• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FNH FNX 45 Tactical - Good Gun? vs G20/21

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Thinking about the FNX 45 tactical for a woods defense gun for 2 legged (Sasquatch) and 4 legged critters. I'm thinking about putting a 460 Rowland conversion on it. There isn't a whole lot out there about this gun since it is relatively new. Any info you guys could provide is appreciated.

Aftermarket parts seem sparse - is this something that may become more readily available as the years go by? Don't see any aftermarket triggers for them.

Other candidates are the G20 and G21 - Pros = tons of aftermarket, reliable; cons = huge grip & maybe worse trigger

I am partial to my FNX 45 Tac, it is actually my new favorite out of my entire collection. At first is seems large, but the grip is great and I have small hands, handles recoil amazingly well. It doesn't really need any aftermarket, they give you it all right out the door. The trigger is not a match trigger, but in SA the trigger is good. You can't do a trigger job on it, the trigger is a modular group not meant to be disassembled. It is also very complicated with all the functions of the decocker/safety. I doubt there will ever be an aftermarket. When firing the FNX fast, you can't tell that the trigger isn't a match trigger. I'll shoot it side by side with my Sig SAO Elite, with a 1.5lb trigger, zero creep. It frustrates me as I shoot the FNX better faster than the Sig with it's amazing trigger.

These are 2 very different guns. The stock glock trigger is worse than the FNX, the glock with a well done trigger job, would have a bit less pretravel than the FNX. I still consider glock triggers poor when compared to an APEX in any M&P.

I own a FNX also (not tac version)an mine trumps all the G21's an 1911a1's I've ever owned. Softest shooting 45ACP I've ever shot, an it shot a 25 yd possible, right from the box.

I own a FNX also (not tac version)an mine trumps all the G21's an 1911a1's I've ever owned. Softest shooting 45ACP I've ever shot, an it shot a 25 yd possible, right from the box.

Awesome to hear. Forgive me - what is a 25 yard possible?

I have fnx tactical and glock 21 and like the FN better. love the Decocker on Fn . Fn is my second favorite next to Ed brown custom 1911 I had made.

I don't know either, but it's better than a 25yd impossible.

I too love the FNX. I have a big YHM .45 can on it, and an RMR, and the bulls-eye is effortless unless you push way out there. It is the softest shooting (fastest rapid fire/mag dump), and with the can on perfectly balanced, .45 I own as well. It is a huge duty weapon though. I had to have a kydex holster made cut for the RMR, but they might make one now. It is not a disappointing pistol, and I have about a dozen nice Government pistols including a Gold Cup, and a Trophy Match.

Awesome to hear. Forgive me - what is a 25 yard possible?
A possible is when you shoot the max score, ie number of rds shot vs max target value for each rd. For the old pistol match's we shot, rapid fire was 5rds in 10 seconds at 25yds, an slow fire was 5 rds in 1 minute. Max score "possible" score at 25 yds was 100 points. My FNX did it right out of the box with room on the target to spare. First score was 100 w/ 9x's.

How would you guys say the FNX is as far as reliability when compared to a Glock?

The Fnx has one issue to get past and once past it, just a reliable. Some of them require a break in of the recoil spring, it is overbuild and designed for high pressure ammo. Example for the 460 Rowland, I believe it is the only Pistol Rowland uses the factory barrel and extends the chamber, all others are custom barrels.

The spring is designed for military or + P 45, therfore some require leaving the slide locked back for 1 week or to 4 wks. Once the spring is broken in, good to go. If you shoot super hot 45, then no need to break in.

Anybody know why the FNX has a hammer as opposed to the I believe more reliable striker fire?

Just because it has fewer parts? Because Glockfanboiz say so? Junk striker fire is as unreliable as junk hammer fire. Any pistol can have FTF, FTE. Most can be made to fail if you limp wrist it (including Glocks). I don't own a Glock that has never had a malfunction on the line even if it was ammunition related or whatever. People on the internet who say their Glock has never failed to go bang don't shoot thousands and thousands of rounds, and probably aren't very good with it to begin with. No pistol is perfect. It is made by men. They all break.

A hammer allows for a single action trigger. I know of only one Walther that is single action striker fire (and it didn’t sell well). The rest are all double action even if the striker is put partially into battery by the action of the slide. You are still pulling back the striker when you pull the trigger. The best possible trigger job on a striker fire is still mushy, slack crap to me.

