• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Flying with suppressors

bjw182005

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2013
I purchased a couple suppressors through the silencer shop direct program and the only FFL in the area that could facilitate the transfer is roughly 8 hours away. Approval should be sometime between now and Feb 15 based on current information posted. With poor weather conditions, driving to get them would likely be a shitty trip.

I could fly into an airport nearby and drive ten mins to the FFL get them and get back on a return flight and save quite a bit of time and frustration. What are the rules/processes for traveling with suppressors? Is it the same as traveling with a firearm? Locked case in checked luggage? Curious as to if anyone feels this would be a bad idea? I would like to make this process as easy as possible, but also would hate to see two brand new suppressors "go missing" while traveling home. Thoughts? Thanks.

It's the same as flying with a firearm, a suppressor in that context is considered a firearm.

Now, the problem, the odds are against the TSA or the Gate Agent knowing the first thing about it.

I have flew with suppressors by themselves, I wrap the can in the paperwork and put it in the checked bags. You can declare them (I have done it both ways) and hope they know there is virtually no difference.

My advice, bring a rifle and put them in the case with the rifle, it will go much smoother that way. Then just fly as normal. Declare the firearm, ignore the cans, (wrap them in paperwork) and move on home.

It's the same as flying with a firearm, a suppressor in that context is considered a firearm.

Now, the problem, the odds are against the TSA or the Gate Agent knowing the first thing about it.

I have flew with suppressors by themselves, I wrap the can in the paperwork and put it in the checked bags. You can declare them (I have done it both ways) and hope they know there is virtually no difference.

My advice, bring a rifle and put them in the case with the rifle, it will go much smoother that way. Then just fly as normal. Declare the firearm, ignore the cans, (wrap them in paperwork) and move on home.

This. No issues ever - keep the cans wrapped in their paperwork, let them check your firearms and be on your way. Like all security check points. Raising verbal issue with your material will only draw unwanted attention to yourself.

I figured it would be the same process as flying with a firearm and have done so a number of times on .mil orders, but rarely with my personal firearms. I have no issue with their processes, just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and that my new cans don't go missing.

I forgot to add that the airport I would be flying into and out of is out of state (by about 5 mins). Does this matter? Is there a need to file the paperwork for out of state transfer? Can I even do so prior to taking possession?

Go to the particular airline's website or TSA's research their policies. I have seen Suppressors listed as firearms, print two copies (one in the case with the suppressers and one with you.) No need to bring a long gun when their policies allow it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412901724.061598.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412901735.376448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suppressors are firearms, by ATF definition, and i would treat them just like flying with a pistol. small pelican case, regular pad lock (not a tsa lock) and you keep the key. last time i flew was with southwest they didnt want to look at anything just needed to tape the firearm form to case and it went back in my checked bag. Obviously id have a copy of the stamp with you as a carry on and keep another with the cans.

this can all vary depending on the personnel working, but most seem to be comfortable with it all. i would call your specific airline directly and they will give you the play by play.

i personally wouldnt risk taking a rifle along just to conceal suppressors.

i would call your specific airline directly and they will give you the play by play.

Everything else you posted is spot on. However don't call them and later all you can say is he said she said. Go to the TSA web site( like the pics I posted above) Enter Silencer in the search and print the three pages, then go the the website of the airline you are using and print and follow their policy's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying with the cans shouldn't be an issue unless the airport/TSA staff you deal with make it one. Like others have said, just check TSA and airline regs and stick to them.

On a side note, how was your experience with silencer shop direct? It seems easier and cheaper.

Im assuming local gun stores could facilitate your tax stamp due to the complex nature of paperwork. If your suppressors get their tax stamps, why cant they then ship to a local gun store? They will get booked in and out like a regular firearm