• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

From Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist to McMillan A5 . . . my stab at stock modification.

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
Recently, I modified the Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock that my Savage 10fp has been living in for the past year or so. Immediately after buying the stock, I bedded the action and was satisfied with job that I did. I’ve been able to print groups in the ½” to ¾” range with it regularly. While the stock shot fine, I wasn’t thrilled with its overall design. The McMillan A5 is what I really would like. After returning home from a recent range session, I noticed that the front sling swivel stud was loose. That’s all it took for me to dive into full blown stock modification.

I began by removing the front “wings”. Seeing as I never “bag” the gun and only shoot prone with a bipod, the wings seemed like unnecessary bulk. I saw a Youtube video where a guy had removed them and the stock looked much better to my eye. I started with the belt sander and then switched over to a palm sander. The sanding removed the wings but also exposed some of the fiberglass mesh as well as some voids. I planned to cover the mesh and fill the voids with bondo or another filler. The A5 has a rounded profile to the stock’s forearm and, at the time, I wasn’t sure if I want to try and replicate that or not. In the end, I decided to leave the sides flat.

20140201_205306.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, I made a right angle jig to hold the stock for the next two modifications. The jig is simply two pieces of plywood joined at a right angle. The stock was secured to the jig and leveled by eye. I like the look of the off-hand hook molded into the bottom of the A5 so off to the oscillating spindle sander the stock went. I ended up sanding into the aluminum support that extends into the grip area and stopped there. I also didn’t want to go into the hollow portion of the stock, so the hook isn’t as deep as I’d prefer. I further contoured the hook with a CPVC pipe wrapped with sandpaper to make it more “hand friendly”. Sanding behind the hook made the toe area flat and, hopefully, it should ride a rear bag a little better.

20140202_141437.jpg

Next up was an adjustable cheek riser. This is actually one of those mods that’s more a requirement than just something nice to have. As mounted, the scope sits just above my eye line. I find I have to pick my head up off of the stock ever so slightly for proper eye alignment. Nothing against the kydex-type cheek rests or stock packs, but I thought I could replicate one of the factory adjustable cheek risers. I researched several mods that folks have done over the net. I think what I came up with works well and you’d be hard pressed to do something any cheaper.
I marked out the shape that I wanted on the stock using blue painters tape. Keeping the stock mounted to the right-angle jig, I didn’t look back and hit it with the band saw. I started with the cut nearest the recoil pad and then finished with the front angled cut and horizontal cut in one final pass. It actually came out really square and without much need for excessive sanding to clean it up.

20140201_205314.jpg

20140202_093859.jpg

Next came the tricky part . . . how to rig up the cheek piece hardware. Not one to have to wait to order parts, I brainstormed for an idea that would allow me to get this done with locally obtained hardware. I settled on the idea of using shaft collars and steel rod. The collars have small set screws that would allow for height adjustment as long as I could access them. An eight dollar trip to TSC had me a ready to go. I ended up purchasing shaft collars that had a 3/8” ID, ¾” OD, and were 3/8” thick. Once I marked their location on the stock, I used a Forstner bit chucked into the drill press to drill the holes. The front hole required a counter bore to be drilled deeper into the stock to allow for the 3/8” rod that would eventually support the cheek riser. The rear hole was drilled into the void so no second, smaller hole would be needed. After drilling the rear hole into the void, I was glad I didn’t make that cut for the cheek piece any deeper. I finished by drilling ¼” holes into the side of the stock so that I could access the set screws.

20140202_141553.jpg

I used epoxy to secure the collars in place. Two ¼” bolts were inserted into the set screw holes to keep the collars in place and lined up.

