• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors For those who are unfamiliar with the joys of a .22 bolt gun and a can...

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. (/Ferris Bueller)

Seriously, though... picked up my Savage Mk II from the 'smith yesterday... had the barrel shortened to 16.5" and threaded. Got home, screwed on the Sparrow, and started shooting. Then I started giggling my ass off... it is honestly one of the most entertaining guns I have ever fired.

For those who own a .22 can and don't have a bolt gun to use as a host, I cannot recommend it more highly.

Seconded. You'll draw spectators at the range though once folks figure out you're not just dry firing.

I have the Savage MkII FV-SR and a Spectre II that I use to introduce people suppressors. So far everyone I have showed it to can't believe how quiet the rifle is with subsonic ammo. Several have commented that cycling the bolt after the shot sounds louder than the shot itself.

If you can find a bolt gun with enclosed bolt where all the firing pin movement is internal (like a PWS T3), cycling the bolt is definitely louder than the muffled "click" that the hammer/firing pin make.

I've had my Silencerco Sparrow for 2 years as of last week. My principle is a CZ 452 Varmint and I have a Nordic 22 upper SBR we call the Giggle Stick. I've gotten to be a bit of a suppressor snob in that I get annoyed when I have to put ears on due to somebody shooting unsuppressed. Damn heathens! :rolleyes:

I also finally got to experience the advantages of hunting suppressed this Summer harvesting Woodchucks. I could shoot the little buggers all day because they were never scared off by the sound of a gunshot. The only sound better than a 40gr of lead hitting a piece of steel at distance is a 40gr piece of lead connecting with the cranial vault of a critter at distance. :cool:

i bought the Anschutz 1416 that was threaded and cut down that was for sale here on the Hide. and yes, a suppressed 22lr is very choice. my 455CZ is also nice as well.

I really think the Anschutz is quieter. but they both are impressive with a TBAC 22L-1.

I concur. People have a grin from ear to ear when I let them shoot it. With ear plugs/muffs and standard velocity ammo all you hear is the firing pin through your cheek.

CZ 452 w/ Sparrow. I have a TBAC 22L-1 in jail and can't wait to compare them for rifle use.

KHquVhM.jpg

Last edited:
I concur. People have a grin from ear to ear when I let them shoot it. With ear plugs/muffs and standard velocity ammo all you hear is the firing pin through your cheek.

CZ 452 w/ Sparrow. I have a TBAC 22L-1 in jail and can't wait to compare them for rifle use.

KHquVhM.jpg

Have the exact same setup 452/Sparrow. Love it. Had AWC bob and thread the barrel at 18".

If we are going to do show & tell:

The Thwacker: CZ 452 Varmint in Klinsky Target stock, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Atlas PRS BT47, Tab gear Biathlon sling- 32 total Whistle Pigs down for the Summer

The Giggle Stick:Nordic Components 22 SBR's to 6.5in:

Shot my new Savage 93 .22LR with Nikon P 22LR scope today with the sparrow on it!!!
Oh boy . . . oh boy . . . oh boy . . . . oh boy !!!!!

With subsonic ammo it really does make me giggle like a little kid after each shot. I've got a MKII FV-SR with an Element can it is just too much fun.

That's the one I just bought. The dealer is holding the suppressor while the paper work is completed, but they let me come in and use it on my host weapons on their indoor range.

I had a Ruger 77/22 with an AWC can attached and it was spooky quiet. I tossed old bread in the yard to bait in blackbirds & starlings. I could pop them 30 yards away without spooking new customers. I had a couple dozen dead on the ground and more were landing faster than I could load the mag & shoot.

You use to get any . 22 ammo you wanted and Remington subsonic was a perfect match.

That shit is pretty quiet. But when you need to eradicate bunnys chewing your front yard's grass to death in broad daylight there's only one answer.....good ole throwin' knives (and a lot of luck).:)
B096E874-BFE7-4647-B2A9-85982E43D1D3.jpg

It was about 10 yards
62AB6BE8-39A7-4F51-A4B9-8BB21373899E.jpg

I love shooting my FVSR suppressed so much that my very first video I ever made specifically for my channel was about how a rimfire can is a gateway drug to a silencer addiction. I compared the sound of my FVSR shooting CCI SV through an AAC Pilot to the sound of a lot of other quiet weapons many are familiar with (pellet gun, Daisy BB gun, crossbow, Mathews vertical bow).

The best part of owning a rimfire can was when my daughter finally said she was ready to shoot a firearm. You can't beat a suppressed bolt action 22LR for introducing a kid to shooting. Zero recoil, less noise and vibration than a BB gun, and no ear pro to get in the way of communication. It doesn't hurt that the combo is also very accurate, giving my daughter instant confidence when she hit the bullseye on her very first shot.

If we are going to do show & tell:

The Thwacker: CZ 452 Varmint in Klinsky Target stock, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Atlas PRS BT47, Tab gear Biathlon sling- 32 total Whistle Pigs down for the Summer

The Giggle Stick:Nordic Components 22 SBR's to 6.5in:

Damn Bunsen, that is a big ass chucky in the top pick! Looks like he'd push 20+ lbs!

Damn Bunsen, that is a big ass chucky in the top pick! Looks like he'd push 20+ lbs!

It was a big pig, probably 3-4 years old. The one to it's right was just a yearling so the size differential is noticeable and a touch skewed. It was 15lbs+ but likely not 20lbs. The biggest one I got all season was the second to last and it was definitely a 4-5 year old pig 20lbs+. It's documented in pictures 3-5 of this post and that is NOT a yearling but a 2-3 year old laying beside it for comparision.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ng/194199-strictly-chuckin-3.html#post3261572

Yes, I have a suppressor for my big boy gun as well and although not as quiet as a bolt 22LR shooting subs it is still quiet enough not to scare off game animals.

My .22 go-to host is a Ruger 96-22 with a threaded TacSol 10-22 barrel that I modified for the lever gun. It's stupid quiet and deadly accurate. Squirrels hate it.

I have a cz455 varmint with the heavy barrel, using a suppresor and winchester 40gr subsonics its silly quiet.great fun plinking or shooting rabbits.This is the only pic I have of it but its got a harris bipod and a bushnell elite 10*40 ontop.the suppresor is a SAK
snif07.jpg

Oh and just to tease you guys we can buy suppresors over the counter here, as many as you like !! you just tick a box on your rifle licence and you can run a suppresor on it legally then,no serial numbers or problems changing to a new one ect!!

I shoot a CZ455 shortened to 16.5" with a Liberty Sparrowhawk. It is stupid quiet and brings a shiteating grin to almost everyone who uses it.

Shooting IPSC steel at 200 yards with it is child's play and hilarious. "Puff"....................................."ting". It's got about 15 feet of drop at that distance. :)

We zero our T3's at 100 yards (104 yds to be exact). That works out great when we shoot out to 300 yards, it's just over a 10 mil hold with about a quarter mil of spin drift.