• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

Gave some thought to my comment above about the temperature effect on power plants.

The hotter the ambient temperature, the less fuel a coal burner, waste burner or a gas fired plant will use.
It's all about super heating water into high pressure steam to spin the turbine generator.
The hotter the water is at the intake, the less energy required to bring it up to heat.

Yes, I am over simplifying....

Food for thought
pff, they can have a cooling station for a Nuke plant to regulate water temp. If a engineer didn't put one in, then you know, it's not that big of an issue. Just an excuse to cut back on producing power to screw the little guy.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
FUTURES MOVERS

Oil futures climbed on Wednesday to their highest finish since late April, finding support as a smaller-than-expected rise in U.S. consumer prices helped weaken the dollar and OPEC+ supply cuts continued to point to tighter global crude supplies.

DXY

U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) (INDEX)
1689262307450.png

FUTURES MOVERS

Oil futures climbed on Wednesday to their highest finish since late April, finding support as a smaller-than-expected rise in U.S. consumer prices helped weaken the dollar and OPEC+ supply cuts continued to point to tighter global crude supplies.

DXY

U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) (INDEX)
View attachment 8181842
Diesel 3.79..
Costco gas 3.45 (87 octane)

So one day soon, again, we will have to make a choice on whether to use horses for transportation or for food.

Interesting… plenty of food available. Just not affordable To the Nigerian masses.

Sirhr
article states
1) cost of fuel, became unsubsidized, cost went up
2) fertilizer
3) most food in Nigeria comes from small farmers, due to the above issues, they aren't producing (sounds familiar?)
-the government would “immediately release fertilizers and grains to farmers​
- improving irrigation, providing better transportation for food products, making more land available to farmers, and setting up a “National Commodity Board” to “moderate spikes and dips in food prices.”​
Islamic/muzzies/ Boko Haram are attacking the farmers, 35,000 that could be counted
-better security for farmers so they can “return to farmlands without fear of attacks.”​
- agriculture currently accounts for about 35 percent of Nigerian jobs and ambitiously promising to double it to 70 percent “in the long term.”​
IMO Bottom line - too much government dictating regulations.. AND NOT enough government providing protection to the people.​

McDonalds..
Called it, still continues.
2 small apple slices now in a bag, down from 6 -8.
Good news, McD's hasn't raised their prices on this product. :rolleyes:

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
Probably. The largest fertilizer factory on earth is in Africa, and 99% of it is sold to Latin America…
you had me curious, so I looked

In 2021, East Asia was the region with the highest fertilizer production capacity worldwide, accounting for more than 30 percent of production. Eastern Europe and Central Asia followed, with a share of 17 percent.

Here's some cool PDFs

If you want to count bull shit and horse shit.. Washington DC still rules!!

No doubt by region Africa is hind tit. I was just talking about that one big plant in Nigeria that is exporting everything they make and selling nothing locally.

Hey, I'm a capitalist. The people who built the plant did not build it to save Africans from starving. They built it to make money, and with the price of fertilizer going through the roof the African farmers can't afford to buy it...QED.

Government involvement/control is a recipe for corruption and disaster in an advanced/industrialized country. The money is being stolen before the ink is dry. In Africa?

tenor.gif

How many solar panels would it take to keep your food frozen ?
“The pandemic taught consumers to invest in bulk buying,” Sonia Punwani, chief marketing officer of Cargill Protein North America, told CNBC. “Frozen foods were some of the bestselling items during the pandemic since they can be really stored for long periods of time.”

How many solar panels would it take to keep your food frozen ?
“The pandemic taught consumers to invest in bulk buying,” Sonia Punwani, chief marketing officer of Cargill Protein North America, told CNBC. “Frozen foods were some of the bestselling items during the pandemic since they can be really stored for long periods of time.”

If it’s a serious question.

3-6 panels 48v ~350w each.

Edit. The above would be a net zero gain while the freezer is running. Battery capacity would cover non generating time ( night time )due to storage generation when the freezer is not running.

Edit. The above would be a net zero gain while the freezer is running. Battery capacity would cover non generating time ( night time )due to storage generation when the freezer is not running.

