• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fn spr a2

long range sponge

Not quite OAF, more App-erator AF
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Springfield OH
Looking for help. I know exactly ZERO about these rifles. How smooth is the bolt? Are they known for decent accuracy? I do know that lots of smiths work on them. I have a guy that is contemplating trading his FN for my LMT MRP. Mine is one of the police trade ins from Colonial Armory a couple years ago. Any advice or words of wisdom are appreciated.

I have shot 3 different A2 and all 3 would shoot in the .3s with hand loads, my friend bought one years ago and when we sighted it in it printed a 1/2 inch group at 200 yards with Black Hills 175. Will all of them shoot like that I have no idea but that one did once, it is now a 260 but I would not be afraid of them they are good solid rifles. As far as the action it was alright my Surgeon is smoother as it should be but it is not bad after you put 7 or 8000 rounds through it you wont care anyway.

4,000 plus rounds on my A1 ( only difference between the A2 and the A1 is the stock) and its still a 1/2 moa rifle with handloads or FGMM. Action takes a few hundred rounds to really smooth out but you will be happy with it.

I've had mine for over 12 years with close to 7000 rounds through it, still shoots is the high .2's regularly. The action is smoother than the one on my custom build partly due to the high round count I'm sure. Hands down my favorite precision rifle. You won't regret having one.

I shot out the chrome lined barrel in my .308 SPR A1 in 8k rounds. Averaged .5 moa throughout its life with many .1 & .2 handloaded groups sprinkled in. Great rifle, you won't be disappointed.
Only downside as far as I can tell is the barrel needs an extractor cut when chambering, complicating barrel changes.

Thanks folks. This rifle will replace my Savage 10t. I put the savage in a Manners and LOVE the stock. Just hate the ridiculous bolt lift on Savage rifles and I don't know how well the bolt lift kits work. Handled a Tikka a few months ago and fast became a slick bolt lover. I'm probably going to trade for the FN and sell the savage to fund a CTR or HMR in 6.5.

My FN SPR-A1 in 308 I like, however its the heaviest rifle I own. It heavier than a lot of them out there in a rem 700 style platform. Now mine is a magazine not a floor plate model. Most floor plate models I seen were more accurate models than mine from the factory. I'm going to add a cdi bottom metal and bed it to improve it. Been meaning to do it for awhile need to get it done. Forgot to add not added a aftermarket trigger yet was planning on a Timney. I had also had McMillian add a adjustable cheek rest on it but when they did it was made of aluminum and did not like that. It also was filled when they installed it and it added more weight to back end kind of balanced it some but its still more weight not crazy about it. I wished I just stuck to my tab cheek rest I had on it,lol. I need cdi bottom metal and bed it to improve it some. I almost cut it down to 20" but didn't due to the chrome plating in the barrel. I do like the shorter 20" ones. I had a deal that fell through years ago on a 7mm wsm that the guy backed out of would have loved to gotten ahold of it.

Last edited:
My FN SPR-A1 in 308 I like, however its the heaviest rifle I own. It heavier than a lot of them out there in a rem 700 style platform. Now mine is a magazine not a floor plate model. Most floor plate models I seen were more accurate models than mine from the factory. I'm going to add a cdi bottom metal and bed it to improve it. Been meaning to do it for awhile need to get it done.
+1 on the weight, mine weighed just over 20 lbs with the original Macmillan stock (can't remember the model) and optics. I've recently changed the optic/rings and put it in and XLR chassis and brought the weight down to something around 17 or so pounds. When I rebarrel it I'm going with a heavy Palma cut down to either 22 or 24 in which will shave close to another pound off vs the original M40 profile.

My SPR A1 shoots well. My handloads stay in the .3 to.5 range depending on amax vs eld vs matchking. It is remarkable consistent. The action is the same as a pre-64 Winchester. It's smooth. Mine is easy to clean and easy to shoot well. My scores improved by 3 point when I switched from my Remington in F T/R. Only down side is not a huge aftermarket but it's bot needed. My factory trigger adjusted down to 2# and still passes by safety test. The stock is good. A DBM is available which is the one thing I want.
Only​​​​​​ rifle I would consider in the same range would be a CTR and I still think the FN is better with the heavier barrel and more ridged action.
Get it. You will be happy.

