• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full length vs neck sizing

Msprink05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
WNC
This has probably been covered but i need some quick info. Im going to order a set of dies for a project rifle im working on in 243. Since it is my only 243 would it be better to order a fl die set or a neck sizer die set? Since its only really going to be a hunting rifle im looking at the lee dies. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Matt

Re: Full length vs neck sizing

Or..Simply, What is the advantages of fl sizing brass compared to just neck sizing?

FL sizer and go with Forester. Get the Comp seater as well.

They have these set at Midway.

Matter of fact I just bought one set.
Still the great quality at a cheaper price.

I only neck size, and segregate my brass. What reliability does FL sizing bring, that's lacking in neck sizing?

Full length size for the hunting rifle.
If your not going to be changing seating depths often or going through 10 different brands of bullets then A set of plain ole Lee dies will be fine.
my 2 cents

For standard dies, you're way ahead with Forster. Much better seater. Good lock rings, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only neck size, and segregate my brass. What reliability does FL sizing bring, that's lacking in neck sizing? </div></div>
Since he asked what to get for a hunting rifle and was looking at Lee dies, FL is much easier to work with. You don't have to mess with all the details of a neck sizer for a simple hunting rig. Plus the reliability of chambering when FL sizing. If you have to ask should I FL or neck size, then the answer should be FL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only neck size, and segregate my brass. What reliability does FL sizing bring, that's lacking in neck sizing? </div></div>
Since he asked what to get for a hunting rifle and was looking at Lee dies, FL is much easier to work with. You don't have to mess with all the details of a neck sizer for a simple hunting rig. Plus the reliability of chambering when FL sizing. If you have to ask should I FL or neck size, then the answer should be FL. </div></div>

Another point is you are hammer forging your brass everytime you only Neck size. Giving the bras a place to go keeps it from getting hard and splitting. If you doing big calibers and high pressure rounds you can ruin the brass in about 2-3 firings by just neck sizing.

Wouldn't the act of squeezing the brass back down, and it expanding time after time wear the brass more? Seems like the more you work the brass, the faster it would wear out.

Semi auto-- FL size
Bolt -- Neck size. Never had any problem with cycling. But if you want utterly reliability, then FL. I am lazy so don't want to do anything extra if I don't have to. JMHO.

Another option, a redding full length s bushing die. Full length size and only work part of the neck. It fixed my doughtnut problem by just leaving some "slack" in the bushing.

I used to Nk size only years ago but started FL sizing and haven’t looked back. Just bump the shoulder .0015" and you'll be GTG. I feel accuracy is better when FL sizing because the shoulder of the brass is in the same place in relation to the chamber shoulder allowing the bolt to close the same on each piece of brass. This eliminates uneven pressure on the chambered rounds between the datum line and bolt face.