• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed power for out to 1250yrds

diriel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2005
CA
Topic say it. For 1 gal milk jugs at about 800 to 1250 or so what fixed power would you consider?

I will be rebarreling my savage fairly soon to 300 win mag. Using the 210smk or 208 Amax, win brass, win lrm primers, and H1000. Tube probably will be 26" Krieger AMU with 10flute. They actually have a reamer set up for the 300 win mag that is throated for the 210smk! I was jazzed to find out about that!

Gary

Re: Fixed power for out to 1250yrds

I was just shooting milk jugs and orange juice containers earlier today at 1,000 and 1,360 yards. Scope was a US Optics 3.2-17x variable and I found it to be sufficient. Targets were getting fairly small at the longer distance though.

That being the case, I would suggest at least a 15x scope for what you are asking.

HTH

i had an old man out shot me at the last 1,000 yard match using a fixed 10X nf scope
he made it look easy
a good quality 10X - 17X will do the trick for you

good glass makes all the difference at that point..I ran a SS 10x to 1080 a few times with good luck, I can only imagine better glass would make it even easier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: invictus maneo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good glass makes all the difference at that point..I ran a SS 10x to 1080 a few times with good luck, I can only imagine better glass would make it even easier </div></div>

SS10x42<span style="font-weight: bold">HD</span>

The new HD is not just better optically, it is better mechanically too. The HD does not share any common componets with the original 10x42 and is made in a different factory.

Not a huge fan of fixed powers in most situations, but I run a 32x Mark 4 on my F/TR rig and it works fine for me. Wouldn't use it for anything but KD ranges and stationary targets.

SS 10x42HD is a nice choice. I have one, but I have not tried it at 1000 yards (yet). I have no problem resolving 10-12" targets at 700 yards with it.

If you want a little more magnification, there are a few good options:

SWFA SS 16x42
Leupold FX-3 12x40
Sightron S2 Big Sky 12x42
IOR Valdada 16x42

There there are the scopes with really high magnification designed for benchrest, like the various 36x42 and similar, but they have somewhat limited utility.

I would probably go for a design that is somewhere between 10x and 16x in magnification.

ILya

Thanks,

I was thinking and leaning towards something between 10x and 17x actually. I 100% agree that the best resolution you can afford makes a huge difference! This will be a field rifle, but a longer range one to be sure. Short range "Fast" shots would be around 400 yards, and those would be uncommon. Most days 600+++ is where I really enjoy playing around these days.

I am working on wind reading, and improving my milling, both of which are weak. Calm days are easy enough generally, but when the wind starts to kick
smile.gif
Gosh I bet more than a few of you have heard that one a few thousand times! That being said, I am not exactly terrible. Just that a good friend of mine who was an army green sniper in nam is still *MUCH* better than I am. Ever so often when Time Permits, we get together and he works with me on improving. In between those times I am expected to get some good trigger time
smile.gif
So, I work at learning and improving.

Everyone has to have a hobby, Mine happens to be shooting.

Thanks again,
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: invictus maneo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good glass makes all the difference at that point..I ran a SS 10x to 1080 a few times with good luck, I can only imagine better glass would make it even easier </div></div>

SS10x42<span style="font-weight: bold">HD</span>

The new HD is not just better optically, it is better mechanically too. The HD does not share any common componets with the original 10x42 and is made in a different factory. </div></div>

Not to hijack this thread, but is there any plans of a SF model in HD?