• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For everyone that was involved in my JEEP thread; need your help again!

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    So after countless posts about should I buy a Jeep, what kind of Jeep, what to get..what to avoid....I ended up with a 97 Wrangler TJ with 120K miles that is in awesome shape, drives great and has next to no issues. I've had it for about a month now and have been scouring all of the Jeep forums and figuring out what I wanted to do with it. It's as stock as they come but does have a brand new soft top that was bought roughly 1 month before I purchased the jeep.

The only thing the Jeep actually NEEDED was new seat covers (wasn't using the old ones!), AC fan speed knob (who loses that?) and eventually new tires which is fine because I'm getting bigger ones anyways.

My plan was to get front/rear fenders, paint the Jeep a matte color as I get the hook up on paint work (friend owns a bodyshop), replace some lighting because it has the ultra dim headlights on it, get new seat covers, install window mount driving lights and eventually lift it (but not needed now; keep reading).

The easy part was finding the good parts. I've ordered:

- MetalCloak flared front fenders with 4" flares
    - MetalCloak rear fenders/flares (mod cut; can take up to 34" tires with no lift)
    - MetalCloak frame built front bumper with grille guard

Here is where some of you Jeep experts come in again. I am looking to do some lighting as well as want a consensus on what color to paint the body.

For lighting, I wanted to do a windshield mount and driving lights and then have fog lights on the grille guard or bumper. For the lights and mounts, I was looking at the following. Feel free to steer me in a better direction:

- Replacements for front lights that are dim (have to be DOT approved for state inspection): Halogen Conversion Headlamp - 7 Inch Round<br>(Sold Individually!) - HEL-002395301
    - Windshield Mounts: Crown Automotive LB4954TJK - Windshield Light Mounting Bracket in Black for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
    - Driving lights for Windshield mounts: Hella 500 Black Magic Driving Lamp Kit - HEL-005750991
    ***- Fog Lights: Not sure; need some input and how to mount them***

Then I was going to get 2 of these to have wired to the fog and driving lights via the switch panel area in the dashboard: Hella On/Off SPST Green Rocker Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

So, as for color, that's the last thing. Right now the body is that light forest green color, with the tan soft top, tan interior, black wheels and black trim (fenders, bumpers). I was trying to do some sort of two-tone matte tan (body darker tan than the top, or body lighter tan than the top) but couldn't figure out if it would work or how it would look. Would a matte tan and then tan soft top work, if they were two different colors; if so, darker or lighter? My only other option I could see is to do some sort of matte green like a Willy's jeep.

Input is appreciated. Thanks!

I would go with Lightforce lights over Hella. Stay away from LED lights unless you only care about <50' lighting. LEDs do not throw light far. Halogen on the cheap or HIDs if you want the best.

I would go with Lightforce lights over Hella. Stay away from LED lights unless you only care about <50' lighting. LEDs do not throw light far. Halogen on the cheap or HIDs if you want the best.

Holy shit...$450 a pair.

Na, don't really care about super up close lighting. Just need replacements for the regular lights and then 'driving' lights and fogs to really light up the desert in pitch darkness so I don't fly into/off of something.

140_Lance.png

It looks like it takes a 10MM bolt at the bottom which would seem to mount to your mounts the same as the Hella lights.

Last edited: