• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those on the fence about Labradar

briscoetab

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
west texas
For several months I had been trying to decide between a Labradar and a magneto speed. At the time I didn’t have a tripod and need one for my rifle and other optics. Regardless of the chronograph I had to get a good tripod so that was not considered as a cost for the Labradar, where I shoot I had to have a tripod to use it and considering the cost of the labradar and the wind where I’m at, it was not going to be a $50 tripod. So I ordered one of the PVA comp 40 tripods which has not came in yet.

All that being said after reading several labradar vs magneto speed on here this was the conclusion I came up with:
- labradar is delicate and has to be handled somewhat carfully
-labradar has is finicky when aiming and does not have a good way to aim it

-magneto speed very reliable and durable
-magneto speed needs a mount or it can affect poi
-magneto speed is a huge supporter of the sport and Ryan Hey is an awesome guy.

Ok so I dwelled on all of the above and if I was going to get magneto speed I wanted a mount for it, so basically the cost would be pretty close to equal between MS v3 and labradar. Long story short I rolled the dice and went with the labradar, I say rolled the dice because in my opinion the aiming issues were the only thing that I could not decide if it was user issue or product issue. Everything on the MS works, no doubt and with the labradar there were mix reports. I had used a MS before and knew they worked and very easy to use.

I’ve had the labradar for a few weeks now but was unable to use it because the PVA tripod has not shipped yet. I finally decided I was going to figure out a way to try the labradar but no one I knew had a tripod handy and the wind was blowing +20 mph where I was so I wanted it secure. Well this is the solution I figured out

I was at my father and laws house and he had a Dillon vibratory case cleaner, which the screw that holds the lid was the correct size for the labradar so I decided to try it but knew aiming was gonna be a pain and probably would have trouble.

Well I used the notch to aim it at a target at 100 yds. If it didn’t pick up the shots I wasn’t too worried because I was just really trying it out and this was my varmint gun shooting factory ammo, so I wasn’t trying to collect any data.

First shot, read 3100 FPS and every shot I took, it picked up perfectly. Was using the trigger for activation. So using a less than ideal setup and factory aiming notch I was able to get the unit to pick up with only about 1-2 minute of set up time.

This is only one time using it but the issue that had me the most worried about using it was a non-issue. It should be even much less of an issue when I have the PVA tripod and RRS leveling head setup in hand. I wanted to write this because I have seen countless threads and YouTube videos about how the labradar is a piece of junk because you can’t aim it and it won’t pick up shots, yes they should have a better way to aim it but for me it was not an issue. Hopefully my opinion stays the same, I will update the thread when I get to use it more which should be soon because I have two rifles coming back from the smith soon with two barrels each in 6.5cm and 22cm to do load work up on.

Reactions: sinister and ZG47A
Not writing this to say labradar is better than MS, just wanted to give my first impression so far. As long as I do not have trouble with the aiming later on or picking up shots, I believe I would have been just as happy with either unit but chose labradar so I could shoot multiple rifles without changing bayonet. This first impression was with a non-braked or suppressed rifle, all of my other rifles have brakes so I will see if there is any issues when I try them out.

I have a labradar with the MK Machining upgraded sight and the accelerometer trigger from Greg Piet (because it wouldn’t pick up shots unless it was a foot in front of the muzzle otherwise). I’m probably going to sell it for the MagnetoSpeed. The accelerometer trigger works perfectly, but it still intermittently reads a speed of zero, and honestly I hate the interface. The buttons are unlabeled, it feels slow to respond, and it doesn’t really make sense to me. I know a lot of people love the labradar but it hasn’t been a product I’ve enjoyed.

@TheGerman which durability is one of the issues that was of slight concern to me but honestly I carry a $3000 laptop in the field all the time and I have not broken it. The laptop is not made to be in the field. Maybe I am more careful with my equipment than most but I don’t see how. I was using the labradar in 20mph plus steady wind on a piece of mounting equipment that was not designed for anything remotely close to what I was using it for and had no issues. The tripod that I will be using the labradar on will be just as stable.