20140202_144202.jpg

20140202_145808.jpg

After the epoxy cured, I moved onto making the riser rods and installing them in the cheek piece. The rods were made out of 3/8” steel rod and a flat was ground on one side so that the set screws would have better purchase. I considered using aluminum rod, but this rifle is not regularly carried or shot prone, so weight was not an issue. In addition, the steel set screws would likely damage the aluminum rods faster and lead to their eventual replacement. I drilled 3/8” holes into the cheek piece, keeping it level on the drill press table as I went. I was unsure if my angles would be true and the rods would slide easily in the collars. I accepted the fact that I may have to drill the holes a bit larger and fill in with epoxy should the angles not jive. To my pleasant surprise, everything lined up just fine. I epoxied the rods in place and taped the assembly up to cure.

20140203_202638.jpg

Shortly after buying the stock, I also purchased a Badger Ordnance rail. I eventually planned to add it to the rifle for easy bipod mounting. With the front sling swivel working loose, and being the catalyst for this project, I turned my attention to installing the Badger rail. You might be able to tell from the pics, but both of the factory studs were not centered. I measured for the stock’s center line and laid out the location for through holes for the rail. T-nuts were countersunk into the barrel channel and cap head screws secured the rail. It should be ready to accept any rail-mounted bipod.

20140202_141446.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! The B&C stocks are a good value, if you're will to put some time and effort into them.

Awesome work... I thought I took my B&C medalist through some extreme mods before reading this.

I installed the GrovTech flush cups for QD sling swivels to the left side of the stock. Ideally, I would have used a ½” bit and bought the special 9/16” tap that’s required. My choice was to drill 5/8” holes and secure the flush cups with epoxy. I’m not real proud of my work with those, so I’m not going to go into further detail or post close-up pics. Time will tell if my install method holds.

Next up, I filled in the voids and other small imperfections with Bondo. I thought about using an epoxy, such as Devcon or Marine Tex, but I decided to go with the Bondo. I’m not sure if it’ll hold up quite as well as the other options, but it was less expensive and stated similar properties. The front portion of the stock was covered on all three sides, allowed to cure for 24 hours, and then given an initial sanding with 100 grit paper.

20140207_064602.jpg

I also applied filler to the cut made for the raised cheek piece.

20140207_064611.jpg

The goal with the filler here, in addition to filling in the tiny air bubbles, is to “hide” the recessed stop collars. When I originally installed them, I wanted to set them down into the stock slightly for two reasons. One, to ensure that the collars were firmly secured with the additional epoxy to their top surface and two, allow the set screw access holes to be further away from the cut line. In the above pic you can see that I placed a couple pieces of 3/8” rod into the collars to keep filler out of the holes. They were coated with Pam cooking spray, which served as a release agent. They popped free and slid out easily once the filler was cured. With the filler sanded and the holes contoured slightly, I was able to get a nice finished product.

While originally looking at ideas for the raised cheek piece, I found this post that went one step further.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showt...sion-stock-adjustable-cheek-install-pic-heavy
Instead of leaving the stock and riser as is (i.e. having the saw kerf spacing as a gap between the stock and cheek piece) the author added filler in between the cheek piece and stock to fill the original saw kerf. He applied filler to the stock or the cheek piece, and a release agent to the opposite surface. Then, he set it all back in place and allowed the filler to cure. The result was an almost seamless fit when the cheek piece was lowered. I’m not particularly concerned with that much attention to detail and don’t plan to ever shoot the gun with the cheek piece in its original position again. I felt this added step was a nice finishing touch but just beyond what I wanted to do.

Once all of the filler was cured and finish sanded, I moved onto texturing the “graspable” areas of the stock. I used blue painters tape to mask off the forearm and grip. I then drew on the tape, outlining the areas I wanted to texture. The grip proved to be the most tedious as it wasn’t a flat surface and all of the drawing I did was freehand. I followed up by cutting along my lines and removing the tape to expose the areas to receive the texturing.

20140208_174621.jpg

20140208_174629.jpg

I mixed up one of the smaller kits of Marine Tex and slathered it on the stock.

20140208_181511.jpg

Using my gloved finger, I began to pull up on the texture to make small points and ridges. I then carefully peeled up the tape to reveal a nicely bordered area of texture.

