Greg

Good points all, I have passed on all of your suggestions and I hope he takes into account that you all know what you're talking about. Again, thanks for your advice.

Taylor

The 30-06 is a man's rifle.

If he is brand new to shooting, he probably should get something lighter.

If he isn't, he needs to deal with it even if that means a muzzle brake/suppressor, recoil pad or heavier stock, whatever.

The fun guns only kick harder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badred6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is going to sell it after his first time shooting it? </div></div>

A buddy of mine did that with a .458 Lott. He sold it with 19rds of ammo and one spent case. By the time the third guy sold it there were 17rds. The fourth guy never pulled the trigger and I lost track of the rifle after that...

I shot another friend's Lott in a Ruger 77. With a good cheek weld and leaning into it, it felt like someone hit me in the other side of the face. He's got a #1 that has been re-chambered to .500 Nitro that should be back any day now. I said I'd shoot it once and I'm afraid he's going to hold me to it...

Just like with pistols..you don't start out with a 45acp, you start out with something with less recoil so you can concentrate on basics like sight alignment and trigger pull...when you can control those, then you slowly work up. It is the same for rifle.

Sporter weight 30-06 rifles shooting 180 grain bullets can be quite snappy, especially if they don't have a decent recoil pad, or if the stock doesn't fit you well. Proper stock fit will really mitigate recoil.

Man up, my 1903 Springfield has a steel buttplate. If its beating you up that bad you are either doing something wrong with your form/stance or you need to put the guns down and go back to Michaels' evening crochet class. To put it in context I only weigh 120lbs. Felt recoil is subjective to the individual, you will either grow accustomed to it or not. The .308 might not be a bad idea.

All the other calibers I have shot were other peoples rifles. I have an 06 700. I got to shooting it with the factory config for about a year and a half, then I did upgrades, and handloading. The handloads push harder than factory ammo. I weigh about 200 even, my buddy has me by about 15-20 lbs and he says its too much. It all depends on the shooter. I thinks if its what ya got, get over it and shoot it. I have seen small frame women and teenage kids shoot 06 up to 50bmg. Tell em to man up and shoot it.

I am sympathetic to the sentiment, if it is a first time shooter it's not the best idea.

But with any experience at all you have to figure out how to shoot a gun of that power if you're ever going to do anything serious. Unless 6mm BR is your be all end all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep a light 30-06 can make for a long day </div></div>
This is probably the bottom line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I shot my first 30-06 today, my roommate just got it (Savage 110) and I must say... Holy shit!!! I may be a smaller guy, but that is just way too much rifle to try tac LR shooting with. After 10 rounds, my shoulder was killing me, lol. I give credit to all you guys with the .300's and .338's. Needless to say, my roomy has decided to sell it and get a .308, haha </div></div>

Yes...A <span style="font-weight: bold">sporter</span> weight rifle is a bit jumpy for TAC LR work, or for comfortable bench work.

They can be accurate and reliable, but if you look around this site much you will see mostly heavy barreled rigs over 12#.

The Savage sporter is around 7#...there's big difference in the felt recoil between the two, but not so much from 308 vs 30-06 in the same weight rifle.

You could also try lighter bullets...150gr, or try a box of Remington Managed Recoil ammo to start out with, it kicks less than 1/2 of what standard ammo does.

TC

If you load that 30-06 with something like 155 Scenars to about 2850 fps over 46gr or so of RL10, you'll have a fairly pleasant load capable of reaching 1K.

Stoke it with 60+gr of slow powder under a 200-220gr bullet, and you are well beyond 308Win country in terms of performance, and recoil.

I got my first 3006 at 13 years old. Being 6'2" and 125lbs didn't make shooting it comfortable. But jesus, you don't go and sell it, you learn how to shoot it! Get a shoulder pad or do what's necessary to tame the horsepower! On a range trip, I'd put about 120 rounds through it on a session. And only 120 because my dad would only buy that much for me.

Or, if he could get his hands on something bigger for a couple days and shoot that a bit, when he goes back to the '06 it won't feel bad at all.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BronxFireGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, if he could get his hands on something bigger for a couple days and shoot that a bit, when he goes back to the '06 it won't feel bad at all.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

This would work. I have a cz550 in 9.3x64 (just smaller than 375h&h) and it is about 6-7 pounds. You get the 280gr bullets moving and it does not feel good. Everything else is easy after I shoot this.
Your busy should try and add some weight to the rifle, get a recoil pad and get a sissy shoulder pad till he is used to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing nice to add.... </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. So i guess i wont say anything at all...

I explain to my Grandkiddoes to embrace the rifle and hold it close, so it can't get a run and slam into them. The recoil is there to ride, all that happens when you try to hold it off is that it wins the argument.

Greg

Tell your buddy I'll give him $200 for his used 30-06.