I fail to see how people just “drop” their labradars all the time. I don’t see people talking about how they accidentally drop their loaded rifles all the time. Treat something like it is supposed to be treated and you should be fine. Yes, accidents happen but come on, it was not built to be “rugged” so don’t treat it like that. I didn’t buy it thinking I could just chunk this thing anywhere and it will be good to go. I bought it thinking it is like a laptop computer and I will treat it like that. If I’m not using it I will put it in its case, I won’t just leave it sitting around and I won’t have the tripod extended out to 5’ if the wind is blowing 20mph. I understand some people need their equipment be more rugged but for me I don’t really expect a chronograph to be rugged.

Maybe after a year of use and I break it I will change my attitude but I know it is somewhat “fragile” piece of equipment and I bought it with that in mind, like I think anyone should. Also, the MS is not an unbreakable piece of equipment either if it is abused, drop that screen on a rock and I bet it will bust. Throw something on top of the bayonet just right and I bet it will crack. Also, I’ve heard Ryan Hey talking about how many people call in looking for additional spacers because they lose them. Yea, I definitely believe the MS is much more durable but it still can break if you abuse it.

Like I said I didn’t write this to say labradar is better, just to help put some people’s minds at ease that may be having trouble deciding. Yes I still believe durability is an issue with the unit and if you are heavy handed or careless go with the MS for sure. I think I would likely be just as happy with MS. I also bought this thinking that my friend can use it that runs an archery shop, shots competitive archery and teaches archery lessons; so that was another factor for my choice as well that many on here may not have.

@DevilDocAZ definitely not a feature and definitely a “rig job”. I bought the labradar thinking I would have the tripod in hand at the same time, I didn’t and my patience was limited. I had a new toy and I wanted to try it and could not think of another way.

The reason that I am posting the picture is everyone who says that labradar sucks says it’s because you can’t aim it or get it to activate or that you magically drop it and break it all the time. I’m using a complete joke of a set up with the factory aiming notch and had zero issues aiming it. Yes, the way you aim it could use some improvement but the error in aiming is user error and not product error in my opinion.

@DevilDocAZ definitely not a feature and definitely a “rig job”. I bought the labradar thinking I would have the tripod in hand at the same time, I didn’t and my patience was limited. I had a new toy and I wanted to try it and could not think of another way.

The reason that I am posting the picture is everyone who says that labradar sucks says it’s because you can’t aim it or get it to activate or that you magically drop it and break it all the time. I’m using a complete joke of a set up with the factory aiming notch and had zero issues aiming it. Yes, the way you aim it could use some improvement but the error in aiming is user error and not product error in my opinion.

I was just fooling around. Totally appreciated your humor. ?

Its cool, until it falls over.

Then its broke.

I’ve had both and I currently use the labradar. As to your comment, set it up properly and it won’t fall over. Lol. Pretty easy.

Both are great units. Magnetospeed is a great company and Ryan is an awesome guy. The labradar takes one range trip to learn its setup and you’re good to go. Both do what they advertise and it’s personal preference at the end of the day.

I run mine on a full size tripod with the legs deployed all the way out. Only thing knocking it over is a tornado. If you use some cheap stand or mini tripod, expect shit results.

Attachments

• A7733B02-8838-40E6-BFA2-1C0CF3CCF9E7.jpeg
    A7733B02-8838-40E6-BFA2-1C0CF3CCF9E7.jpeg
    840.5 KB · Views: 313
@Stag556 “I run mine on a full size tripod with the legs deployed all the way out. Only thing knocking it over is a tornado. If you use some cheap stand or mini tripod, expect shit results.”

This is how plan to use mine 99% of the time, I do almost all load development out of the prone on private land, so no concern about interference from other rifles. I figured the same as you, if I was going to mount a $500 chronograph on a tripod pod it wasn’t going to be $50 dollar one and I needed a tripod for shooting off of anyways so I could take care of both with the one purchase. Just hope PVA ships their tripods soon.