20140208_185551.jpg

20140208_185537.jpg

When researching the texturing process, one poster said to wet a finger and smooth out the transition area between the texture and stock while the Marine Tex was still soft. Most folks then let the Marine Tex dry overnight and then sand or file it down to their liking the following day (to make it less aggressive). I questioned why the wet finger technique wouldn’t work with knocking down the texture as it was working really well to smooth out the transition. I spent about five minutes wetting my finger and rubbing it lightly over the Marine Tex which was, at that time, about three hours old. I thought the result was outstanding. Plus, there was no obnoxious dust to try and get out of those nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
Nice work. I'm about to jump in on another build and you're giving me good ideas.

I worry about the set screws, even with the ground flats. Please let us know if they wind up slipping or holding. You could always double up with the set screws and that would effectively lock things in place...

I'm partial to the kydex riser because it clamps very solidly with knobs. I'm planning to cut out the relief for it so it fits flush.

The final process was to Duracoat the stock and cheek piece. The stock’s previous color, as applied by Bell and Carlson, was OD green with black spider webbing. For this final stage of the process, I decided to stick with OD green but not get too fancy. I may go back and add another color or camo pattern at some time. After several coats of Duracoat Tactical OD Green, I’m very pleased with the final product. And to celebrate the addition of the Badger Ordnance rail, I bought myself an Atlas bipod.

Before:

20140116_120441.jpg

After:

20140210_163736.jpg

20140210_163914.jpg

20140210_163857.jpg

20140210_164915.jpg

Summary and Thoughts:

I’m really satisfied to have the project completed. It took me two weekends and a handful of evenings from start to finish. Aside from the sandpaper and Duracoat that I already had on hand, I believe that I have about $40 into this project (includes riser hardware, Bondo, and Marine Tex). The band saw and oscillating spindle sander made life easier, but the job would still be doable without them.

If I were to do it again, what would I do differently? Not much actually. We’ll see how the Bondo holds up. If it deteriorates in any way I’d say it would have been wiser to use a heavier duty epoxy to fill holes. That would have made the contouring a little more difficult though as those hardier epoxies can be tough to sand. I probably wouldn’t cut the cheek riser as deep as I did on this one. As you can see from some of the pictures, I only had about 1/8” of material to epoxy the rear stop collar in place. Since the set screws are ¼”, I could easily add knobs with ¼” threads. This would allow for tool-less adjustment, but my son shoots the gun left handed and I wanted to keep that side clean. One regret that I do have was my rush to install the flush cups. By purchasing the correct tap, I would have had a much more professional and sturdy installation. I would also think hard about offsetting the rear cup from the center of the stock as this area was hollow and I believe more material exists near the toe and comb.

Well, if you’re looking at the pics and the accompanying narrative you might be tempted to do a similar mod. I’d encourage you sharpen up your saw blade, buy some sandpaper, and go for it. I don’t believe I compromised any of the structural integrity of the stock enough to result in a failure and I’m definitely happy with the functionality and aesthetics of the finished product. While it resembles the McMillan A5 on the back half, the front half is more akin to the A4. Let’s just call this one the “Four-Point-Five”.

I worry about the set screws, even with the ground flats. Please let us know if they wind up slipping or holding. You could always double up with the set screws and that would effectively lock things in place...

Doubling up on the set screws wouldn't hurt and is a good idea. But, there may not be enough thread depth for a second set. For now those little hardened buggers are biting into the riser rods enough to leave marks. I'm guessing they'll hold fine. I was looking around for knobs today to use in place of the screws. Not finding anything low-profile enough has me sticking with the set screws.

Dang that looks awesome. I have kydex saddles on both my rifles for the cheek risers and I am going to get a dedicated vertical band saw this spring so I am going after it after seeing this!

I have thoughts of setting revnuts in the stock and using a cap screw through the cheek piece with a spacer between the stock and the cheek piece. I have had a couple shotguns with adjustable cheek pieces that I could not for the life of me keep them from loosening up.

