• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Front ADL TG Screw?

palma

Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
What purpose does the front ADL trigger guard screw serve (i.e., the BDL only has 2 action screws)? Is it's purpose only to hold the mag box in place and to more firmly secure the trigger guard? Is there any inherent loss in accuracy if the front screw is not used?

The reason that I ask is that I recently received a McMillan stock that was supposedly inletted for a single shot action (TAC30) and an ADL trigger guard. To my surprise, there was no hole for the front screw. I initially thought that they inletted the stock for the old McMillian TG (see below), but the ADL TG fits so that may not be the case. I have used the front screw for single shot actions in the past. Thoughts?

MCMILLAN-TRIGGER-GUARD.jpg

I really don't want to call McMillan as they'll say to send it back no matter what (i.e., I doubt the person who fields the call will know anything).

Re: Front ADL TG Screw?

As far as I know it only holds the TG better....Preadator action correct? Maybe they don't use the front TG screw? If MCM inlet for the TAC30 then maybe no front TG hole.

I have seen a couple setups where the TG had a hole in the front of it (normal ADL TG) but the screw was short and only interacted with the stock, so you really only had 2 of the screws into the action.

I have 2 ADL's and in both cases the front tg screw went all the way to the receiver. Sounds like a minor oops on McMillian's part, call them and see what they say (yes it will probably be to send it back).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 ADL's and in both cases the front tg screw went all the way to the receiver. Sounds like a minor oops on McMillian's part, call them and see what they say (yes it will probably be to send it back).

</div></div>

Might not be an oops, the stiller might not have the front screw hole for the TG, which leads to my previouse post about it being secured to the stock

I'd personally just drill a hole and epoxy a threaded insert in the hole for whatever screw floats your boat.
I never understood the purpose for the long ADL screw, as its too skinny to really do much for the stability of the action.