• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flying with a Bolt Gun

Avi8tor100

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
good morning,

Im attending the Guardian Long range comp in December (can't wait). Since its my first match ill be flying too, Im looking for some guidance on a rifle case that I can fly with that's under the 62 inch mark but will still fit my PRS rifle. I've tried to do some hard digging but having trouble finding one that I don't have to pay extra money for oversized baggage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I flew with a pelican 1750 but I had to pay extra. Worked great. Not sure what the external length is.

Reactions: AwesomeDude
I have a Pelican 1750 also. Its very heavy (to me, at least) but has wheels and is a frakin tank of a solid case. Not sure that even the gorillas of the airline baggage handling could harm it.

Outside dimensions are:
Exterior (L×W×D) 53.00 x 16.00 x 6.12 in

good morning,

Im attending the Guardian Long range comp in December (can't wait). Since its my first match ill be flying too, Im looking for some guidance on a rifle case that I can fly with that's under the 62 inch mark but will still fit my PRS rifle. I've tried to do some hard digging but having trouble finding one that I don't have to pay extra money for oversized baggage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What are you putting in it that you want 5’ case? This has a 54” interior dimension. I don’t use the foam. I load up a drag bag and just lock it up inside.

Reactions: RedTimber
What are you putting in it that you want 5’ case? This has a 54” interior dimension. I don’t use the foam. I load up a drag bag and just lock it up inside.

I have my PRS rifle. I could do that for sure too. I'm trying to stay under 62 overall (LxWxH) so I don't have to pay for the extra baggage fee if I can.

Why not, and why would your zero change? Have you ever tried it? I have, a lot.
Not saying it would but why risk it. I’ve done it a lot myself. It’s obviously optic dependent using good equipment etc etc. but why put another layer in there.

I’ve never been charged for oversize with a 1750 on Southwest. What airline are you flying?

Unfortunately, when you have a ~50” long rifle, a 2” wide scope, and 8” total high from the tip of the buttstock to the top of the scope, and you want at least an inch of padding/shell on each side, you’re over the 62” limit already.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Not saying it would but why risk it. I’ve done it a lot myself. It’s obviously optic dependent using good equipment etc etc. but why put another layer in there.

Well, because it makes air travel with a rifle a lot less of a pain in the ass, it doesn't cause any problems, and it can be argued that your rifle is actually safer, as it is now a shorter lever for stress to act on. All else being equal, a shorter case is stiffer than a longer case, and the stress of case flex is imparted onto your rifle inside. Baggage handlers do not get more careful when they see a rifle case, my case showed up in Sydney, Australia with all latches sprung and nothing but padlocks holding it together. On that occasion I was glad that the action was out of the stock, because an unlatched Pelican case will flex a whole lot. I also carry zip ties in my pocket since then, and run them through the padlock holes after TSA does their inspection to hopefully prevent that from happening again. If your rifle can't have the action removed from the stock without losing zero, you've got other issues to deal with.

Last edited:

good morning,

Im looking for some guidance on a rifle case that I can fly with that's under the 62 inch mark but will still fit my PRS rifle
Basically, you need a folded or disassembled rifle.

AFAIK These are the only cases that fit the flight restriction (=all carbine cases).

Protector 1700 35"
Air 1615 29"
Storm 3100 36"

Or you need to a sporting goods exemption for your oversize case and for the airline to waive fees (depends on airline).

These are all "slightly" oversized luggage but relatively manageble to transport with folded stocks etc.

Protector 1715 (42")
Storm 3200 (44")
Nanuk 990 (44")

Here is the storm 3200 set up for AI folding rifle system (courtesy of Mile HIgh)

2016-08-07_10.00.24__99393.1502215642.jpg

Beyond that you are looking at Peli 1750 and 1770 etc
...significantly oversize and very large/heavy form factors.

I have traveled via plane CONUS and OCONUS for competitions. I use a Pelican case with about 40” internal length and remove action from stock, remove sights, and trigger. I used an aluminum chassis and currently use a laminated wood stock with a V-block. No issues with zeros.

When traveling to shoot at new locations, other variables are of greater concern such as Changes in elevation above sea-level.

I doubt it would be any less expensive, but you can legally ship to yourself interstate.

I've had great luck using a hard golf bag case. (SKB I think)
It's lockable, has wheels, will hold 3 rifles in soft cases and doesn't draw unwanted attention.
I pack clothing around them for added protection and to free up space in my carry on.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
What locks are y'all using to secure your cases when flying? Do they have to be TSA approved locks or can I use the infinite locks I have at work that would work perfect for this.

What locks are y'all using to secure your cases when flying? Do they have to be TSA approved locks or can I use the infinite locks I have at work that would work perfect for this.
Do NOT use TSA locks. It’s usually an airline rule that you secure the case with non-TSA locks. On rifle cases, use at least 2 padlocks to which only you have a key. I always put a strip of painters tape on the exterior of the case with my name and phone number in the event the case has to be opened after the TSA check-in for some reason.

Reactions: Krob95
Do NOT use TSA locks. It’s usually an airline rule that you secure the case with non-TSA locks. On rifle cases, use at least 2 padlocks to which only you have a key. I always put a strip of painters tape on the exterior of the case with my name and phone number in the event the case has to be opened after the TSA check-in for some reason.
Thank you! I'll probably just use a set of ABUS locks. Ill definitely be writing my contact info on the case, thank you again!