How tall is the cheek riser piece that you cut out. I have one of these and want to make an adjustable riser for it like that. I'd like to leave a little more meat in the bottom of the stock like you suggested above.

Paul

My hs will get this treatment soon. Damn good job. The pics and commentary made it super easy to follow.

How tall is the cheek riser piece that you cut out. I have one of these and want to make an adjustable riser for it like that. I'd like to leave a little more meat in the bottom of the stock like you suggested above.

Paul

Measured it just now. Looks like I cut down about 1 1/4" from the top of the comb. If I were to do it again, one inch would be what I would go with. That should be just about right to avoid plunging the 3/4" bore for the rear stop collar into the void of the stock. Obviously, a smaller hole drilled into the void would be needed to accommodate the 3/8" rod.

I feel so good about this project that I'm starting to look at other rifles as potential "patients" for some "stock surgery". I'm going to do some shooting with the rifle this week and I'll give a report back on the stock modification project as a whole, but more specifically the adjustable cheek riser.

Last edited:
Update:

I had the rifle out to the range today for its first run after the stock modifications. I'm happy to report that no accuracy was lost and all of the upgrades worked extremely well. I shot five, five-shot groups to test out some reloads. After the first string was done, I'd remembered the hook and used it for the remaining groups. It was nice to be able to stick the web of my off-hand in the hook and pull the stock back into my shoulder. With my remaining fingers, I was able to squeeze the bag as needed.

The cheek piece served its role flawlessly. From this point on, no more straining my neck trying to line up my eye behind the scope. The set screws are apparently doing their job well as the cheek piece stayed in place through the firing session of twenty five rounds. The best group of the day was just under 1/2", if you discount one called shot that I threw.

20140220_102043_1_.jpg

ASUS_-_20140220_133409.jpg

Last edited:
When I got the rifle back to the shop I discovered something amiss with the cheek piece. While the set screws held the riser rods just fine, the rear stop collar had broken loose. What little stock material had remained to secure it to was apparently not enough. So, I've managed to remove the collar from the hollow portion of the stock and am in the process of coming up with ideas for a fix.

Couple of options I'm considering . . . .

1. Since the hole for the stop collar is 3/4", I can epoxy a wood dowel into the hole and seat it at a depth that will allow the stop collar's set screws to line up with the access holes. Then, epoxy the stop collar to the dowel and stock material.

2. Fill the stock void with a filler of some kind (maybe foam insulation?), taking up the majority of the space. Then, use epoxy in the area that remains around the hole to secure the stop collar in place.

Either of these fixes will require that the cheek piece be used to set the collar in place and keep it in proper alignment. I'll also have to account for the riser rod protruding into either the dowel (in option 1) or the epoxy material (in option 2).

I did the same thing over the past couple weeks with an HS Precision stock. Minus the adj cheek piece. Nice work on yours looks good.
KJ

Damn nice work. I made 1/8" Kydex risers for both by B&C stocks. I need to do the Marinetex texture job and repaint now after seeing how well yours turned out!

Just did this mod a couple days ago after reading this post. One thing I would like to mention is how the void may not be in the exact same depths stock to stock. I cut my cheek piece to about 1". At the depth I was in the void completely were the rear adjustment collar was going.

I stuffed paper towels tightly to the rear of the stock and a little at the bottom of the void to level out a pocket. I then used a piece of wide painters tape the secure all the paper towels creating a nice square pocket.

I then filled the pocket with regular JB weld (2 packets worth). It was fully cured by the next morning. Drilled out for the collar and rod. Placed the collar and again epoxied (JB Kwik) in place with the rod through it. I used a bunch of Johnson wax as a release agent for the rods, but I twisted them around while the Kwik set up. I kept the bolts in while I did this as to not let the collars spin.

I will post some pics of my take on this mod in a bit. Thanks for inspiration and good modying to you.