Now, clearly you can learn to shoot it, and become great with it. It's not any different than bench rest and PRS. You don't need a ton of accuracy to shoot defensively or to play IDPA. You don't see many people running a striker in bulls eye, because they're not very accurate, but you do see hammer guns in IDPA (though Glocks rule).

I probably have fifty handguns. 90% are hammer fire, and none are unreliable. This is pure marketing that a striker is any more reliable. It's mainly because Glocks are simple and well made that people think this.

I have five Glocks, and one of my 17s has a full Ghost Trigger rebuild. It's vastly superior to factory, but it still completely sucks compared to the FNX simply for the fact that it's double action. Now, the FNX isn't a Loaded Springer or a Gold Cup, with a trigger that breaks like a glass rod, but just the fact that it's a true single action makes it feel vastly superior.

Lots of people don't give a damn, and are fine with a sloppy, slack, mushy trigger, and can shoot the hell out of it. I can certainly shoot it too, but I shoot a SA pistol much better. It's no different than DA on a revolver, and cocking the hammer to shoot SA. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not.

On a giant duty pistol like the FNX, which started as a military contract that wasn't picked up, I think they wanted SA and a hammer because it was probably going to be carried by people who were actually going to use it as a primary weapon (and might need to hit a target at distance) rather than a sidearm or for purely defensive use. At least that's what makes sense to me. I would not have purchased it if it was striker fire. I'd just have gotten another Glock.

I bought mine because I drew out a Government M I wanted to have built for me. I slid my paper across the table to the gunsmith with all the features I wanted listed on it. He looked it over, smiled at me, and slid the paper back to me and said, "FN makes it".

Just because it has fewer parts? Because Glockfanboiz say so? Junk striker fire is as unreliable as junk hammer fire. Any pistol can have FTF, FTE. Most can be made to fail if you limp wrist it (including Glocks). I don't own a Glock that has never had a malfunction on the line even if it was ammunition related or whatever. People on the internet who say their Glock has never failed to go bang don't shoot thousands and thousands of rounds, and probably aren't very good with it to begin with. No pistol is perfect. It is made by men. They all break.

I guess I was thinking SF would be a little better for woods defense, because of the risk of pine needles, dirt, snow, etc getting into the hammer area and potentially obstructing it. I too am not crazy about SF triggers.

Your explanation makes sense. Thank you.

I don't see any videos of guys throwing the FNX into a mud puddle and packing it with dirt and then shooting it like you do with the glocks. I would have to imagine that the FNX is very reliable, if it was made for military use. Do you guys know of any such tests that I could check out?

It is, but stick with Glock if you plan on dragging your pistol through the mud or packing it with dirt and firing it without cleaning it (and stick with AK if it's a rifle). There is no question (at least in my mind) that a contained and captured striker is less prone to fouling than an exposed hammer. It's simply what you're giving up so they'll run with debris in the action.

Anybody know why the FNX has a hammer as opposed to the I believe more reliable striker fire?
Both systems work, no weapon is w/o a failure at some point. There is an advantage to both systems, depending training level. I prefer a hammer, but carry a striker fired for 80% of my CCW. If it's open carry I'll revert to hammer every-time. Those that say a Glock never fails an will always go bang either don't shoot much or are just out right full of shit. I've had a G21, 27, 23, & 35 all fail at some point, but then again I shoot the shit out of them, instead of just talking about them. Anything man made will fail at some point, if you don't believe me just ask NASA, or anyone that builds anything that flys.
There are those who talk about shooting an there are those who shoot. If they have never had a failure they have not shot enough, yet.

New? Unless I am missing something the FNX is just a slightly updated version of the FNP-45 which came out in 2006. I got mine when I was in high school right when they came out; its a very early one and is decocker only-no manual safety. The Tac is just a version with the threaded barrel and machined slide.

I don't know why you are under the impression that strikers are more reliable; I don't like them so all of my handguns have hammers (my CCW has a bobbed hammer). I don't throw them in the mud either, even military personnel are taught to keep their weapons out of the dirt

Reactions: Fig
High School? I thought the age requirement for purchasing handguns was 21...

