• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For Those of You who Wear Costa Del Mar Frames...

Cloverstring

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2019
Hoping folks on here can help. I recently purchased a pair of Costa Del Mar Jose frames with blue mirror 580 polycarbonate lenses. When they arrived I was surprised that the blue mirror finish on the lenses was not as bright as I thought it was going to be, more of a matte. I compared them to a bunch of images and videos online of the same Jose frames and all the ones I saw online sure seem to be much more "mirrored" and bright blue than the ones I was sent. Can anybody tell me if these appear to be “normal” or if I should be worried about being sent a non-authentic pair of frames? Or maybe do the real glass lenses have a more "mirrored" and bright blue finish on the lenses than the polycarbonate? Everything else with them appears authentic but I'm no expert. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• jose1.jpg
    jose1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 74
No way these are the same lenses as these... this is not a photo of me or my frames, this is a reference photo for what I was hoping my frames would look like.

Attachments

• jose2.jpg
    jose2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Put them on your face and take a picture. They'll look darker, because there won't be light coming from behind the lens, same with the mirror tint.

Put them on your face and take a picture. They'll look darker, because there won't be light coming from behind the lens, same with the mirror tint.
When I do put them on my face they do look darker (or even less "mirrored") when I look into a mirror. Then when I see images like the one I posted where others are wearing them they sure appear to be much brighter and more mirrored.

May be the difference between the glass and plastic lens. I have both, but not in the same color lens to give you a comparison

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I have the Jose in the 580 glass lens and it looks the same as yours. Put the on and go outside and take a picture.

Reactions: BCP
This is why I don't buy anything of actual value or importance off of Amazon. The internet is flooded with knock-off goods, and companies like Amazon have zero interest in changing that.

For important things like sunglasses, always buy from a legitimate vendor. For Costa's you can simply look here for a dealer: https://www.costadelmar.com/en-us/stores

No comment on the lense color, but when my several year old beat up Costa's had the rubber end of the frame break off, they sent me a new pair of glasses for free. Pretty good customer service there....

Reactions: kthomas
My guess is that if you didn't buy them from a legit Costa vendor - then they are fake.
It was a third party vendor but I did my research and they seem to be legit. I paid less than Costa retail but not too good to be true. They said they would take them back without issue. But even on my face with no back lighting, the lenses don't look as bright or as mirrored as I thought they would. If I had a dealer locally, I would go check for myself.

Reactions: kthomas
I'd bet it's cause they are poly. My Tuna Alley 580G Blue Mirror...well....look like a blue mirror finish.

Reactions: sniper307
It was a third party vendor but I did my research and they seem to be legit. I paid less than Costa retail but not too good to be true. They said they would take them back without issue. But even on my face with no back lighting, the lenses don't look as bright or as mirrored as I thought they would. If I had a dealer locally, I would go check for myself.
If they’re willing to take them back, send them back. You’re obviously not happy with them.

Here's what I got. I will say in holding them at certain angles they do seem not to have as much mirror effect. I think the first pic sort of demonstrates that "effect".

IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg

At work we sell Costas and I own several pair, the glass definitely has a different look. There are many knock offs out there, sometimes when a deal is too Good to be true it may be.

Sunglasses and watches are nuts. To the point of legit venders not knowing they have fakes.

One of the few things I just go into a brand store and buy and not worry about trying to find a deal, as I figure it's cheaper to buy from a known source rather than spend all the time trying to figure out what's fake.

Thanks for the photos and for all the good info. I tried to take some more photos yesterday evening but it's hard to show from every angle and they change so much based on the angle. Here's 2 more, 1 with a light background and 1 with a dark. I put them on my face and took a couple more photos and you can hardly even tell they have any mirror finish on the lenses. Hard to say if they are legit or not, sure look legit and I have a case, clothe, box, and all the paperwork. I'm thinking of returning them and not ordering another pair until I can see some in person to compare.

Attachments

• cos1.jpg
    cos1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 30
  • cos2.jpg
    cos2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 29
I wonder if some of the change occurred when Luxotica bought out Costa? They gave me warranty on a pair of frames, just charging $12.00 for shipping. When I cracked a lens a few months later, I offered to purchase a new lens and they told me that that model of sunglasses was no longer available and that no lenses were available. It is hard to tell from your photos how much different the blue mirror appears. That might just be the new Luxotica finish. That company has bought out many brands, starting with RayBan. It is the biggest eyeglass manufacturer in the world.

If the vendor will take them back, it may be the best bet.

The real question is how do they look from your perspective. Not hard to tell a really good pair of shades when you put them on in sunlight or looking into water.

@FredBart I had an older pair (few years old anyway) of Tuna Alley 580G with the green lens. The arms started peeling off the ear material or whatever it's called. I had a bit of hesitation with the "new owner" as you described. I got my glasses replaced under warranty with a new pair. There was no difference in the lenses that was discernible in anyway. Maybe I got an older production pair that was warehouse stock...?? Just $.02

I had an opportunity to check them out in person over the weekend. The glass lenses very clearly have a much more mirror finish and a much brighter finish than the plastic (polycarbonate). In the photo, the glass are on the bottom and the polycarbonate on the top. The real world difference is even more noticeable than in the photo. As a side note, I showed the rep the pair I had and he confirmed they were authentic Costa brand. I'm planning on returning them and getting a pair of the glasses lenses. Thanks again for all the replies.

Attachments

• gandp.jpg
    gandp.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 25