Got a couple of serious questions:
How much would this change with the temp setting you think?
If electric is out, I would assume the demand would be higher in the summer in a non-heated house and less in the winter, correct? Thinking about what the load would be in an approx 100 deg summer.
What would the ballpark cost be for such a setup?

Reactions: pabrousseau
Load is the same.

You are talking duty time ( the frequency that the freezer actually runs)

I think what you are asking is more about battery capacity.

The above panels can run the freezer 100% of the time. This is assuming full sun ect.

As to cost?

5k-25k depending on what you are doing.( quality components).

Maybe less if you just want to run a freezer only.

It all depends on the quality of the components.

I'm seeing those panels are 4'x6', without mounting hardware. Does that mean I'll need somewhere between 72 sq/ft to 144 sq/ft minimum to place panels? Is that calc using a prime or sub-optimal sunlight area? (thank you in advance...)

If electric is out, I would assume the demand would be higher in the summer in a non-heated house and less in the winter, correct? Thinking about what the load would be in an approx 100 deg summer.
Great questions.
At my location, about 3 - 4 months the temp would be near 32 degrees or colder. The panels could be used for another appliance.

My 350w panels make 39v and 250w each in the summer heat when the panel temp is 160* - or slightly higher than ambient lately.

Achieving solar output to overcome freezer inefficiency during hot spells is much easier in summer when there is plenty of sun.

Sizing exercise, and larger concern should prirotize how to deliver power to the freezer in the shoulder seasons when solar output is decreased.

I'm seeing those panels are 4'x6', without mounting hardware. Does that mean I'll need somewhere between 72 sq/ft to 144 sq/ft minimum to place panels? Is that calc using a prime or sub-optimal sunlight area? (thank you in advance...)
Did any of the above info answer your question?

Yes sir, ty vm. Do we have any panel efficiency percentages as the panel heats up? I'm betting most of the time my panels would be on the hotter side of the hot spectrum.
The derate for panels will follow this curve regardless of initial panel rating number.
Notice that they don't even include what happens at higher temps - that are normal for around here.... which is more like 70*C.

xantrex_derating.jpg

Reactions: charbroiled
Under size your array by a full panel in reguards to your inverter.

Ie for a 250v input run it at 4 48v panels.

And your peak voltage will be in the winter, all things considered.

Edit: I run 28 of those panels( they might be 380 watt panels that I have). I have my charger limited on how much current it can use. My peak wattage generated was 8500 watts.

That might help you some. But remember that I have mine limited.

Last edited:
CHICOMs ruining the ocean, in addition to everything else

Then there is this:

NAPERVILLE, Illinois, July 19 (Reuters) - The end of the Ukraine grain export deal and an unfavorable U.S. weather outlook sent Chicago-traded wheat and corn futures soaring on Wednesday, causing pain for speculators holding short positions.
Most-active December corn gained 9.3% in the latest two sessions, the 2023 contract’s biggest-ever two-day jump and most-active corn’s biggest two-day rise since March 1, 2022.
Tuesday’s corn strength seemed largely focused on a hotter, drier U.S. forecast instead of the failed Ukraine grain deal, especially with less decisive early-week trade in wheat. The weather story lingered again on Wednesday, but harsher threats from Russia thrust the grain deal into the spotlight.
Most-active CBOT wheat futures surged 8.5% on Wednesday, wheat’s largest single-day percentage rise since Feb. 28, 2022, just days after Russia invaded Ukraine.
Both wheat and corn futures on Wednesday touched their highest prices since June 27, and wheat at one point was trading up the 60 cents-per-bushel limit. The last time either grain reached a daily limit was wheat in May 2022, when India moved to ban exports.

“ INDIA’S RICE EXPORT BAN: News of the rice ban caused panic buying in U.S. supermarkets last weekend, sending prices for a 20-pound bag from $16 to nearly $50. “

“ INDIA’S RICE EXPORT BAN: News of the rice ban caused panic buying in U.S. supermarkets last weekend, sending prices for a 20-pound bag from $16 to nearly $50. “
Maybe that was not such a good idea:

So why did India ban some rice exports in the first place?
The Indian Government said it made the move to tackle inflation that had been driving rice prices way up for Indian consumers
. “They've had some food inflation that occurred probably due to the Ukrainian Black Sea volatility,” Zwinger said.3 days ago

Worded another way.

