• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

Not one of you??? This place is slipping….

Sirhr

send in the scoops

R.7113a0847a93123665da1ac9624f3fe0

Reactions: Fig and Nik H
About the only difference is that an heirloom is a stable hybrid that grows true to seed.
You obviously have a lot to learn.
A heirloom is a landrace (need help defining that?) that has never been hybridized and is the same as a wild/original from before man started messing with things he shouldn't.
Look it up.

I mean seriously, doesn't the word "Heirloom" at least kick out the olden days vibe ?
New things can't be heirloom, it's like something that has been in the family for 6 generations, that is an heirloom.
Is it really so hard to reason that out ?

Keep in mind, both accountant's and financial advisors make their money off of your money. I stopped, long ago asking for any opinions from those two. Look around your area and ask that 50 year old guy out playing golf at 10am on a Wednesday for his advice.
He's probably a financial advisor, retired on OPM.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
A heirloom is a landrace (need help defining that?) that has never been hybridized and is the same as a wild/original from before man started messing with things he shouldn't.
Look it up.

I mean seriously, doesn't the word "Heirloom" at least kick out the olden days vibe ?
New things can't be heirloom, it's like something that has been in the family for 6 generations, that is an heirloom.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Show me where the wild Cherokee purple and Brandywine tomatoes grow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What you have with an heirloom is a cross pollination some one has inbred for generations to maintain somewhat of a standard. They have to be at least 50 years old. Thats a far cry from some wild plant that hasn't been selectively bread for a purpose, which would likely be retarded to garden because of the yield.

Better check the weather in the subtropical regions of KS for tomorrow night.

I use well water, if the grid goes down I have generators, if gas becomes unavailable I have hand powered pumps.
Have you ever had a 1 acre garden ? I'm guessing no because you certainly don't know how much food you can grow on that amount of area.
I would be willing to wager you're spewing shit you read somewhere....written by someone you don't know.
Well since you think I'm spewing shit here's my background brother.
I grew up on a 200 acre working farm, I come from a big family and my mom is a master gardener.
Our personal garden was approx 2/3 of an acre, we stored root vegetables and squash, ate really well, and sold some at the farmers market.

Currently I own 160 acres with very fertile soil in a good growing climate, I built a fenced garden last year with a 350' perimeter.
Fruit trees are going in and we preserve as much as we can ourselves, I'm currently in the planning phase of our root cellar.

All that being said it's a subsidy to my survival plan, and I have no illusions of living off it solely if shit hits the fan.
The amount of energy and water required to sustain a garden and orchard of that size is intense, good on you for having handpumps but watering with that method will be an experience to say the least.
Check this book out for a good perspective on what it takes to survive in a societal collapse.

I am not aware of any genetically engineered fruits or vegetables that people eat.
20220412_232646.jpg
20220412_232658.jpg
20220412_232900.jpg
20220412_232850.jpg

Next time you're standing in line at the grocery store look at the back of the wrapper on some candy bars. A lot of them have similar warnings on them. Same with cereals, Chios and most other items in the store.

I read a story several years ago about how there was likely no such thing as non gmo food anymore due to the cross pollination of gmo and non gmo crops by the bee's.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Show me where the wild Cherokee purple and Brandywine tomatoes grow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What you have with an heirloom is a cross pollination some one has inbred for generations to maintain somewhat of a standard. They have to be at least 50 years old. Thats a far cry from some wild plant that hasn't been selectively bread for a purpose, which would likely be retarded to garden because of the yield.

Better check the weather in the subtropical regions of KS for tomorrow night.
Yea, I'm worried about the weather.
Should I start calling you supercornknob now ?
Tomato's originated in south America, not much hybridization until about 1920's or so because stoopid people though they were poisonous thru most of the 1800's.
You clearly didn't get that you've been eating GMO food all along w/o knowing it and don't know what a landrace is (I'll admit most college profs don't fully understand that one either).
I'll just leave this here with the knowledge you can peruse the thread to get any further details you can glean to get a full story.

4dumbass.jpg

I know what a landrace is. Smoke him with hickory or pecan and finish with a vinegar based sauce.