+1 on the weight, mine weighed just over 20 lbs with the original Macmillan stock (can't remember the model) and optics. I've recently changed the optic/rings and put it in and XLR chassis and brought the weight down to something around 17 or so pounds. When I rebarrel it I'm going with a heavy Palma cut down to either 22 or 24 in which will shave close to another pound off vs the original M40 profile.

Mine is 16 pounds with bipod and a HDMR. What did you strap to it for the extra weight. I'm not being a ass, but mine out of the box weighed 12 pounds. Harris bipod and HDMR make it 16 and some change. My rifle gets weighed often for matches. Maybe McMillan put some stocks out with sniper fill?

Mine is 16 pounds with bipod and a HDMR. What did you strap to it for the extra weight. I'm not being a ass, but mine out of the box weighed 12 pounds. Harris bipod and HDMR make it 16 and some change. My rifle gets weighed often for matches. Maybe McMillan put some stocks out with sniper fill?

Mine originally had the McMillan stock with the square blocky fore end and the off hand hook, I've sold the stock and cant remember what the weight was but I do remember when I weighted it against the chassis is was right at two pounds heavier. I also originally had a nightforce nsx 5.5-22x56 and badger max 50 rings. The rings alone weigh close to a pound. Now it has aluminum TPS rings and a vortex gen 2 pst. I've had it close to 15 years and have no idea what fill was in the stock or if they have made them lighter over the years.

I wasn't trying to imply you where incorrect. Both the rings and scope are definitely heavy. My personal bare rifle weighs about 2 pounds more than a older Remington 700 VS. The FN is for sure a heavier rifle but I don't think it's over weight for my uses (mid range matches, stand deer hunting, coyote calling, and long range steel plinking) but a walking around rifle it isn't.
Back to the Op, they are damned good rifles and I think they are more consistently accurate than remingtons, more durable than savage and I personally like them better thank the Tikka. Also they have been recently been discontinued. May be the last chance for one.

I wasn't trying to imply you where incorrect. Both the rings and scope are definitely heavy. My personal bare rifle weighs about 2 pounds more than a older Remington 700 VS. The FN is for sure a heavier rifle but I don't think it's over weight for my uses (mid range matches, stand deer hunting, coyote calling, and long range steel plinking) but a walking around rifle it isn't.
Back to the Op, they are damned good rifles and I think they are more consistently accurate than remingtons, more durable than savage and I personally like them better thank the Tikka. Also they have been recently been discontinued. May be the last chance for one.
No offense taken fella it was a valid question. Even against my custom match rifle, the FN is still my favorite. When I rebarrel it I may just sell my match rifle.

Them some strong words! Selling a custom over factory? Better than Tikka? Lol. This is the learnin' I was hoping for. Thanks to all who have helped enlighten me thus far.

Them some strong words! Selling a custom over factory? Better than Tikka? Lol. This is the learnin' I was hoping for. Thanks to all who have helped enlighten me thus far.

I don't have any experience with a Tikka but yes sir it may just be I've had so long and am just comfortable with it but once it rebarreled I will probably use it as my main match rifle and either sell the other one keep it as a back up

A solid rifle that is very accurate if the shooter knows what he is doing. Arguably the barrel twist for the older versions (1:12) isn't ideal for heavier loads (180gr and up), though the new FN SPR a5 xp seems to address this with a 1:10 twist rate. That aside, the rifle is well-made, comes with a decent though heavy stock, a good 20 MOA rail, chrome-lined barrel, optional detachable magazine. You can find older SPR's for at or under $1k, and I think Tactical Coordination is still selling old unused stock for a bit over $1.1k. I wouldn't shy away from getting one at around those prices. Sub MOA is easily achievable with factory loads, 3/4 to 1/2 MOA with hand loads. It's about as good a factory .308 rifle as you're going to find out there.