I have both, bought the Magneto and it just flat out works. I knew it would cause POI shift when using it but figured I would do load workup, then sight in and it wouldn't matter. After using it about a year that POI shift bugged me and I had to go the other route, as I change loads a lot and test many different bullets.

First impressions are good for Labradar except when shooting indoors with a pistol, it didnt pick up shots well and often had odd readings but I believe I didn't have it setup optimally for that as I am told you need to use low power option indoors. Time will tell.

I went with the Magnetospeed and an MKM mount. I was very intrigued by the Labradar technology. But, where I shoot most often, we are lined up fairly close together, and from what I was reading, that could be a problem. Here's a pic of how close we typically are positioned on the shooting line. Would a Labradar work here?

I'm getting ideas for those no gamer plate and no tripod stages at the next match!

Thanks for the posts... good timing, and good input, as I’m planning to pick one up soon. I’ve seen the Labradar in use twice now, and it was quite impressive and worked perfectly for the purpose under the circumstances at those times. Most of the time, those exact conditions are what I would typically experience when I need to chrono.

If anyone runs across a great deal on a new or used setup, please feel free to let me know!

I just got a labradar after being frustrated with optical chrono inconsistency. Bought the MK aiming device which is nice. Very very happy with mine so far.

Got this case from Harbor Freight for $48.

Attachments

• 20190516_181039.jpg
    20190516_181039.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 20190516_175958.jpg
    20190516_175958.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: Defender3
I have owned both, both worked fine, no problems with either. Sold the magnetospeed and completely happy with the Labradar. I feel it is easier to setup and use. Never felt that it was fragile, never dropped it either. If I shoot 2 or 3 rifles in one range session the Labradar takes much less time to setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlastin300win
I went with the Magnetospeed and an MKM mount. I was very intrigued by the Labradar technology. But, where I shoot most often, we are lined up fairly close together, and from what I was reading, that could be a problem. Here's a pic of how close we typically are positioned on the shooting line. Would a Labradar work here?

View attachment 7083960

It would however if you had two labradar's that close you would need to alter the default channel so they didnt interfere.

I just got a labradar after being frustrated with optical chrono inconsistency. Bought the MK aiming device which is nice. Very very happy with mine so far.

Got this case from Harbor Freight for $48.

What is this aiming device you speak of? "MK aiming device" search didnt help on the google machine

It would however if you had two labradar's that close you would need to alter the default channel so they didnt interfere.

I'd be concerned about picking up the other shooter's shots.

What is this aiming device you speak of? "MK aiming device" search didnt help on the google machine

Thank you, found it and ordered so thank you twice

Reactions: achalmersman
instead of a tripod, at least for prone or bench, i just cut a 12"x12" square of 3/4" melamine board and epoxied in a bolt on which to screw on the labradar. it's wide enough and heavy enough that it's pretty steady/stable.

I have a labradar with the MK Machining upgraded sight and the accelerometer trigger from Greg Piet (because it wouldn’t pick up shots unless it was a foot in front of the muzzle otherwise). I’m probably going to sell it for the MagnetoSpeed. The accelerometer trigger works perfectly, but it still intermittently reads a speed of zero, and honestly I hate the interface. The buttons are unlabeled, it feels slow to respond, and it doesn’t really make sense to me. I know a lot of people love the labradar but it hasn’t been a product I’ve enjoyed.

If using a muzzle brake, pull the Labradar back beside the forend..works much better.

I feel like the labradar vs magnetospeed debates here are worse than any sports rivalry.

@Racer88 that can be tricky, but as long as people aren’t shooting across your lane, you should be ok. Getting it set up, and knowing how close you need to be, and what settings are ideal to pick up your shot without being too sensitive takes some trial. Probably best combined with the accelerometer trigger.

I had a magnetospeed, then the wiring in the bayonet went bad and I switched to the labradar. The labradar is a much better experience for me.

This is what I have for aiming my labradar. It has become very fast for me to chrono a batch of guns now.