Is poland china in poland or china?

iu

View attachment 7848712View attachment 7848713View attachment 7848716View attachment 7848714
Next time you're standing in line at the grocery store look at the back of the wrapper on some candy bars. A lot of them have similar warnings on them. Same with cereals, Chios and most other items in the store.

I read a story several years ago about how there was likely no such thing as non gmo food anymore due to the cross pollination of gmo and non gmo crops by the bee's.
The bioengineered ingredient in those is likely the oil they were fried in. There are a lot more approved than last time I looked, but you aren't getting seeds for them from the supermarket seed rack. Every vegetable and fruit on the store shelf isn't a GMO.

Who ever wrote the story is full of shit. The main GMO crops are corn and soybeans. Soybeans are selfpolinating, and corn is air pollinated in a very short window. Pollen has to fall from the tassels to the silk.{bees don't land on the silk} Other GMOs have agreements signed by the seed buyer that they will not let them flower and go to seed. {Round up ready hay}

Breeding plants for seeds is a process where you have to make sure other pollen doesn't enter the mix. Same goes for growing plants for seeds. With self pollinating varieties it takes a lot of work to create a hybrid. To sum it up, it would be impossible for GMOs to cross breed with all other food crops.

I don't quite know how peppers work but I did learn if I plant my Carolina reapers beside my habeneros I get some lumpy looking hotter Haberneros. I also noticed if i plant habeneros beside bananna peppers I get some orangish bananna peppers. No addition to the tomato wars but interesting....

Lol.

well, imo it would be several years before it would be remotely stable enough to farm a garden after societal collaspe.

a garden now, canning, for sure. Or just putting back store bought food, better than nothing.

It cracks me up, the delusions of living off the land, in a simple yet honest life "after the collaspe". Lmao...

Lol.

well, imo it would be several years before it would be remotely stable enough to farm a garden after societal collaspe.

a garden now, canning, for sure. Or just putting back store bought food, better than nothing.

It cracks me up, the delusions of living off the land, in a simple yet honest life "after the collaspe". Lmao...
Don't you watch the movies or read the books?

Yea, I'm worried about the weather.
Should I start calling you supercornknob now ?
Tomato's originated in south America, not much hybridization until about 1920's or so because stoopid people though they were poisonous thru most of the 1800's.
You clearly didn't get that you've been eating GMO food all along w/o knowing it and don't know what a landrace is (I'll admit most college profs don't fully understand that one either).
I'll just leave this here with the knowledge you can peruse the thread to get any further details you can glean to get a full story.

View attachment 7848739
Calls people stupid, can't spell stupid. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"No freezing weather in the forecast, I think I'm good." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You claim to be planting a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be planted until mid May to June. You are also acting like you are an expert in gardening. Want to know how I know you are full of shit?

"The tomato had reached a fairly advanced stage of domestication before being taken to Europe in the 15th century and further domestication on a much more intense level occurred throughout Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries"

You keep using this word landrace, I don't think you understand what it is, what it means, or how it is different from heirloom. Top be honest I couldn't care much less though. Not sure why I m wasting my time honestly. Have fun with your totally not pretend garden, and your story telling.

Lol.

Why could one not grow a garden for several years after "social collapse?"

We plant a big garden.... half an acre. It produces well but I have read several places to survive a year off your garden would require almost an acre per person. In a collapse and without steady water, fertilizer and once the tractor is out of diesel fuel.......my yields would go way down as well as my ability to grow anything near what I have now. No chisel plow, rototiller, bifen for fire ants, glyphos for weeds. Everything by hand equals whole different ballgame and then the time and effort it would take to guard it. We focus our efforts on putting enough food up to give us time to figure things out should things change drastically. Planning for your garden to do what it does now or fully support you is a pipe dream. Unless you are doing everything in the old ways it just won't translate. No power alone would make keeping and canning all the stuff we put up a monumental task.

