• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing FL Hog Hunting with Desert Eagle 50AE

Cantstop

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Im going hog hunting this coming weekend for the first time with my brother a couple hours north near the Lake. My primary weapon is my DE 50AE...I will be firing 300JHP xtp.

2 questions:

How crucial is shot placement?
What kind of range do I have to still have a good kill?

I choose the lighter grain in comparison to the 350 grain for velocity. Any thoughts?

Re: FL Hog Hunting with Desert Eagle 50AE

Is there ever a time when shot placement isn't crucial when hunting? Especially when large animals with tusks are involved at handgun range?
confused.gif

You should be fine with the 300 grain XTP's for as far as you can make a good shot.

Back of the head, just like the rifle shooters do it. Otherwise you'll probably be looking for a pissed off hog.

Im not sure if we will be using Dogs or Spotting with buggie, either way, Im pumped. I dont have a scope my my DE, but feel confident w shot placement up to 20yards. My brother will have an LMT chambered in 6.8spc. I dont know how close we will get, but I will let you know

If you don't have dogs holding them youll have to play the wind to get into pistol range. And shot placement is always important on a hog. Unless they are small, I always head shoot them. Between the eyes or behind the ear. Good luck, I just put two down on Sunday.
Eric

Headshots are the most important. Remember to aim for the eyes, or ears. If you can't then aim for the front shoulders. Hogs can't move very well without them. No other hits from behind the shoulders, to the ass end will have any effect.

Keep in mind that these things, especially the big ones, are tanks once they charge. I filled a charging boar up with 3 1/2 inch, 00 buck, and he still ran 1/4 of a mile from where I shot him before finally bleeding out.

Your choice for 300 grain, over 350 grain, is a smart choice, because the felt recoil for the DE is already high, and the higher you get in bullet size, the larger recoil you feel.

If your going to keep hunting with a pistol, which is a great way to hunt by the way, then consider a future purchase for a revolver. On the same side of the same dime I will say that I did know a guy that used a .22, to good effect, when going after hogs, and I have taken hogs with a M4 copy to great effect. It's not caliber, but shot placement. Try and get to a range before you go hunting, and it will help when you go looking for a new set of tusks.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Your 50 AE is more than sufficient. We kill them with 9mm, 45, 10mm, knives, spears, etc. Have been charged a good many times and learned that pigs, when in a full run, are not that great at changing direction. If you are going to get run over... simply step to one side or the other. If he comes in slow, he is going to try and jack you up so keep shooting till it stops or get on top of a root ball, stump, etc. Like everyone else said, shot placement it important no matter what caliber you have so with that in mind, I would get as close as possible. Have fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have dogs holding them youll have to play the wind to get into pistol range. And shot placement is always important on a hog. Unless they are small, I always head shoot them. Between the eyes or behind the ear. Good luck, I just put two down on Sunday.
Eric </div></div>

True story on the wind. I went hog hunting for the first time last weekend with my brand new 308. Did not even get a shot off all weekend. One hunter at the camp I was at got 20 hogs in 9 days from the wallow I was nested in behind, but he had calm and mild conditions. I had record cold and winds averaging 20+ mph in multiple directions. I know they are there, I would find tracks in my boot prints from the night before every morning. Very frustrating, they could smell us a mile a way and they were not moving from the thicket.

I have been meaning to update this thread on our trip! We had two hogs bagged in 2 hours! My brother clipped the first hog about 65yards out in a full sprint. He shot his LMT 6.8 spc with the red dot. We then let the dogs out, and two hounds bayed up my hog under a tree, which allowed to get about 15 yards. Go down on a knee, and hit him head on in the eye. Dropped instantly with the 50ae 300 xtp jhp. It was awesome!! We Are planning the next trip now!