10, but it was a rifle, and given to me by my father (not purchased by me). In reality, he owned it, I just used it. When I turned 18 (well actually, later since I was already deployed at 18) he gave it to me when I was home on leave.

gun5.jpg

10, but it was a rifle, and given to me by my father (not purchased by me). In reality, he owned it, I just used it. When I turned 18 (well actually, later since I was already deployed at 18) he gave it to me when I was home on leave.

Ok so if you want to describe it that way it was purchased by my dad and used exclusively by me until I turned 21.

I suppose that goes for the 12 gauge I got when I was 12 also.

Was that really necessary? I'd like to think most shooters got their start before turning 18

Reactions: plong
Honestly, I was just curious. I was under the impression that even having a hand gun under the age of 21 required a parent to be present. Nothing implied or insidious intended, when I asked the question.

I think that's probably state dependent. When I went out to my buddy's property when I was younger we'd go out into the woods after squirrels and stuff with pistols

J'ville is a bit more relaxed on the laws than SoCal, so that makes sense...hell, I used to pop rounds off in my back yard, right off of Piney Green Rd and nobody blinked an eye. Of course, that was a fair number of years ago when there wasn't crap there...

J'ville is a bit more relaxed on the laws than SoCal, so that makes sense...hell, I used to pop rounds off in my back yard, right off of Piney Green Rd and nobody blinked an eye. Of course, that was a fair number of years ago when there wasn't crap there...

That was actually in Texas, but J'ville is definitely more relaxed than SoCal. We used to shoot trap in my buddy's backyard (he had a bit of land) in 2014 when I was first stationed there. I'll be content to not get stationed in Cali.

Reactions: MarinePMI
0216152026-00.jpggot my fnx 45 on the initial push, 2 per dealer release.
Have enjoyed it since.
Shoots like a Cadillac with the reflex site and a can, 12 inch plates to 40 yards no problem at all.

Drawbacks were combat trigger, no holsters available, (wife made mine).
Setting up the reflex site to co-witness with the irons was a huge PTA!
You have to move the back site to lock the set screws for the reflex and then move it back but it is worth the hassle.
Once set it is a dream to shoot and learning the trigger is not hard.
Remember to bring extra ammo to the range everybody likes to try it out.

Back on topic, I took mine to shoot the qual for my CHL and ended up shooting 1 point away from a possible, they are good shooters.

I would not try to conceal it due to its size though. I got one of the Safariland drop legs for it when they first came out, I don't think the holsters were in production for very long but now that the Tacs are gaining popularity I am sure there are more options out there.

Just read that I could put a 40 Super conversion on it - supposedly just needs the barrel, no spring changes required. Any thoughts on this vs the 460 Rowland?

Buy some premium defense ammo in 45 and save the money for the range.
Maybe if in bear country I would reconsider? I don't know about 45 and bears.
Can shoot it till my wallet gives out without pain in 45.

Buy some premium defense ammo in 45 and save the money for the range.
Maybe if in bear country I would reconsider? I don't know about 45 and bears.
Can shoot it till my wallet gives out without pain in 45.

I will be reloading and the Sasquatch I plan on defending myself from are some of the biggest & meanest critters in the woods. ;)

Reactions: Snuby642
Kinda bummed out. Called EFK Fire Dragon (what a name by the way) and the lady told me that they don't have any 40 super barrels for the FNX and have no plans of making any anytime soon because they sit on the shelf for a year and don't sell. So if anybody wants a barrel - give her a call and let her know so they whip up a batch!

I asked her if they ever made any 460 Rowland barrels and she said that they used to but they stopped. It was really hard on their guns - it would crack the polymer and the people who test fired the guns hated shooting them. I wonder if they were using comps on the guns or not and if they had a buffer. I assume they aren't morons.... but I really can't imagine the recoil from that round being that bad, especially with a comp. Maybe it's just too much for a semi.

Yeah I just keep mine .45. I've never seen .460 Rowland ammo in person and never even heard of a .40 super until this thread

I picked one up about 10 months ago... here is my limited opinions on the pistol.
The positives:
Its big and fits pretty well in the hand. This gives you a great capacity (and more than likely with a suppressor its perfectly matched).
It is an accurate weapon. The fit and finish are nice and has options for a red dot if you upgrade. The night sites are bright and the controls, like the magazine release, is in a pretty comfortable spot.
The negatives:
The downside is that (for me) the safety gets in the way of shooting comfortably. In the up position the safety is perfect, but when the safety is down it is in the way depending on how you use retention or your grip. If there was an aftermarket safety that was a bit smaller or angled it would be perfect for me. I tend to have a higher grip for control so it may vary for you. The trigger is okay but not too crisp.