Just did this mod a couple days ago after reading this post. One thing I would like to mention is how the void may not be in the exact same depths stock to stock. I cut my cheek piece to about 1". At the depth I was in the void completely were the rear adjustment collar was going.

I stuffed paper towels tightly to the rear of the stock and a little at the bottom of the void to level out a pocket. I then used a piece of wide painters tape the secure all the paper towels creating a nice square pocket.

I then filled the pocket with regular JB weld (2 packets worth). It was fully cured by the next morning. Drilled out for the collar and rod. Placed the collar and again epoxied (JB Kwik) in place with the rod through it. I used a bunch of Johnson wax as a release agent for the rods, but I twisted them around while the Kwik set up. I kept the bolts in while I did this as to not let the collars spin.

I will post some pics of my take on this mod in a bit. Thanks for inspiration and good modying to you.

Please post up photos when you can. I'm picking up some more Marine Tex tomorrow for my repair of the rear collar. I might use your method of "filling".

Sorry these are pretty bad pics. I did not finish mine with Bondo like yours so you can see where the void was pretty well. The last pic kind of shows some of the paper towels that are stuffed behind the masking tape toward the recoil pad.

akor.jpg

d4jv.jpg

vxqu.jpg

Recently, I modified the Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock that my Savage 10fp has been living in for the past year or so. Immediately after buying the stock, I bedded the action and was satisfied with job that I did. I’ve been able to print groups in the ½” to ¾” range with it regularly. While the stock shot fine, I wasn’t thrilled with its overall design. The McMillan A5 is what I really would like. After returning home from a recent range session, I noticed that the front sling swivel stud was loose. That’s all it took for me to dive into full blown stock modification.

I began by removing the front “wings”. Seeing as I never “bag” the gun and only shoot prone with a bipod, the wings seemed like unnecessary bulk. I saw a Youtube video where a guy had removed them and the stock looked much better to my eye. I started with the belt sander and then switched over to a palm sander. The sanding removed the wings but also exposed some of the fiberglass mesh as well as some voids. I planned to cover the mesh and fill the voids with bondo or another filler. The A5 has a rounded profile to the stock’s forearm and, at the time, I wasn’t sure if I want to try and replicate that or not. In the end, I decided to leave the sides flat.

20140201_205306.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, I made a right angle jig to hold the stock for the next two modifications. The jig is simply two pieces of plywood joined at a right angle. The stock was secured to the jig and leveled by eye. I like the look of the off-hand hook molded into the bottom of the A5 so off to the oscillating spindle sander the stock went. I ended up sanding into the aluminum support that extends into the grip area and stopped there. I also didn’t want to go into the hollow portion of the stock, so the hook isn’t as deep as I’d prefer. I further contoured the hook with a CPVC pipe wrapped with sandpaper to make it more “hand friendly”. Sanding behind the hook made the toe area flat and, hopefully, it should ride a rear bag a little better.

20140202_141437.jpg

Next up was an adjustable cheek riser. This is actually one of those mods that’s more a requirement than just something nice to have. As mounted, the scope sits just above my eye line. I find I have to pick my head up off of the stock ever so slightly for proper eye alignment. Nothing against the kydex-type cheek rests or stock packs, but I thought I could replicate one of the factory adjustable cheek risers. I researched several mods that folks have done over the net. I think what I came up with works well and you’d be hard pressed to do something any cheaper.
I marked out the shape that I wanted on the stock using blue painters tape. Keeping the stock mounted to the right-angle jig, I didn’t look back and hit it with the band saw. I started with the cut nearest the recoil pad and then finished with the front angled cut and horizontal cut in one final pass. It actually came out really square and without much need for excessive sanding to clean it up.