Food shortages are driving prices higher and India is taking preemptive measure to ensure their population is shielded. Ie remains passive.
and.....
when someone is willing to EXPORT your food for a higher price (profit); this will raise the price of rice at home.
The people in India will not be able to afford the new higher price of rice and will riot, causing leadership to be replaced.

So in other words idiots are panic buying rice and driving prices up when we are domestically one of the biggest exporters of rice in the world so unless you need some special Indian rice, we have plenty of rice for the world still?
Basically the US is the 5th largest exporter of rice, so we have plenty. I have been buying extra rice for years just in case of food shortages.

Basically the US is the 5th largest exporter of rice, so we have plenty. I have been buying extra rice for years just in case of food shortages.
Exactly, sign of things to come, India is simply out in front. Beans, rice and spam being added to the pantry every shopping trip, need to grab some Goya sazon seasoning. Not enough personal wealth to purchase gold & silver, but maybe be able to trade with my rich neighbors, you know the ones I'm speaking of they do not have 3x meals in the house, everything is either dropped off or drive through. Then again probably just keep my can foods, if it's that ugly they ain't got nothing i want!

Exactly, sign of things to come, India is simply out in front. Beans, rice and spam being added to the pantry every shopping trip, need to grab some Goya sazon seasoning. Not enough personal wealth to purchase gold & silver, but maybe be able to trade with my rich neighbors, you know the ones I'm speaking of they do not have 3x meals in the house, everything is either dropped off or drive through. Then again probably just keep my can foods, if it's that ugly they ain't got nothing i want!
long pork.. It's what's for dinner with you rice and beans.. ;)

It's hard to keep Spam in our house. My son needs to cut the fuck back, he will eat two to three cans a week at times. I buy canned chicken, tune, sardines, spam and salmon just in case.

The UK government has announced plans to allow a big expansion of drilling for oil and gas in the North Sea in a move that environmental activists have described as a taking a “wrecking ball” to the country’s climate commitments.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said Monday that he hoped the plans would provide the UK with domestically-sourced energy while it transitions to a net zero economy by 2050.

Reactions: eca7891
Oil may be going up but rig count is still very much down. Translation: the price of gas isn’t coming down meaningfully.
The FED Reserve is attempting a "Soft Landing" and this is running people out of money due to inflation. Businesses are buying back their own stock rather than reinvest in their bread and butter products, every major labor contract is dialing in double digit raises for the next 3 - 4 years.
Similar to a small airplane circling the airport waiting for the weather to clear. In the mean time the plane runs out of fuel while circling.
Neither option is a good one.

Reactions: MadDuner
The FED Reserve is attempting a "Soft Landing" and this is running people out of money due to inflation. Businesses are buying back their own stock rather than reinvest in their bread and butter products, every major labor contract is dialing in double digit raises for the next 3 - 4 years.
Similar to a small airplane circling the airport waiting for the weather to clear. In the mean time the plane runs out of fuel while circling.
Neither option is a good one.
I think that's a pretty good summation of what we're seeing with my little corner of the economy. Everybody is waiting for the "weather" to clear before spending any money on new equipment.

We have seen this before, more than once:

• Bloomberg: Exxon, Chevron, BP, Shell, and TotalEnergies produced 11.6 million barrels of oil equivalent daily during the second quarter.
  • This was the lowest production rate for the big five in at least 15 years and a fifth lower than their 2010 production rate.
  • Neither BP nor Shell are looking to boost their oil production rates in their current capex plans.

Reactions: NoDopes
But while many advocates of electric vehicles (EV) claim operating cost affordability as an argument in favor of ditching internal combustion engine (ICE) cars and trucks, a new study from Anderson Economic Group (AEG) has hit the brakes on that argument.

It turns out that, in AEG's analysis of vehicle fueling costs, the vast majority of gasoline-powered cars and crossovers sold in the United States cost less to fuel than their electric counterparts to charge.

“With electricity prices trending up and gas prices going down, most traditional gas-powered vehicles cost less to drive than their EV counterparts," the consulting group wrote in the study.

Gas here in CO was almost down to $3 a gallon. Now it's at 4.25 a gallon...... WTF......

Doc

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI