• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Freebore on my SPS Tactical... (corrected)

boltstop

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Colorado, USA
Well, I bought a Hornady OAL gauge (the straight one) and a bullet comparator, and determined that the freebore is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">.019</span> 0.190". Does this seem about right to you cats? Should I seat to "jam" into the rifling a bit and load for minimums like the sticky post in "Reloading" says?

How is my freebore anyway? What was yours? I think I'll crosspost this in "Reloading."

Re: Freebore on my SPS Tactical...

How you load your ammunition is up to you and depends on what bullet your running what you are doing with the rifle. For the most part you can load your ammunition off the lands and be OK. However VLD type bullets tend to like being touching or jammed into the lands a bit. Some BR guys load ammunition with very loose necks and bullets seated WAY out. This way the bullet is seated back with the bullet touching the lands when chambered. However this particular methodology does not work for field work.

Well, whatever you do, don't forget the maximum length that the mag will accommodate, unless a single shot is what you're looking for.

Longshot and TonyAngel, good points. Hammerdown, I'm using Sierra 168 gr. Matchkings. Mag length is indeed a restriction! I'm running the stock mag and haven't yet tested whether a round seated 19 thou over max OAL would actually fit. I'll have to stack 10 thou on top of this length to "jam" during workups, LOL. My bullets will be "hanging out" at nearly 30 thousandths out; I wonder if they'll even be able to stay together during loading?

I think you got the decimal point in the wrong place - it should be more like .190".

By comparison, a 95 palma reamer is .050", a "match 308" is typically .100". Remmies are known to be long.

My 308 SPS had .200" freebore in the factory chamber. I set the barrel back and rechambered with a PTG match reamer that has .089" freebore. Now I can build loads to seat the bullets just off the lands and still load them in the magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you got the decimal point in the wrong place - it should be more like .190".

By comparison, a 95 palma reamer is .050", a "match 308" is typically .100". Remmies are known to be long.</div></div>

You're right - thanks 9H for checking me before I was wrecking me. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VooDooMagic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 308 SPS had .200" freebore in the factory chamber. I set the barrel back and rechambered with a PTG match reamer that has .089" freebore. Now I can build loads to seat the bullets just off the lands and still load them in the magazine.</div></div>

You guys were right - this is why we talk, so we can back each other up. Thanks!

My 308 loves thes seated to the lands, I am shooting 168 Match kings, and 178 a-max. My .223 likes somewhere around .005-.010 jump with 69gr matchking. All bullets will shoot diffrent. Load them, find a bullet it is wanting to shoot then play with the seating depth and powder load. It took me some time, but I got out of the house and got plenty of range time. JMO

168 SMK's and 175 SMK's seem to be very jump tolerant in my experience.

175's are my "go to" load, but I have not found a .308 rifle yet that doesn't shoot well with 168 Gold Metal Match and that includes "deep throat" Remingtons.