20140201_205314.jpg

20140202_093859.jpg

Next came the tricky part . . . how to rig up the cheek piece hardware. Not one to have to wait to order parts, I brainstormed for an idea that would allow me to get this done with locally obtained hardware. I settled on the idea of using shaft collars and steel rod. The collars have small set screws that would allow for height adjustment as long as I could access them. An eight dollar trip to TSC had me a ready to go. I ended up purchasing shaft collars that had a 3/8” ID, ¾” OD, and were 3/8” thick. Once I marked their location on the stock, I used a Forstner bit chucked into the drill press to drill the holes. The front hole required a counter bore to be drilled deeper into the stock to allow for the 3/8” rod that would eventually support the cheek riser. The rear hole was drilled into the void so no second, smaller hole would be needed. After drilling the rear hole into the void, I was glad I didn’t make that cut for the cheek piece any deeper. I finished by drilling ¼” holes into the side of the stock so that I could access the set screws.

20140202_141553.jpg

I used epoxy to secure the collars in place. Two ¼” bolts were inserted into the set screw holes to keep the collars in place and lined up.

20140202_144202.jpg

20140202_145808.jpg

After the epoxy cured, I moved onto making the riser rods and installing them in the cheek piece. The rods were made out of 3/8” steel rod and a flat was ground on one side so that the set screws would have better purchase. I considered using aluminum rod, but this rifle is not regularly carried or shot prone, so weight was not an issue. In addition, the steel set screws would likely damage the aluminum rods faster and lead to their eventual replacement. I drilled 3/8” holes into the cheek piece, keeping it level on the drill press table as I went. I was unsure if my angles would be true and the rods would slide easily in the collars. I accepted the fact that I may have to drill the holes a bit larger and fill in with epoxy should the angles not jive. To my pleasant surprise, everything lined up just fine. I epoxied the rods in place and taped the assembly up to cure.

20140203_202638.jpg

Shortly after buying the stock, I also purchased a Badger Ordnance rail. I eventually planned to add it to the rifle for easy bipod mounting. With the front sling swivel working loose, and being the catalyst for this project, I turned my attention to installing the Badger rail. You might be able to tell from the pics, but both of the factory studs were not centered. I measured for the stock’s center line and laid out the location for through holes for the rail. T-nuts were countersunk into the barrel channel and cap head screws secured the rail. It should be ready to accept any rail-mounted bipod.

20140202_141446.jpg

This turned out awesome. fantastic work. From the step by step detail in your write up, to the actual nuts and bolts of how you did this, to the finished product. outstanding work, thank you for sharing this!

-Paulus

Right now I'm waiting for some Marine Tex to set up. I'll post some pics in the near future of how I repaired the rear collar that broke loose after the range trip.

With the rear collar breaking loose, I employed the following fix to re-secure it in place. First, I used a hacksaw blade to extend the hole to the rear, stopping at the rear, angled cut. I didn't open the hole itself as I wanted it to still provide support for the collar. I used a plastic shopping bag to take up some of the space behind the hole.

ASUS_-_20140225_181011.jpg

Next up, I taped up the stock where I didn't want any Marine Tex. I coated the riser rods and bottom surface of the cheek riser with paste wax. I also applied paste wax to the inside of the collar and the threaded hole for the set screw. The outside surface of the collar and inside of the stock was wiped down with lacquer thinner. Once all of the prep work had been completed, I mixed up about half of the 14 oz. Marine Tex kit that I bought. It ended up being plenty, and probably overkill. I could have added more filler to the stock void to save on epoxy, but what the heck. I filled the hole with Marine Tex, ensuring that there were no air pockets or voids. Once the epoxy cured for a couple of hours, I removed the cheek riser.

ASUS_-_20140225_205200.jpg

After leaving the stock alone for three days, I sanded the Marine Tex so that it was flush with the surrounding surface. I made several passes down the hole with a 3/8" drill bit. I removed a bit of material and then tested to see if the riser had full travel. I repeated the process, removing small amounts of material with the drill until finished. Obviously, touch-up with some Duracoat will be needed to complete the fix.