It takes some practice but once you learn the weapon, it is a nice shooter. Its hard for me since I have an HK USP 45, which I love so I am bias. Good luck in your hunt!
4F1CCC8A-F3CE-4E5F-9B74-7CE328F2C339.jpeg

The downside is that (for me) the safety gets in the way of shooting comfortably. In the up position the safety is perfect, but when the safety is down it is in the way depending on how you use retention or your grip. If there was an aftermarket safety that was a bit smaller or angled it would be perfect for me. I tend to have a higher grip for control so it may vary for you.
You don't ride the safety?

The negatives:
The downside is that (for me) the safety gets in the way of shooting comfortably. In the up position the safety is perfect, but when the safety is down it is in the way depending on how you use retention or your grip. If there was an aftermarket safety that was a bit smaller or angled it would be perfect for me. I tend to have a higher grip for control so it may vary for you. The trigger is okay but not too crisp.

I noticed this too - I felt like the safety should be a little higher. I usually take it off and then tuck my thumb under it - at least that is what I do with my 1911.

I noticed this too - I felt like the safety should be a little higher. I usually take it off and then tuck my thumb under it - at least that is what I do with my 1911.
Now we're really talking crazy, 1911 safeties are meant to have your thumb on top.

Yup. Every handgun where it's physically possible you'll find my thumb above the safety. Many match guns actually have giant safeties specifically to serve as a thumb shelf.

I love 45 acp, but it won't cut the mustard for what I wanna do.
Could be your using the wrong ammo for the task. Look at Underwood ammo, loaded w/ Lehigh bullets. There is not a brain box on this rock, those will bounce off of. The correct projo for most any task can be had these days, as 1911 was 107 years ago.

Riding the safety is ok, but with the decocking safety I have to be a bit careful about my grip not to decock the hammer during the followup shot. So without having to be mindful of that issue I just practice on retention and dropping my thumb under the safety after swiping the safety off. I like the 1911 design where off is off and its nice and solid.

I have a big honking YHM can on mine, and paired with the RMR it has to be one of the most stable and accurate pistols I own that is not a dedicated target, match pistol.

@HUNTERVASSER the HK USP 45 is also a hell of a pistol. I also give it the edge in everything except capacity (which is still great).

Reactions: HUNTERVASSER
I really wanted to like the FNX. It has all the specs I’d wanted. Unfortunately shooting my G21sf back to back with the FNX, I found the recoil AND accuracy to be MUCH more better on the G21. Was shooting my reloads using 230gr HP’s.

Reactions: lawofsavage

I love my FNX 45 Tactical, one of my favorite 45 caliber non-1911 pistols. Some people don't like the 50 shades of FDE, but if you buy a black one, you don't have to worry about that. I've had mine for over a year now, I've added a Streamlight TLR-1 HL, a Vortex Venom and an AAC Ti-Rant 45. I have to agree with plenty of others on here, the grip and the trigger are pretty damn good. Can't go wrong with it, and as the guy at my LGS said when I bought it, "This case is Gucci!" They set you up nicely with the case.

I mean the melonite slide doesn't exactly match the black of the polymer either-that's a nitpick with either color. They are shooters for sure.

I mean the melonite slide doesn't exactly match the black of the polymer either-that's a nitpick with either color. They are shooters for sure.

At least the black is a little more uniform. The slide is a different color from the frame, which is different from the backstraps (which are all different colors), and different from the magazine pad. Hell, even the optic cutout plate is a different color from the slide itself. But I still love it.

I have a Glock and FNX 45 T with a Trijicon RMR. I thought the Glock was the bee's knees until I got the FNX. Love the way it shoots! Extremely accurate, and I was amazed at how light the recoil is. It's pretty pricey compared to the Glock, but if you have the cash do it.

Love the FNX 45 Tac. I have a Fastfire 3 on it and run a Rugged Osprey 45. I will repeat what many have already said, it is smooth shooting, very accurate, and with the can extremely soft shooting. With the dot, 12" plates at 100 yds is almost boring easy. Two friends have went out and bought their own after shooting mine. My buddy ran two mags through it with the can and didn't realize it was a 45 until he went to reload the mags. He thought it was a 9mm with how soft the recoil is with the can on.