Attachments

• 6D8A0A3F-FB58-47D9-BC50-711B752BA68D.jpeg
    6D8A0A3F-FB58-47D9-BC50-711B752BA68D.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 42E7B0F7-D78F-40CB-809C-4117A5CA8C22.jpeg
    42E7B0F7-D78F-40CB-809C-4117A5CA8C22.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 339
@ShtrRdy i stuffed my tab gear rear bag underneath it where the motor was. I was able to kind of move the tumbler around the bag and it stayed in place and it also took some of the flex out caused by the springs between the base and the media hopper.

That is why I did not have much confidence in getting any results and was completely surprised I was able to get perfect results using such a joke of a setup. Now, I only fired a few shots because I just wanted to test it out but got readings on every shot.

@ShtrRdy my bag is actually underneath the machine in the picture I posted and the motor is sitting on the bag, I just kind of worked the top part of the vibrator around until it settled into the right spot on the bag.

Not writing this to say labradar is better than MS, just wanted to give my first impression so far. As long as I do not have trouble with the aiming later on or picking up shots, I believe I would have been just as happy with either unit but chose labradar so I could shoot multiple rifles without changing bayonet. This first impression was with a non-braked or suppressed rifle, all of my other rifles have brakes so I will see if there is any issues when I try them out.

You're thinking right. I have both LR and MS3, but only use the LR now. The MS3 is fine and works fine, but there is the issue of POI and group size interference for sure without a special aftermarket mount. I've never used any kind of aiming device for the LR and never had an issue, but I am careful with the aiming using the factory V-notch. An aiming aid would be a plus, but not a necessity. If you're only shooting prone or from a bench, forget the tripod and use the factory base plate. Set the unit just ahead of the action and right beside it. Use the minimum (6") offset in the Menu. For a braked or non-braked rifle, use the factory trigger. For a suppressed rifle use the @wildmanpiet recoil trigger. The only need I see for a tripod would be a suppressed rifle from an elevated position (bench, etc) with the factory trigger - then you need to set the unit just ahead of the suppressor. But this is easily avoided with the recoil trigger. You can't knock it over or damage it with the factory base plate, and it's easy to aim with their ball mount, @Racer88 - shouldn't have any issues in that environment using the recoil trigger unless the guy next to you fired at the exact same instant as you.
I agree the controls are not intuitive and not as user-friendly as they could be. But they do work exactly as stated in the manual, every time. It's just a matter of learning them, or making a few condensed notes so you don't have to drag the manual out. I've been noticing lately that when working at distances of 1300-1500, it's so accurate that (with an accurate rifle) the vertical spread of the impacts matches up perfectly to the recorded MV of each shot.

take the guts out of a ballpoint pen and toss it in the v groove. pretfy effective and low cost

The pen trick works just fine for me (y)
I bought the LR, after i had seen what a 300 win was able to do with a wobling MS3...........!

I have never had a problem just using the groove in the top.

i set up behind the LR- shoot with the LR at 11 oclock. Just think about your muzzle blast signature. It depends on your muzzle break as well. Direct concussion to the unit interferes with its accuracy. I don't mess with a case or anything with how often I use it- just throw it in a bin in my car where i pull it out and have it set up ready to go in a few seconds.

7D4021B6-601D-4DAC-8C7E-0ECDF67722DB.jpeg
D4ECC7D1-94B1-4E77-87AD-B9139F1E6CFF.jpeg

I used a V3 for some time. I didn't like the strap system, especially shooting suppressed, ended up going with the LR and have never looked back.

I shoot with no brake, brakes and suppressors and do have to change the trigger adjustment a bit higher with some, and move the unit a bit further back with a brake, but it works well for me.