ASUS_-_20140228_165326.jpg

I think I'm going to look for some sleeves with a 3/8" inside diameter. These can be cut to the length needed to keep the cheek riser at the proper height and slip right over the riser rods. While I trust the set screws to hold fast, I think that the sleeves would make it easier to reset the correct height when the cheek riser needs to be removed to clean the rifle. In reality, only one would really be needed.

Last edited:
Alright, I think we're about done. I decided to persue the idea of cutting sleeves to install on the riser rods. Again, they serve the purpose of keeping the cheek piece at a consistent height when re-installing it following cleaning/maintenance. Picked these up at Lowe's last night.

ASUS_-_20140307_160444.jpg

I cut them to length using a CPVC cutter. To sneak up on the exact length, I chucked the sleeve in my drill press and lowered it onto a piece of sandpaper again and again. Once the length was right I chamfered the ends as it spun in the press with a piece of fine grit paper.

ASUS_-_20140307_163633.jpg

ASUS_-_20140307_163743.jpg

I think the end result will work well. Once I put some paint on the repair and the sleeves I'll have to update the thread with a finished product pic. As a side note, after the last match there weren't any issues with the stock. Looking forward to a long-term evaluation and report back to the forum.

ASUS_-_20140307_164218.jpg

ASUS_-_20140307_164233.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty solid work. Hit me up for a heads up if you do another. Sure you will appreciate the conversation. Looks good!

Out of alignment risers.

I have been timid to cut the stock to make the built in cheek riser.

My fear is that the risers will not be parallel and will bind.

Is there a reason why I could not drill the holes from the bottom to 1/2" from the top of the cheek rest in a drill press. After the holes are drilled then cut the stock.

This way the holes in the but stock and cheek riser would be in alignment.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

I know in a wood gun you would have holes in the bottom, but in a synthetic gun, they would be filled and coated.

I have been timid to cut the stock to make the built in cheek riser.

My fear is that the risers will not be parallel and will bind.

Is there a reason why I could not drill the holes from the bottom to 1/2" from the top of the cheek rest in a drill press. After the holes are drilled then cut the stock.

This way the holes in the but stock and cheek riser would be in alignment.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

I know in a wood gun you would have holes in the bottom, but in a synthetic gun, they would be filled and coated.

hermosabeach,

I think that's a valid idea. However, it would be best to drill the 3/4" holes for the collars first as they'd be hard to place once you drilled the 3/8" holes for the rods. Just the nature of drilling the larger hole without something to center the bit.

I also considered coming in from the top of the stock rather than the bottom, but again, no way to center the larger hole. One idea would be to drill the holes and insert the rods in the cheek piece first. Then, when you install the collars, you'd use the cheek piece to "set" them. The key is to keep whatever part you're drilling level both directions (left/right and front/back) on the drill press table.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. If you come up with a different plan of attack please share it. I'm sure "my way" wasn't the best.

Last edited:
We had a chance this past weekend to fire the Savage with the modified B&C stock again. The adjustment collars for the raised cheek piece seem to be holding strong. On Friday, my 12-year old son fired about 15 rounds in preparation for Saturday's match. The next day, he completed the 20-round course of fire and came in second overall. I finished third.

I cleaned the rifle and it was certainly nice to be able to place the cheek piece back without fussing with the height adjustment. Those nylon collars work great. In the next couple of weeks I'll be Duracoating a couple of guns and I'm looking forward to touching up the stock cut.

We recently purchased a Savage Model 10FP in .223 from a friend of mine. My son is already dreaming up a paint scheme for his rifle, complete with a DIY modded B&C stock we'll work up for him in the not too distant future. I'll post pics of that project when we start. Stay tuned . . .

Last edited:
How did the bondo hold up? I am thinking of going the same route.

Bondo is holding up just fine. No signs of cracking or wanting to come off. Admittedly, where I did use the Bondo it was fairly thin. Mainly used it to fill small voids and even smaller pinholes or bubbles. Worked well for that purpose.