Folks would probably be better off if theyre realistic about what they're going to actually take care of. A lot of new gardeners will have a snake infested weedpatch come June.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
We plant a big garden.... half an acre. It produces well but I have read several places to survive a year off your garden would require almost an acre per person. In a collapse and without steady water, fertilizer and once the tractor is out of diesel fuel.......my yields would go way down as well as my ability to grow anything near what I have now. No chisel plow, rototiller, bifen for fire ants, glyphos for weeds. Everything by hand equals whole different ballgame and then the time and effort it would take to guard it. We focus our efforts on putting enough food up to give us time to figure things out should things change drastically. Planning for your garden to do what it does now or fully support you is a pipe dream. Unless you are doing everything in the old ways it just won't translate. No power alone would make keeping and canning all the stuff we put up a monumental task.
I guess all my ancestors that homesteaded must have starved to death. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Probably should have listened almost two years ago when I said China was going to cut off our fertilizer and started a thread about reducing inputs. Its never too late though. Well thats not true I guess. One could starve to death while he is trying to rebuild soil he ruined a plow, or tiller so that he can get a yield without fertilizer.

I guess all my ancestors that homesteaded must have starved to death. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Probably should have listened almost two years ago when I said China was going to cut off our fertilizer and started a thread about reducing inputs. Its never too late though. Well thats not true I guess. One could starve to death while he is trying to rebuild soil he ruined a plow, or tiller so that he can get a yield without fertilizer.
The grass is hungry though.

Coastal.png

No I bet they did OK, working their ass off and surviving on 1200 calories a day. I bet you don't farm, heat, store food or live anywhere close to how you ancestors did either. I'd also wager you don't have the tools, knowledge, or ability to live in completely subsitence existence for years either. None of us do. We would have to relearn and develop that on the fly. I hope you never have to realize that but at least you are confident. That is something.

No I bet they did OK, working their ass off and surviving on 1200 calories a day. I bet you don't farm, heat, store food or live anywhere close to how you ancestors did either. I'd also wager you don't have the tools, knowledge, or ability to live in completely subsitence existence for years either. None of us do. We would have to relearn and develop that on the fly. I hope you never have to realize that but at least you are confident. That is something.
They didn't have to work 40 hours per week so that buch of useless fucktard could get pay checks. You think you will spend a lot of time at the office after "social collapse?" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They learned a lot of those skills on the fly.

Soil analysis means a lot less than you have been taught to believe. I am not going to waste my time rehashing the same old information to people who don't want to know. If you want to know, you can find out...

You and dirtdoc on the radio have infected me with your garden communism. Been adding compost, dry molasses, whole ground corn, ... to the little garden I grow mators, peppers, ... in. Soil is pretty great and getting better.

Peppers.png

I hope you are right and you will be the one with a table full of fresh vegetables in the apocolypse using your abundance of extra lettuce to wipe your ass while everybody else wonders how the hell you do it. You will abound with unbathed hungry whores begging your for attention and a scrap of your bounty with the admiration of all the losers around you.

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b
So Brandon is going to release 15% ethanol fuel for use to lower fuel costs. It is less efficient (which negates the lower cost because you have to buy more to cover the same distance). It requires more grain/corn to produce and we expect to be in a food shortage which will not just impact people but grain for livestock feeds, further compounding the problem.

This is going to be fun:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

So Brandon is going to release 15% ethanol fuel for use to lower fuel costs. It is less efficient (which negates the lower cost because you have to buy more to cover the same distance). It requires more grain/corn to produce and we expect to be in a food shortage which will not just impact people but grain for livestock feeds, further compounding the problem.

This is going to be fun:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:
We don't have an oil shortage, but we do have a fertilize shortage. So let's burn fertilize in our cars!

Look it up.

This is not accurate. Humans have been breeding for desired properties since the agricultural revolution. Heirloom crops are those that were widely used prior to industrialized farming. But, they are hardly 'wild' or 'original.'

There's a lot of things people don't think they can eat that will slide down the belly hatch and provide nutrition. Dogs, cats and vermin come to mind quickly.

Historically mothers ate their own children.

It will repeat.

These are not as good as you think. They leak over time. Imagine finding out about that when you open the pantry.

Reactions: silentwoods