I read about the fragility of a certain internal solder point and simply use the LR base with a bag on it so it doesn't tip over, did a hard case as was shown above, labeled the buttons and lastly, I only use lithiums as I leave them in the unit and don't want a leak. /lecture off

IMG_8268-1_JPG-655982.jpg

IMG_8273-1_JPG-655987.jpg

IMG_1123-1JPG_JPG-958365.jpg

Since I started using the barrel of a ballpoint pen literally lying in the LR sight groove as a sight, I have not missed picking up a shot and the signal-return bar graph shows all or all minus one bars. Yes, of course a breeze will blow the thing out of the groove. So what? I only have to aim it once.

I’m surprised LR hasn’t offered an extra-cost sight to go along with their extra-cost microphone. Such a great piece of kit to have these glaring shortcomings.

From just today. People shooting on either side of me, though not too close. No missed readings from the very first test shot. I’m not sure if the device is water resistant so I put the bag over it, and could still aim the device. All in all it was a very efficient load development day.

Does anyone have any experience with these while shooting 20s and 17s? Word on the street is they don't work that well with them.

I'm getting ideas for those no gamer plate and no tripod stages at the next match!

Stage 5- At the start signal... Blah blah blah... Shooter must start at port arms, with all gear in hand. NO TRIPODS. NO "GAMER PLATES." You can use a vibratory tumbler mounted to your rifle, but it MUST BE FULL OF BRASS AND MEDIA, PLUGGED IN, AND RUNNING. 90 second par time. 10 rounds 10 shots.

Stage 5- At the start signal... Blah blah blah... Shooter must start at port arms, with all gear in hand. NO TRIPODS. NO "GAMER PLATES." You can use a vibratory tumbler mounted to your rifle, but it MUST BE FULL OF BRASS AND MEDIA, PLUGGED IN, AND RUNNING. 90 second par time. 10 rounds 10 shots.

Further mounting options for you labradar: RRS ta-3 leveling base in a tactical udder propped up by a wiebad bag. I’m getting desperate here, ordered the comp 4 tripod expecting it to be here by the time my rifles got back from the smith but it hasn’t and I have to get some load development done, so this is what I have resorted to.

Somewhere in one of these labradar threads where people were talking about it breaking, I said I was going to treat it like it is an expensive piece of electronics equanimity would only be mounting it in a good tripod, guess I’m eating my words now. Next I’m going to be complaining about it being broke.
476B9BC3-2678-475E-93AE-95E721994C19.jpeg

Because I’m sure some non owners are watching...

I own both units. The Magnetospeed never misses a shot and is pretty straight forward and easy to use. The big thing to keep in mind is what clamping something to your barrel will or will not do for you with regards to load development. If you’re willing to spend money on trial and error with mounting solutions I would put a slight edge on the Magnetospeed. Labradar needs some patience coming out of the box but isn’t the most complicated piece of equipment. Definitely recommend pairing the unit with an external battery. It seems to get upset less. What you mount it on is extremely important. If a tripod is already in your arsenal the Labradar is the way to go. The bigger and brighter display is nice as well and uses less buttons to get to different features.

End of story my Magnetospeed hasn’t left the closet since purchasing the Labradar.

I gotta say the last time out with the relatively new Labradar was less than impressive. Having significant trouble getting it to trigger with pistols. A few inches from it, 12 inches from it, flush with it, back from it for more blast, etc. 9mm was missing more shots than not. .40 triggered pretty reliably. I honestly dont understand why their are lower sensitivity settings. Trigger level 1 is the highest sensitivity right? I cant for the life of me figure out how anybody could need LESS sensitivity. So far this is my only complaint. I'm actually wondering if mine has a sensitivity problem

I gotta say the last time out with the relatively new Labradar was less than impressive. Having significant trouble getting it to trigger with pistols. A few inches from it, 12 inches from it, flush with it, back from it for more blast, etc. 9mm was missing more shots than not. .40 triggered pretty reliably. I honestly dont understand why their are lower sensitivity settings. Trigger level 1 is the highest sensitivity right? I cant for the life of me figure out how anybody could need LESS sensitivity. So far this is my only complaint. I'm actually wondering if mine has a sensitivity problem
Damn millennial LabRadars and their feelings