• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folder vs non folder options

BILLLONGTHOOTH

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
I am looking at getting a chassis kinda narrowed it down between krg and MDT but the ? That kinda has me puzzled is folder vs non folder but inregards to does this mechanical lockup affect riffle accuracy and will it over time of folding back in forth eventually wear down and create mechanical wobble which eventually will reduce the accuracy of the weapon system ? Guys that have had folders for a long time have you seen this ?

Disclaimer: I do not have a folder, but I’d like one.

The comments I’ve read are that lockup is solid and accuracy is good.

But the comments I’ve read are Also that the only tangible value of the folder is for cleaning and transporting. It’s not much hassle to lower the cheek piece for cleaning, and I don’t shoot suppressed so rifle Overall length isn’t a challenge.

I haven’t seen any comments about wear or durability.

Folder on my mdt has slight wobble if I dont tighten it. But it's very slight and maybe I have an early model. I'd still take it over a non-folder because I cant feel it when shooting, only when tugging and looking for it. Transporting makes life easier as well.

Thats mainly why im looking at the folder is for tranport and cleaning . I have a mcmillian stock now and everytime i need to clean i have to pull the riser off and because of its 26” barrel it barely fits in my drag bag . I wonder if anyone has done Accuracy testing on the folder vs non

But the comments I’ve read are Also that the only tangible value of the folder is for cleaning and transporting.
As someone who has a couple folders, that's been my experience. I have had fantasies of stuffing a folded rifle in a pack or slinging one on my back while I hike/ride/whatever to a location, but reality to this point has been that I can drive right up to where I need to go with my rifle safely contained in a padded hard case.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: sleeplz
I have two MDT folding chassis and 2 non folding. Only benefit is they fit in my safe folded with 26 inch barrels. No issues with lock up.

I have a KRG W3 and it locks up solid. I also have an XLR element 3.0 Magnesium and it has a slight wiggle along the vertical axis. Am very happy with both.

I wonder if anyone has done Accuracy testing on the folder vs non

My AAC-SD has been in both a non-folding stock with a bedding block and a folding AICS chassis, I never saw any accuracy degradation from going from a fixed stock to folding chassis. Even if there was, it'd be difficult to narrow it down to the culprit being the folding mechanism when there's other variables that could come into play.

It's also worth noting that the US Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and SOCOM utilize sniper systems with chassis that have folding stocks. If there was every an entity that was going to test something like that then it'd be the DOD, they got the money to throw at it only to conclude what most already knew, it didn't really matter in the first place as long as you're using quality equipment.

I've had both, found myself using the folder in the begining and then not so much after a while. The extra weight on the Whiskey 3 is what stopped me from getting another one. If my next W3 is a folder the only reason will be "because I already have the fixed version"