Well I'm not sure the deal is going through. The initial conversation appeared to be an even trade. I came across his listing on Armslist and it's listed for $1500 OBO. When I asked if he had decided on whether or not to make the swap, "Got anything else to throw in to even things out?" SMH... Oh well. I'm still gonna look for one. I did see the sale by Tac Coord. and may try to snag one from them. Especially if I can get one for the 4th of July sale price.

Well I'm not sure the deal is going through. The initial conversation appeared to be an even trade. I came across his listing on Armslist and it's listed for $1500 OBO. When I asked if he had decided on whether or not to make the swap, "Got anything else to throw in to even things out?" SMH... Oh well. I'm still gonna look for one. I did see the sale by Tac Coord. and may try to snag one from them. Especially if I can get one for the 4th of July sale price.

That's insane, an MWS is worth way more than a FN SPR anyway. I would have been asking for cash from him as you'd be better off selling your rifle for more money and just buying one from tac cord.

They're good rifles for the $$ but I've seen two that didn't shoot well or would shoot ok only sometimes. The three I had (two A1's and an A3G) all shot 1/2moa or so with FGMM. The two A1's would open up quite a bit when the barrel heated up though and the same thing happened with an A2 that belonged to a guy I used to shoot with. There's something about those barrels and holding heat for an unusually long time as well.

Worst case scenario you rebarrel it and you still have a good value. They are great actions and the A4 is my second favorite McMillan stock only to the A5.

That said, right now it's a buyers market (especially for 308's) so I'd snag a deal on a used rifle in the classifieds on here.

I also bought a used A1 that was a disappointing shooter. Did pretty well with 168's but I hate 168's. Mr Young plumbed up a new Rock which he chambered in 7saum for me. It is now my favorite or at least near favorite rifle. Would buy another in a heart beat.

redneckbmxer24 I was trading an MRP not an MWS. You had me worried I didn't state that in the original post. Lol. I figured I was getting the better end of the deal with a straight up trade. Even wondered if it was because his rifle didn't shoot too well.

2 birds with one post. Here's a pic of his FN for ya 2c1fr. And, now that he's held out, taken it to a LGS to see what trade value he can get, he wants to trade straight up. WINNER! Who do y'all recommend to have it rebarreled to a creedmoor. And 6mm or 6.5?? Scope and rings not included btw.

Attachments

• photo65671.jpg
    photo65671.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 45
2 birds with one post. Here's a pic of his FN for ya 2c1fr. And, now that he's held out, taken it to a LGS to see what trade value he can get, he wants to trade straight up. WINNER! Who do y'all recommend to have it rebarreled to a creedmoor. And 6mm or 6.5?? Scope and rings not included btw.

Mark @ Short Action Customs, Josh @ Patriot Valley Arms or Chad @ Long Rifles Inc will take good care of you. The caliber choice is up to you. 6.5 will last you a while longer. How far you looking to shoot? Running this in comps?

BTW, that's not an A2, that's an A1

Last edited:
I had looked online and the stocks didn't vibe!! Maybe some day I'll shoot some club matches. I'll likely go 6.5 and just save pennies for a 6mm RPR.

Other than the stock are there any major differences between the a1 & a2? Should I be aware of anything? I actually like the a1 stock better. As long as the actions are the same I'm still gonna make the trade.

Other than the stock are there any major differences between the a1 & a2? Should I be aware of anything? I actually like the a1 stock better. As long as the actions are the same I'm still gonna make the trade.

The barreled action between the a1 and a2 are identical. It's just that the a2 comes with an adjustable McMillan A4 stock while the a1 is a McMillan A3.

The actions are the same regardless of A1-A5 , mine is in a A-4 stock and for me it's GTG , most user friendly action I've ever used . When the factory barrel goes south I'll most likely go 6.5 CM or 7mm SAW but that is more than a year away at my rate of fire ( damn job gets in the way of all my fun ! ) or I'll consider the next great thing that comes down the pike !.
The 1n12 twist on mine handles 155 through 178 grain projectiles just fine although some require single loading instead of magazine length hand loads for best accuracy .
I would not hesitate to buy another action to build a future project , too bad FN decided to go another way !

PS , as others have mentioned the CDI bottom metal is a better option than the factory BM as it can allow 2.950" COAL for your hand loads and other than factory magazines !
FWIW