Light, sporter weight -06's are not particularly nice to shoot but they're not designed for 40 rounds a day downrange. They're configured for 1-2 shots in a day at a high excitement level as you're drawing a bead on that immense trophy (or at least that's what the Marketeers would have you believe).

Carrying a 16lb+ tactical rifle around on a hunting trip isn't much fun.

You can switch rifles, calibers, configuration, etc. I would not advise selling it off just yet. Besides, it still has a POS plastic stock on there, a Choate stock would make a good, stiff (and rather heavy) replacement for him to work from. The spacer adjustable butt plate and cheek pieces will help the feel of the rifle as well as the added weight will help to manage the recoil impulse.

Get a PAST recoil pad for the bench. My 06 is the worst kicking gun I own.
The 308 isn't in the same league with it as far as felt recoil. Either is my STW with
175's. Straight stocks transfer more recoil back and less up.
Use the PAST on the bench so he doesn't develop a flinch, in the field he'll
never feel or hear a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> LMFAO.

Maybe because I've seen people of much smaller stature use the M1 Garands we gave them (in some cases, after shortening the stocks to accomodate them). </div></div> <span style="font-style: italic"> Diablo</span>

Thats not really a good comparison.....A M1 garand weights around 10 lbs. if I'm not mistaken and it's also a semi-automatic rifle which eats up a ton of the recoil to cycle the action.

I too have a light wight 30-06 and it seems to kick worse than almost every rifle that I've shot including 300 WM's, 300 WSM's, and even a 375 H&H mag that my buddy owns, although the 375 weights close to a metric ton.

I gotta agree with the idea that he's never going to shoot the rifle well if he is concerned with the recoil.

I shot the same rifle described in the OP monday, zeroed scope for friend that didn't have to to go do it before Deer season. light ass wood stocked no recoil pad etc. put 9 rds or so of 180gr factory ammo down range. it wasn't great but it wasn't devistating. my deer rifle is a lightweight .06 as well but has a muzzle break which helps alot and i shoot 150gr handloads down it. I'm 165lbs 6' tall so not that big either. Get some lighter ammo, recoil pad if needed and learn to take the recoil. I think its something you get used to and overcome. or buy a .22 shoot it for a while till ready to step back up.

Buddy of mine got a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 and the damned thing kicked like a mule. I've been shooting all my life and my other two buddies .50 were more pleasant to shoot this 30-06. He put a muzzle brake on it and it now barely kicks more than my .308. KEEP THE RIFLE AND GET A BRAKE !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris19210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said the 308 isn't going to be much of a difference you may drop down to a 6.5x47 lapua or 260 rem if your shoulders or sensitive. You might try holding the rifle firm against your shoulder this makes it feel more like a push than a kick. If you decide to keep it try a different recoil pad, or a heavier stock. If you have a cheap plastic stock they aren't very forgiving...but if your planning on doing lr shooting you need an adequate stock. The 6.5 are by far a better cartridge for long range shooting due to their high bc's and mild recoil. </div></div>

It sounds counter intuitive, but hold the rifle very hard against your shoulder. If you do not, it will build up speed and hit you hard. Tighter the better.

Shot a buddy's Browning A Bolt in 3006. It had the worst recoil impulse I ever felt. It was way worse than any 3006 or 308 I ever shot. He shortened the stock and put sort of "magic" recoil pad on it. It still hurt. We think it was just the way that A Bolt stock was setup. I would have been tempted to try a new stock, but he sold it.

Screw a brake..... get a rifle heavy enough to be worth a F. Lightweight rifles suckkk. Not as accurate. Most likely have a terrible stock. More recoil. barrel heats up fast. pencil thin barrel. this is making me sick kaldfs;ja

30-06 isn't bad I've run 50+ round 3 gun stages with my M1Garand (bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang PING!!!!) and lived to talk about it, I'm only 5'7" and at the tiem weighed about 160.

it's also bad if your using bad positioning on the bench. get a recoil pad, or put a rolled up towel in between you and the gun and you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Screw a brake..... get a rifle heavy enough to be worth a F. Lightweight rifles suckkk. Not as accurate. Most likely have a terrible stock. More recoil. barrel heats up fast. pencil thin barrel. this is making me sick kaldfs;ja </div></div>

if one is looking for a <span style="text-decoration: underline">regular</span> shooting rifle than I completly agree with you sir; heavier rifles/barrels are stedier and more accurate and recoil is definatly tamer. however when looking for good hunting rifle weight is factor. I hunt to mountains of WNC. I'll cover miles and miles while hunting up and down mountains. my big heavy ass .308 stays at home, my ultralight weight .06 is the to go to gun. but when going to the range to shoot, my .308 shines. the .06 only gets shot before season to confirm zero, poss diff load etc..... JMHO